1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Good is Beverley on defense?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jtr, Dec 7, 2014.

1. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Absolutely true. But the SportsVU data does the best job possible. And in the NBA with so many defensive rotations happening, weak defenders will always get exposed. I did provide guidance in the post on how to estimate when a player is being avoided due to his defense. I believe that explanation is equally valid when assessing when a player is being "hidden" on defense. Teams will always be able to take advantage of match ups. And that supports my thesis that Bev is the best defensive PG in the league.

2. freddyg956

freddyg956 Member

The Reason Rondo is regarded as a great defender is because he rebounds and gets steals, Bev is just a great on the ball defender and is becoming a great rebounder :) I like Bev, he can shoot

3. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Rondo on this team would be a huge negative and will never ever be on the Rockets roster because McHale and Morey are never ever taking the ball out of Harden's hands. Read the sig.

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Curry is good on ball away from the basket. He is most likely either getting a ton of credit near basket because Bogut is helping or he's not getting assigned blame for his assignment scoring when he loses him off the ball.

5. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Unfortunately that is in the eye test. I could track it down, but I do not have the interest right now. So I am just going to assume you are right. ;)

6. photojoe

photojoe Member

I'm not arguing at all that Bev is one of, is not the, best defensive PG in the league.

All I am trying to say is that it is very difficult to rank individual defenders because defense relies so much on the entire team.

7. NotChandlerParsons

Actually, yes. That's why he has so many triple doubles.

Still would rather take advantage of the fact we can run out 3&D guys at point, and upgrade other positions.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

And I cannot honestly find anything in your post to disagree with sir. With SportVU it has gone from impossible to just difficult though.

9. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly the point.

The question we should ask ourselves is whether Rondo is the better value @ $14-$16MM on this roster? Or is Beverley the smarter value @ $6-$8MM?

I'm with jtr on this one.

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

How does it account for

a) help defence? ie, if Ariza comes from the weakside and blocks the jumpshot of your man, you get credit for him missing the basket

b) rim protection? ie, if your man blows right by you, but gets stuffed by Dwight (or just intimidated), you get credit for him missing the basket.

c) having the 'hard guard' assignment? ie, some players can simply score more easily than others, and guarding them will result in a dip of statistics

Obviously these things are minor, but it's worth noting with ANY defensive statistic, that the better defensive teams will feature more players higher up the ratings.

Having said that, the stats still clearly show Beverley is an excellent defender!

11. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

a) help defence? ie, if Ariza comes from the weakside and blocks the jumpshot of your man, you get credit for him missing the basket
    b) rim protection? ie, if your man blows right by you, but gets stuffed by Dwight (or just intimidated), you get credit for him missing the basket.

I do not know, but I would imagine that ariza, being the closest defender would get the credit. SportsVU is a frame by frame analysis from what I understand.

c) having the 'hard guard' assignment? ie, some players can simply score more easily than others, and guarding them will result in a dip of statistics

SportsVU does not use FG% of the average player. It uses the individual FG% of each of the opponents the NBA player defended. Then it just does the boring numerical algorithms needed.

Obviously these things are minor, but it's worth noting with ANY defensive statistic, that the better defensive teams will feature more players higher up the ratings.

I am not sure about that. It would take some work to figure that out (plotting defensive DFG% for every player in the league at a certain position and then doing a basic statistical analysis of the correlation of DFG% and overall team defense). I am not prepared to do the analysis so I cannot disagree with you.

12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

its biggest problem is with helping, if you lead the player into help, it's still yours, but how effective that defense becomes is really on the helper, and for example, bogut has the best ofg% at the rim, and the more you play with bogut the better your defensive impact inside 10 feet....

Schematically if you have no interior d to speak of, you're going to play more back off your man, i think for this reason you sort of need to look at how a player is within his own team, a perfect example of this would be luis scola, whose defense was -3.6% last year and +9 this year (isn't it amazing how much impact paul george is on the court?), of the 4 guys from their constant lineup (barnes tends to get swapped for iggy first so they split solid time with no bogut), Bogut is -15%, Green and Klay are both -10/11%, and Curry at -4% would be the liability.

Then you say look at Houston, our defense is very different to theirs, we switch all the time, partly because it allows the defensive player to use less energy to keep up with the trapping we use, but, I'm also unsure why opponent turnovers aren't being tracked, take Harden for example, when he gets switched inside on a bigger guy, he will often try to get a steal because honestly, there's nothing he can do to stop a 6'9 dude from shooting over him. Trevor Ariza is +7% (not a mistake), Dwight is -3%, Harden is -4%, yet we are a better defense than Golden State when Dwight is on the floor, and we've been about 4th without him.

#32 Aleron, Dec 7, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  13. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I do not choose to argue the point. So by default you are right. It would take an analysis like I described above to settle the issue. Maybe I will do it sometime soon.

14. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah that's hard, but at the same time I think that if you're skilled at leading your man into good rim protection, you deserve some credit there too.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

You don't need any statistical analysis to see Beverly and his disruption of every single player he plays against.

I can't wait to see Curry get shut down by the Wolverine.

Beverly is a bulldog who doesn't respect anyone, no matter what their rep, he is just going to hound them all over the court, never giving them an open look....

He is a JOY to watch.
    DD

16. Panda23

Panda23 Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Battier used to talk about how it was a luxury to be able to funnel defenders into a 7'6 dude in Yao. Bit different when you've got Scola and Chuck who are lucky to elevate over a phonebook.

18. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Yeah, defensive statistics are really difficult. This specific set shows Ariza as a pretty much terrible defender, which we all know not to be the case.

19. kemah

kemah Member

Curry didn't show he could play defense during FIBA. That same FIBA that Harden seemed to find his defense.

20. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

You know, this post just reminded me that Chuck was deceptively athletic and long. He has a standing reach to about 8"9'. That's impressive for a "short" guy! Also, he had a no step vertical of 30 inches and a max vertical of about 33 inches.

For comparison, Mason Plumlee, who is referred to as having "pogo sticks" by media pundits all the time has a no step vert of 30 iches and a max vert of 36 inches.

That's not too different. Sadly Chuck was 6"6' and Mason is a 7 footer. :p

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mason-Plumlee-5231/
    http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Chuck-Hayes-110/stats/