1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good was Orlando T-Mac..?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Starvela, Jul 21, 2010.

1. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

People forget how good T-mac was. He was a talent that only comes once in a blue moon. People also forget that going into the 07-08 season the Lakers were willing to trade Kobe straight up for him, but the Rockets turned it down. (Hindsight is 20/20).

In all honesty you have to give tracy some credit with his years in Houston. In the playoffs he basically carried this team with very little help around him. Anyone remember game 6 against Utah when he put up 40 points in 08? Its just sad injuries derailed him.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBSPkIhHNzs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TBSPkIhHNzs&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vvj1YVz5LqA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vvj1YVz5LqA&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

2. Starvela

Starvela Contributing Member

I argued for T-mac back then, when he was in Orlando..When he was in Orlando it was a legitimate case between Kobe vs T-Mac..Of course T-Mac is not even in the same galaxy now as Kobe..

3. Entropy

Entropy Member

I doubt its in Adelman's style to enable him. If anything, Adelman destroyed him because he probably treated Tracy like everyone else on the team and his fragile ego could not withsand it.

4. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

Almost forgot...

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oHkdCD-XvaQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oHkdCD-XvaQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

5. Jontro

Jontro Member

When he puts his mind into it, he was unstoppable offensively. Better than Kobe. Must be his eye, fools the defender. His eyes look down, but he's actually looking up eying a rebound.

...and I never liked him during his Toronto/Orlando years.

6. Starvela

Nice video's, but watching his Orlando highlights is what made me start this thread..He was sick in Orlando..

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was in the East back then and the East was inferior with an exception of a few teams. I remember Steve Francis and Cutino Mobley just walking over the eastern conference when they were with the Rockets.

I want it to be clear for people:

We got that Orlando T-mac, he didn't magically 'get worse' with the Rockets. He played with a better team and better coach in a better conference.

Remember how he left Orlando? One of the worst teams in the league.
    Remember how LeBron left Cleveland? the team with the best record in the league.

8. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

My bad... (Just mute the horrible song in the video lol)

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HFmQNOby5pM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HFmQNOby5pM&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

9. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

So? That's obviously not the point he was making. He was speculating about how good McGrady could have been.

I think he could have been one of the best ever. He would have had to win a few championships to be considered Top Five, so it depends on what his situation was.

Let's say after a disastrous '03-'04, T-Mac develops the sort of focus and killer instinct that you see in Kobe. If he had remained healthy, could a motivated T-Mac have won a few titles with Dwight Howard? I think so.

We'll never know, unfortunately.

It was still a GREAT trade.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

oh yes he was stoppable.

Game 7 in the playoffs:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/200305040DET.html

7 out of 24?

unstoppable?

yes. this is Orlando T-mac, the scoring machine.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Agreed.

T-mac was never a walking 24 second violation like Francis.

Basketball IQ T-mac > Steve

12. RoxSqaud

RoxSqaud Member

Tinman, who do you like in the NBA today?

13. Starvela

Great points, and he did also start gaining weight when he came to Houston..

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

If you check his splits, he played great against Western Conference teams back then too. His teammates in Orlando were not good. The Magic invested a lot of money in Grant Hill, and he basically never played.

Were the Rockets not a better team after trading for T-Mac?

EDIT: Was writing this before your last post. Still, I don't think changing conferences is what caused McGrady's decline.

15. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

He was always "good", even showed flashes of greatness... It was never enough though.

16. Starvela

That's one game..lol! Everyone has a bad game..Too many examples but here's three for you:

Kobe's recent game seven vs the Celtics....

Jordan in the 1996 Finals Game 4 6-19..? and Game 6 5-19..?

Yeah, I know they won but look at there supporting cast...

17. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

I've always looked at it this way. He suffered from bipolar multiple personalities.
    • T-Mac was an unstoppable force who was possibly the most naturally talented player in the history of the NBA.
    • Tracy McGrady was a liability to any team he was on because he would give up, got hurt easily, wouldn't fight for things but demanded the ball.

Unfortunately, Tracy McGrady beat out T-Mac for control of that man's body & mind.

18. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

He was my hero! :(

19. Starvela

I think him loosing interest, gaining weight, and injuries is what started his decline when he arrived to Houston...

20. Starvela

I have to agree with everything you said....