1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Terrence Jones on defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Dedicatedrocket

i like your points

2. Benchwarmer

Benchwarmer Member

It takes experience to be a good post defender. T-Rob is a super athletic, shot blocker, rebounder ... but he was always out of position defensively, and opponents can easily fake him out with a spin move or drop step.

He was being schooled by more experienced bigs like Hansbrough, Scola, Shawn Marion, etc. because he didn't know where to be on the floor.

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

He was a rookie

4. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Better than Del3no at the 4 spot....way better.

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

His problem last year was he kept getting lost in the defensive scheme/rotation, often leaving his man wide open. This was a bigger issue in the limited time he got earlier in the season and seems to have gotten a bit better when he got his opportunities near the end of the year. Hopefully he improves significantly on this front over the summer.

When he's in the right spot, he can be pretty disruptive-- long arms, pretty good athlete, strong body. But he has to be in the right spot first.

6. jbasket

jbasket Member

He has high upside on defence, but it is unknown whether or not he will reach his potential before his next contract. Like CH said, he did not have the rotations down yet. Will he be at his peak defensively? No, but he will be much better than Delfino against PF's (or Harden against Ibaka in the playoffs).

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Solid shot blocker, but needs to work on his rotation and defensive communication.

8. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Look what he did in the playoffs and towards the end of the regular season when he finally got the inutes and got comfortable. From watching him in college I can tell you he's a natural shot-blocker.

9. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Most of the players on this team don't be in the right spot defensively.

10. RocketsFan69

RocketsFan69 Member

he is solid. With a great game changing center with dwight, well be ok. we need peremiter defense.

11. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

D-League...!!!! Dude he had 11 blocks in two straight NBA games and you bringing up D-League games...Lol...

1 person likes this.
  12. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

The D-League also has D-League statisticians. Blocks, steals, and assists are the most screwed up basic statistics in basketball. I am guessing that Jones lost some blocks that weren't tallied. Lin lost a huge amount of steals when he was in D League (yes, I actually watched his D League games), and he even loses steals to the statisticians in NBA games, and he is certainly not alone.

13. fattz

fattz Member

He seems to be coachable. Reminds me defensively of a young Robert Horry.

14. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

His defense was the only thing that was holding him back. If he was just an average defender who can hold his own, TJones wouldve started the first game last season.

TJone actually earned a starting job at last game of preseason game, beating out Smith, DMo, and Morris (PPat was injured if I recall). It was very significant because it was the last game before the season began. If he did well, starting 4 was his, but as it turned out, he was absolutely awful against Davis. He played 5 minutes and never returned.

That was the turning point for him. Instead of starting at 4, he ended up playing with Vipers for most of the season.

Edit: That last preseason game was also a turning point for GSmith. He was on the verge of last roster cut. He did a tremendous job on Davis and earned himself a roster spot.

15. cbk41

cbk41 Member

he look ok

16. Carl Herrera

Not true-- at least not the level that Terrence Jones was at to start the season. He was worse than most of his fellow PFs. This is why the coaches benched him most of the season. Patterson was at the right spot in defensive rotations most of the time. Morris was also significantly less lost than Jones was.

Getting lost in the defensive scheme is a fairly common rookie problem and many players get much better at it as their careers go on. A good example is Jordan Hill-- I always had a ominous feeling of doom when he stepped on the court in 2010-11 because his penchant for screwing up defensive rotations and offensive play. But he got better and was pretty good as a Laker. I think Jones-- as well DMo, Smith and other young players-- will get better at it. Some guys are just stupid (see Swift, Stromile) and you can't fix stupid. But Jones doesn't seem to be one of them (at least judging by my limited knowledge of the guy).

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good weak side shot blocker, and defensive rebounder. Capable perimeter defender.

Could improve in Defensive rotation and setting better screens.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

A little BS? Of course he was worse than Pat. He was a freakin rookie that has never played in McHale's rotation before.

Morris was lost over his place his rookie season. Of course he had one year of experience over Terrence.

19. Carl Herrera

Most of the young Rockets last season seemed coachable. The one exception being Royce White. Some guys just don't mentally process the defensive stimuli quickly, though.

20. Carl Herrera

Quit getting defensive. I noted that defensive rotation is a common rookie issue in my post and said that guys often get better. But it was an issue for Jones-- and it is an issue that he'll have to work to improve upon. Some guys never manage to fix it for whatever reason.