1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Half Of America Lost Its F**king Mind

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dayop, Oct 18, 2016.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Good article, thanks for posting.

2. Dei

Dei Member

Yeah, it was a pretty good article. I think the title is being sarcastic at liberals who paint Trump supporters as crazy.

Great job showing that there is a neglected white working class. But I will say that it's more than country vs. city. Immigration, foreign policy, political integrity are also big themes.

3. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Sounds like a list of excuses for the basket of deplorables. Don't know if they've been to inner cities but they aren't exactly a paradise, so many don't care about the "Woe be unto the white working class!" it doesn't give them an excuse to turn to a fool like a Trump spouting xenophobic ideas.

Put it like this, the Civil Rights movement was born out of a neglected community and it was about bringing people together.

Now this article does explain the anger of rural America well but it doesn't really excuse voting for Trump. Immigration? Really? A lot of these states have a 90% white population and they've somehow figured that immigration is ruining their specific community and the 1% Muslims are taking over the country?

Alright then.

4. CCorn

CCorn Member

If trump starts world war 3, I guess the days of being a hunter/gatherer could come back.

Aren't these the people that should be voting D?

edwardc likes this.
  5. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

That is the problem with democracy, uninformed voters who have no idea what they are voting for.

mdrowe00 and edwardc like this.
  6. edwardc

edwardc Member

And the really sad part is some of them don't care .

mdrowe00 likes this.
  7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Trump's base consists almost entirely of white, uneducated males. That should tell you all you need to know about how uninformed his voters are.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

----------------------------------
    "The blue around the dick-shaped Lake Michigan" -- from article
    ----------------------------------

wtf???"

Has America lost its "F**king Mind" so much that ppl now refer to Lake Michigan as Dick Shaped vs a Woman in a Ball Gown.
    Or we are watching waaaaay too much pr0n

9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The rural way of life is dying - but so is the urban way of life - everyone is getting squeeze - hardly any profession pays as well as it once did. Think about it, doctors don't make as much, lawyers are facing the bite, people in finance complain about stagnate wages unless you break through to the top.

The money is getting sucked up to the very few richest - the stats bear this out. We've created a system where there is no incentive for the rich to reinvest as they no longer have to pay much in tax so they can just cash in and sit on their money.

It's unsustainable and will collapse. This is exactly what Marx predicted - and I think Trump is the harbinger of the future - the day will come when the right and left unite as simply working class people fed up with a system that keeps them poor and they will overthrow it.

Dayop likes this.
  10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The real answers are Twitter, Facebook, reality television and non-affiliated web journalism for stripping information and accomplishment to their most superficial forms, and further detaching the poor from effective and prudent political decisions. The people who nominated Adlai Stevenson and elected Woodrow Wilson were orders of magnitude dumber, more racist and abusive than anyone responsible for this screw up. Separately there are probably some specific issues with pooled fundraising at a party level, that allow Committee bureaucrats to blackmail dissenting politicians into supporting horrible nominees to create the appearance of unity. Partly because they can't kneecap him like a Henry Wallace in '44.

11. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Or where I used to live in Lubbock, where you could go into a McDonald's at 7 AM and hear a bunch of middle-aged and elderly white men talking about the "boy" in the White House (yes, they did say that). Thank God I don't live in that town anymore. I'll deal with the ridiculous traffic and humidity of Houston (The Woodlands) any day over that crap.

12. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Good article. I'm surprised this thread isn't more active.

13. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

To all my hilly billy motha.... Go listen to some blue grass and think about your cousin in her Sunday dress... don't commit suicide.

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Middle class Americans of any race and white Americans of any income level have pretty much had the entire world's axis tilted in our direction for two-thirds of a century, so there's work and cheap housing somewhere if you just put on a clean dress shirt, don't drink your ass off every night of your twenties, and have the tenacity to leave town after high school or even live in unflattering and unfamiliar conditions in more vibrant job markets. Even if there weren't, voting for Ted DiBiase wouldn't change that.

#15 Dairy Ashford, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    da_juice likes this.
  15. Dei

Dei Member

Why would they vote for more of the same? The Democrats have not helped them. Your continued victim blaming and belittling of their plight by comparison is the one that's deplorable.

These people don't need to be facing the problem of immigration in their neighborhoods to recognize its danger. They're smart. They see the problem from far away. Those who have been affected by immigration have had their communities destroyed by immigrants who don't integrate and are very crime prone (and we all know it's underreported). But immigration is just one problem keeping rural America away from voting Democrat.

tmacfor35 likes this.
  16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Victim blaming? Boy are you confused as always. Also the Democrats? Rural america has Republicans to blame for that, it's Republicans who go to bat for Rural American and apparently it is Republicans who have been failing them. I know it's very easy to just blame every problem you have on the 'other' on democrats, blacks, mexicans, and muslims but it's not very logical and sound and it sure doesn't help bring the country together.

They're smart? Well it's been proven that uneducated whites are the ones that are most likely to support Trump. So I'm not so sure about that.

It is the main issue though is it not? I just find it odd, so many of these areas are so mainly white I wonder how they come up with their imaginations that immigration from Mexico is ruining THEIR community with crime.

Also lol, integrate. You live in Texas right? Because if you do there isn't much integrating one has to do if they are coming from Mexico. If anything someone from New York would have to do more to integrate than someone coming from Mexico legally or illegally. But continue to be paranoid about your white genocide. We all know that's what this is mainly about for you.

17. Dei

Dei Member

It's the president that controls a lot of immigration and economic policy.

But what is it with the "bring the country together" rhetoric anyway? The left loves to throw this phrase around. What does it mean/want exactly? Is the "togetherness" of the country the end all and be all for any political discussion? How will we achieve that? It genuinely sounds like rhetoric to silence honest discussion about very real and very serious problems in society.

By measure of college education. Trade skills are highly undervalued today.

Because migrants have ruined communities they have moved into. People don't have to get the virus to think it's bad to get it.

Actually, many migrants form ghettos and isolate themselves in their own communities. Apart from the crime, they don't identify with nor work for the betterment of the rest of society. We have communities living side by side who don't interact with each other, don't talk the same language, don't even like each other.

Multiculturalism is a failed paradigm. It's not compatible with the concept of nation.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

You are vastly underplaying the power and impact local governors and mayors have. Vastly. Also again, which areas are we talking about? Those that are a vast majority white and see no immigration? Rural middle america?

Bring the country together is quite simple. It means stop blaming 'others' for your problems among other things.

Doesn't invalidate my point. Yes trade skills are undervalued, but the uneducated white people love Trump.

You are right. Texas and California are RUINED thanks to immigrants...lol...virus.

So people from Mexico and South America are a virus to you? You fit right into that basket of deplorables.

Actually many migrants do just fine in this country. I'd like some stats and figures other than your own paranoid "White Genocide!" viewpoint. Many do identify with American culture, hell many of them CREATED things that are considered american and have contributed to American culture. Also, many do learn english and many know two languages. As for 'don't even like each other' speak for yourself. Many people don't think like you do.

Also America was built on multiculturalism, maybe it's time for you to move to another country that suits your ideals better.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When I read this all I hear is whining and victimhood. What happened the land of opportunity and pulling yourself by the bootstraps?

I'm the son of immigrants. In fact I'm technically an anchor baby since when I was born my parents were only here on student visas. Both my parents were professors at American universities and helped educate a generation of Americans. I work in architecture and have worked on some very large projects have helped employ hundreds, if not thosands of other Americans. For what it's worth since I live in a state that is about 95% white most of the people I've helped to employ are white people. In construction the very type of white blue collar workers that form the core of Trump's support.

My father worked his ass off from poverty in Hong Kong to earn a scholarship to Rice University. He stayed around to become a professor teaching Americans and building a family even while he put up with occasional mocking of his accent and being called a "Chink" from people who he knew more English vocabulary than they did.

The thing is though that my family isn't unusual or even exceptional. Many of them came from much worse than my family did. Millions of immigrant families work their asses off leaving behind the comfort and familiarity of countries and cultures just to take the chance on a new life in a place that supposedly rewards hard work and provides opportunity.

But from you I hear that immigrants are a disease that they are ruining communities they are coming too. Well if those communities are so fragile that they can't handle the competition from immigrants what does it say about that culture? If you're so afraid of immigrants that you have to build a wall to hide behind maybe your culture isn't as strong as you think and the failure of multiculturalism and togetherness is your problem and not the immigrants.

I have no problem speaking English, I love watching football on Sundays, drinking local beer, with a juicy burger. I also speak Chinese and Spanish, sing Irish songs, enjoy Bun Mi, spar in Judo and Brazilian Jujitsu. Multiculturalism doesn't scare me. Why are you so afraid?

da_juice, superfob and JayGoogle like this.