1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How harden and cp3 must play together

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MultipleSauces, Jul 30, 2017.

1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It seems weird to say welcome when you've clearly been here long enough to know we say mulitple sauces and discuss quite frequently. Also, the too long didn't read thing... so I'll just say hello for the first time. Glad you decided to post.

Regarding what you've said, I agree. As soon as I read what you said, I thought to myself, 'set picks if you're not Chris or Harden and always use the side that's loaded to run those picks and frequently have that pick set for you instead'. I might do some research later and draw up plays, but I will say this, your idea goes against MDA's system. It's called 'pace and space', not jumble up everyone running plays on the strong side. I wish I could hear James', Chris' or MDA's ideas regarding this. I should hope someone in the media will eventually ask them.

I have to think you'll see a lot of double pick n rolls as well. I think we have the personnel to do it now. Especially if Oliver makes the squad. If he's in the rotation and we get Melo, I think we'll be able to run that pick and roll quite a bit. Setting a second pick doesn't have to be a strong pick, just a rub really. So, you're not going to wear out Harden and Melo when the second pick is picking off a guy who's barely started going the opposite direction. That second pick guy will often be available at the three point line, so that's why I mentioned Oliver. Dude shoots fairly well from downtown.

Here's another idea: Fake the first PnR and run the second PnR with two new guys. Let's say we come down the court in a standard PnR start. Paul will initiate, two guys in the corners, Harden in the high wing spot. Chris and Harden run a handoff play while the center sets a pick for Oliver or Melo to come loose, then you run a PnR with Harden and Melo instead of Chris Paul and a center. The reason you do that is because you're running the PnR with a help defender that's either late, or mismatched with Capela on a shorter PF. Lobs likely amongst the confusion and it will be hard to help on the Harden/Paul handoff because 2/3rds of the rest of the offense is running a play in the paint. I think you could run this play with one or two extra seconds on the possession.

#21 don grahamleone, Jul 31, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  2. MultipleSauces

No pain no gainz breh!
    great observation sir that's absolutely true and I think during the long regular season we might see them "conserving energy" like this but as long as they're healthy and building momentum towards playoffs it's fine
    true that. Cp3 has his respect and he will listen unlike Dwight lol

3. MultipleSauces

Wow great post don I agree with what you said and I'm sure mda knows a lot better than me how to design an nba offense lol in my mind we just gotta get our players to buy in and execute because with video scouting these days it's hard to surprise opponents with the same tricks in a seven game series . Rock adlemans inverted offense was great because it had counters so even if they caught onto our tricks we could run a cariation and confuse them even more so hopefully our players have enough chemistry to accomplish this. It's weird for me too because I've lurked so long and I feel like I know u guys very well but no one knows me lol. Shoutout to Dd and bbholic lol

don grahamleone likes this.
  4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Correction: CP3 will show the world that he can elevate Clint's play to Deandre Jordan's level.

MultipleSauces likes this.
  5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Agreed...Melo will make the Rox fast break faster, more athletic while scoring more layups,dunks being more EFFICIENT especially playing at home than Anderson ever was

6. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

MDA gonna have a field day with Harden controlling 1/2 of the court and CP3 controlling the other 1/2...the bigger concern in my opinion should be HOW teams will defend against the 2 headed snake

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I agree with this, though I will say that I think Anderson is a better defender than Kanter and a few others, so he isn't at the bottom of the barrel. :)

8. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

What's funny is that Jordan is a really good player and I would def take him over Clint but if you looks at we're Jordan was in his 3rd year and clints age, clint is out producing him by a country mile.

I feel like Clint won't be the rebouder Jordan is but he's already the better offensive player.

If Clint can play 30mpg he will put up 16-18ppg with 10 rebounds and 2blk.

Dude is either going to get paid or he will be the center piece to a major trade for a star mid season

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. samtaylor

samtaylor Member