1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Terrence Jones on defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 19, 2013.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Apart from what I have mentioned, he is an able stealer
    0.63 apg .... most of any PF on the team and 7th best overall on the team

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You get defensive with a 3rd year player so I can't defend a rookie who has better potential?

Given that both are not masters but jack of all trades, Terrence is younger and could develop better game than Patterson. And I am a fan of Patterson.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't see where you disagree with me. Nobody says Jones has no potential. He just was bad at defensive rotations, which got him benched by the coaches.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is no reason... at times James Harden is bad at defensive rotations as well and he did not get benched.
    This is no reason to get benched IMO. There has to be experience involved. And yeah Parsons is an anomaly.
    I think that was a gamble by the coaching staff and it paid dividends.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Maybe it's because Harden contributes much more offensively than Jones so you live with some of Hardens mistakes? Jones has offensive skills, but was not that much more useful, if at all more useful, than the shooters that the team did play at the 4: Patterson, Morris and Delfino. Harden was by far the most talented and efficient offensive player on the team.

Also, Harden is a guard. Missed rotation for a guard means mostly an open J. For a big, it often means an open dunk.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah it's pretty crazy to compare the two, Jones didn't even contribute as much on offense in the D league as Harden does for the Rockets.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

God he is a rookie without a college pedigree in defense - He SUCKS

8. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I think most rookies are bad at defensive rotations, and Jones is definitely no exception, but I can see why alot of people are very optimistic too.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Jones certainly has room to get a lot better, I'm pretty high on both of the Rockets young PF's. That said, right now Jones isn't very good.

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think his defense is good enough to play next to Howard.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no real disagreement here. I just don't see it that bad. Almost everyone was bad defensively last year except for the offensively challenged Asik. The stats don't lie.

Remember: In December or end November Terrence was playing his 10 games which were up and downs but he was then held back by a wrist injury.

Patterson and Morris were better, I give you that, but they were kind of veterans, and they were still inconsistent.
    They had their runs, but they had games where they disappeared completely.
    Patterson could not rebound that well that is the sole reason why he got shipped, everything else was decent but not spectacular.

And I think there is another reason: Injury. It was reported that he faced surgery again. You don't want your starter to be injury prone. We have been there, done that already.

12. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

So you are saying that he is terrible on defense and playing next to the best defensive center in the league will erase his mistakes? I think that is about right.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow:eek:! No. I am saying he and How would make a good defensive duo. He moves his feet well when he is dialed in. He will continue his positive progression from the end of last season.
    After all, he is the lesser one.;)

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sometimes Less is More, Maurrey.

15. fattz

fattz Member

Link??

This really sucks

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Which one's injury? Patterson or Jones?

17. fattz

fattz Member

Jones

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Well I believe you are completely wrong. You expect him to guard LMA, Love, Anderson, Pau, Zach Rondolf (etc) and God Forbid LBJ? He comes up so woefully short I cannot describe it. It all depends on Howard.

19. fattz

fattz Member

ever star player gets doubled teamed for a reason on most given nights... This is were playing next to Howard helps

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

it was first written in this forum as hand injury ... My bad if it's wrong

http://www.nbaarena.com/en/news/2629/nba-injury-file-2-november-2012

Thumb injury

http://www.crabdribbles.com/terrence-jones-returns-from-thumb-injury-scores-31-points-on-12-13-fg/