1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good were the Dixie Chicks?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Jan 22, 2015.

1. what

what Member

Why because they were a popular female group? Because they played the **** out of their instruments, or because Natalie Maines was/is one of the 10 greatest female singers of the 2000s. And probably one of the 10 best female country singers of all time.

I don't mind that you don't like somebody, but it really doesn't make a lot of logical sense that you hate a group who is so clearly excellent in every aspect of their artistry.

2. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Chill out a bit what. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but I'll assume not for the moment. I don't like the Dixie Chicks. I said nothing about their talent.

Logical sense does not apply to taste. How can you possibly prove that this Chick was one of the best vocalists of the 2000s? I think Tom Waits is one of the best singers and I'm sure you'd laugh at that notion. You cannot be logical about the things that you like. Logic does not apply to taste which makes "best band ever" conversations dumb. I told you I don't actually hate them and I respect their political stance when they understood country music fans are overwhelmingly republican and would object to their anti-Bush rhetoric.

3. what

what Member

You said you hated them. It wasn't like you just didn't like them, but you couldn't stand to listen to them for some reason. And what doesn't make any sense is that they were masters at their instruments.

I am not a big fan of the red hot chili peppers, but I do recognize that flea is a bad ass bass player.

Tom Waits is fine. You dismissing the chicks talents are your ignorance in music rather your taste in it, in my opinion.

4. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Agree on Supremes & Ronettes.

Let's add L7, Shonen Knife, and the aforementioned Sleater Kinney.

6. Raven

Raven Member

They suck, but so does most country music. I guess what I hate about them is their phony corporate sheen of authenticity and the fact their music is so generic. Most country music is like that, though, completely interchangeable.

7. what

what Member

So the dixie chicks are corporate?

the one group that went against their base to oppose a war and derail their entire career? Makes sense to me.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Criticizing the president doesn't suddenly make their music antiestablishment.

9. what

what Member

Oh yeah and the group that wrote: Not Ready to Make Nice and wore Tee-shirts that said: FUTK

10. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably more so once they learned how make music videos and began to mirror soft rock once the latter was too misaligned with the youth market. Late '60s to early '80s stuff is pretty strong, though.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BTrTZQC4ixI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0rdF7o08KXw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/HiVunqkZ1RM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/61fuU1OD5Og" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. the shark

the shark Member

The same level as the Eagles??? The freakin Dixie chicks? Dude what color is the sky in your world?

12. what

what Member

and you made me 1 female artist or group, that has come out in the last 5 years, that you consider an important artist?

13. what

what Member

*name me

14. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

i hope the OP is just trollin' with this thread.:confused:

i dont even like the eagles and i dont dislike the dixie chicks, but there is no comparison there. the eagles can do a 3 hour concert and you will know every song by heart. they sold hundreds of millions of records and are generally acknowledged as one of the top 20-25 groups of all time. they all went on to have successful solo careers too.

i have heard people pine for original G&R, zeppelin and the smiths...but i have never heard anyone say that they wanted the dixie chicks to get back together.

maybe i dont hang around with enough suburban soccer moms?

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

16. what

what Member

Name me 1 female group or singer, in the last 5 years, that you think are important to music. If you can't name me one, your perspective is probably skewed.

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

To put this into perspective;

Total album sales based on NielsenSoundScan 1991-Present:

Spice Girls - 85mil
    TLC - 70mil
    Destiny's Child - 60mil
    The Pussycat Dolls - 54mil
    Bananarama - 40mil
    AKB48 (Japanese Pop) - 33.7mil
    The Dixie Chicks - 30.5mil

I would say they were only really significant in the Country music world. Outside of that, they aren't even in the Top 5 sales all time. They were a good female blue grass band, but nothing so great as proclaimed on here.

18. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

And with the whole Eagles comparison, numbers are between 100-150mil + in total album sales. I wouldn't go comparing The Dixie Chicks to them, in any way.

19. what

what Member

Yeah that's a good list. Remember, however, that the controversy happened at the beginning of their jump into superstardom and they fell apart, sales plummeted. They were on their way to BIG things when this happened. They were certainly posed to crossover into mainstream pop.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Audible lol. Really? I doubt they would sell out the patio at Christian's Tailgate on White Oak.