1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How has James Harden started off the season??

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by peleincubus, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Joseph Ho

Joseph Ho Member

This season Harden ISO just as much as last season. But the reason why his ISO was magnified last year because of how much the Rockets struggled and his turnover rates. This year, his ISO play is within the same percentage as last year but the difference is there are spacing, movement and fluidity. The Rockets did not have good shooters last year so it makes it easier for defenses to clogged the middle and focuses on Harden. It also doesn't help either having Dwight Howard in the middle. There was no system, lack of shooters and stagnant offense makes his ISO plays look worst. This year, his Isolation is more effective because he's able to play to his strength and having shooters like Anderson and Gordon stretching out the defense. The Rockets signed Anderson because having a PF who can shoot the 3s that well will open up everything. Last year, the Rockets played Clint, Dmo, T-Jones, J-Smith etc at the PF position, which allows defenders to camp out in the lane and focuses more on Harden.

With Anderson out there, no defender would dare to leave him. Also, the PnR plays are more effective and efficient. On PnR, Harden has more options to pick and choose. The roller can either attack the basket, be a decoy, or step out and shoot. Also, on PnR plays, there are movements from the other players which gives Harden more options. Guys like KJ cutting behind the defense or having Eric Gordon move to an open spot makes life much easier. With Eric Gordon on the floor with Harden, defense can't rotate all the way to Harden because of Gordon's scoring ability, and a rejuvenated Trevor Ariza is a major plus for this team.

The Rockets dumping T-Jones, Josh Smith, and Dwight Howard really changed the dynamic of this team. Montrez Harrell is still young and developing but he brings so much to this team. It's a breath of fresh air watching Trez's tenacity and aggressive play compared to T-Jones. Montrez compliments Harden so well because he's willing to run the floor, hustle, attack the basket hard on PnR with Harden, and his mid-range jump shot is become consistent.

hakeem94 and peleincubus like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He has been DD!

Brilliant

#42 ThatBoyNick, Nov 4, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
  3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Great post man

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He hes been breellent!

EE

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

this might be the best one

DD

Pen15clubber likes this.
  6. bongman

bongman Member

He made 50% of those step backs for 2ptr's and almost 60% on 3's. Any coach would love those stats. With regards to Anderson, check the highlites against NY and take note of where Porzingis usually is when defending. hint: he is not in the paint where he can either block or alter shotts as he was trying to cover Anderson. Even though he is not known as a defensive stopper, he is lengthy and can cause problems there.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

We are talking offseason people. Offseason. Not even practice. But Offseason.

hakeem94 likes this.
  8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

PM me before you hit "post" at 99,999

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I said nothing about his ability to make those shots. I simply stated he is not taking as many of them. And while he made so many of them, I would never WANT a player to take those shots over passing to wide open three point shooters or driving to the rim. There is no doubt that he can make that shot. But there should be no doubt that layups and wide open shots are better for the team.

10. bongman

bongman Member

Duh!!! who wants to pass up a layup for an open shot over a step back? based on those percentages, would you rather have somebody else taking the shot or harden iso and do a step back? y would go away from one of the most effective shots that is impossible to stop and very effective? its like asking duncan to not take those 15-20 ft bankshots.

11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Why would I want him to take more layups than dribble for 15 seconds and then take a stepback? I'm okay with those shots when we can't find anything else, or at the end of quarters/games. I'm not okay with those shots as part of the every play offense. I don't even know why you're arguing with me.

12. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

it's so sad. this man is heaven sent. he is a bonafide superstar. yet, the pieces aren't there to contend for a title.

this era holds the same fate as the yao/tmac era...

it's sad and maddening at the same time...

see signature