1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good was Orlando T-Mac..?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Starvela, Jul 21, 2010.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't put Tmac anywhere close to Jordan. not even if they were in the same room should you even mention them in the same sentence.

Here's my question to all of you.. Do you realize that T-mac was with Orlando for only 4 years? He was with the Rockets longer.

Why are people here acting like high school girls who saw Twilight on this subject?

His 4 year period was not that spectacular. really what happened in 4 years? Did he win the MVP? Did he have some spectacular NBA playoff run that you see "WHERE AMAZING HAPPENS" commercials?

Maybe it's just cause I'm an older fan who has seen Magic, Bird, Drexler, Jordan, Dream, etc

but really it's not cause LeBron, Kobe, Wade, Duncan, Shaq and even Iverson were better than Tmac

Was he a fun player to watch? when he was making shots he was. What about when he wasn't making shots?

1 person likes this.
  2. tinman

Supporting Member

Utah 113
    Houston 91

Yeah that was such a fantastic memory. Oh Tmac was hot for the whole game but he ran out of gas in the 4th.. (insert sympathy for T-mac generalization)

3. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

T-mac could have been great, But was his own worst enemy. He had great moments that's for sure. But for as "great" as some of you think he was, he never won a playoff series, not even in a weak eastern conference.

I'm not trying to kill the guy, but it just seems like T-Mac fans are so blinded by what he could have done. Fact is he didn't do much when it comes down to the most important thing, winning.

Yes I remember the who was better Kobe or T- mac days. Those days are long gone people, Kobe seperated himself as an all time great with five titles. Mac, well, he'll give you at least five EXCUSES on why it wasn't his fault.

I'll give you Five reasons why he never won. Lack of heart, drive, accountability , willingness to really put the team on his back consistently when it counted and heart! Yes heart counts double, it was that big of a flaw

4. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

That's Houston T-Mac not Orlando T-mac..LOL!

In all, seriousness I also grew up watching late 80's and 90's basketball and those are by far my favorite era's in basketball..All my favorite players are from the 80's and early 90's...I wasn't putting T-mac in Jordan's level, I was saying great players have bad nights, you brought up a single 7-24 playoff performance to make the point that he wasn't unstoppable..

5. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

To me, saying 'if he had heart' is like saying 'if xxxxxx had a great jump shot'. It's such an integral part of the package I couldn't make a guess unless I saw at least a small part of it play out.

But back in the day Tmac was neck and neck with Kobe IMHO. Not only did he have the skill set but he had the height. Durant may be the answer to 'what if'.

6. dream_team

dream_team Member

The last couple of years he was in Orlando, I seriously thought he was the best player in the NBA. I know alot of you will think I was crazy, but that's what I seriously thought.

But once he came to Houston, I started to see his flaws more. He was a decent off-ball defender, but sucked on-ball. I don't think he cared to be the best player in the league. But I think his biggest flaw was he relied too much on his jump shot. At the end of a game, when you're called on to close out the game, superstars always find a way to score. T-Mac was great doing this when his jump shot was on, but when it wasn't, he continued to shoot that jump shot instead of taking it to the rim or trying to draw fouls. This is the reason I think he never won a playoff series.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

It never was legit.
    Unless you never considered defense.

Kobe was always a VASTLY superior defender to T-Slack

Rocket River

8. tinman

Supporting Member

I put a GAME 7 performance because that's when you make your fame in the playoffs.

You are absolutely right, some great players have bad games in the playoffs,
    but no great players go 13 years without winning a playoff series.

9. Starvela

It's simple, some of us have a great appreciation for the way he was performing in those four years..Some of you don't, and that's fine..Just because you don't feel same as I or we do, doesn't give you the right to accuse us as people here acting like high school girls who saw Twilight on this subject....

10. Starvela

That's exactly how I feel...

11. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Oh c'mon, this isn't even really what we're discussing. All we're talking about is the guy's talent, which was absolutely off the charts. He was capable of incredible things. If he had been able to put it all together, if he had had that killer instinct and a body that didn't betray him, he could have been an all-time great. Yes, his career has been disappointing. No, he didn't even come close to reaching his potential.

But if he had? I think he would have been better than Kobe. Maybe not a top-5 all-time type of player, but top-20? Possibly. He really did have all-world talent.

12. Starvela

Yeah but Toronto T-Mac was a better defender that Kobe ever was..LOL!! Just kidding..

13. tinman

Supporting Member

there's a lot of "?"s and "if"s and "could have"s and "Kobe" here

oh must be a tmac thread :)

14. Starvela

Yeah maybe you're right, I think he would have been better than Kobe but not top 5 of all time...

15. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

What is wrong with you?

Of course there a lot of "if"s and "could have"s. I'm saying he didn't reach his potential. I'm speculating about WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN.

You are so freaking annoying sometimes.

16. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

One reason that Tmac seems a lot more spectacular with the Magic was because he was THE guy on the team. The Magic pretty much gave him the ball every possession and let him go loose, resulting in more spectacular dunks, impossible plays, and 40+ point performances. He was still the same spectacular player when came to the Rockets, except, with the presence of Yao and a disciplinary Coach Van Gundy, Tmac had to slow his game down and didn't need to dominate as much as he used to. Of course, there was a natural decline over the years since he wasn't a very durable player. But he was still a top 5 - 10 player up til the 07-08 season.

17. Starvela

18. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Thank you!!

I hate how jaded some houston fans are on tmac!! How can u say he didn't have heart!? What about the Dallas series when the refs screwed us over!? He domenated that series offensively and half the time he was gaurding Dirk, and doing pretty well I might add! Or the legendary performance against SA!! that'll never be done again by anybody!! That was the deffenetion of heart and will to win!!!

He was so good with us the first 4 years that in the last 2 we were axpecting 30 year old who has played in the NBA since he was 17 to not have a few injuries!!!

In my openion he's the greatest rocket since Hakeem and Clyde! He SHOULD go to the HOF as a rocket and I think he will!!

He's a HOF player who has had a bad ending to an amazing career!! You people critisize him for getting bad knees after playing his guts out for 12 Years at the highest level of competetive basketball, when I bet most of you haven't even played basketball to see what it can do to ur body! I have played my whole life, I'm still young and I feel it in my knees everyday!!

Get off his back and appreciate how he saved our rockets from being lottery bound every year!!

19. Starvela

Speculating is fun isn't it, this is why I started this thread...

20. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Incredible offensive game. Could stroke the ball from almost anywhere on the floor, got to the lane at will, and finished well around the rim.

At times lacked necessary passion in games that didnt mean much.

Hasnt ever been a top-level defender.