1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How good do you think Goran Dragic could be?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by True Rocket, Feb 25, 2011.

1. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

A poor version of Steve Nash...

and that is not bad at all.

2. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

Spot on comparison.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I see this too. He's never going to be as great a shooter but He's very creative around the basket, unafraid of contact and left handed.

4. YallMean

YallMean Member

Ceiling: Beno Udric

5. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

I'd be so bold to say put him up for a MIP candidate for next season. ;)

6. alethios

alethios Member

I think he can kick Vujacic's ass - that makes him good in my book.

7. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Contrary to belief, hes a good slasher. He plays like Ginobili in a way but doesn't have a real consistent jumper yet. He is good folks, and will win over alot of fans with his play

8. J-16

J-16 Member

He's gonna start next season .... hate lowrly

9. Apps

Apps Member

Hm, I wasn't aware that people thought lowly of his driving ability. The few times I've seen him play he has completely embarrassed at least one post defender in the paint with some crafty little move... heck I've seen him embarrass quite a few players on just one drive. I remember the first time I saw him play the first thing I wondered was why the heck I'd never heard of him before. He was surprisingly competent for a lesser known player.

I expect him to be a better backup PG than Brooks was. If his shooting numbers don't get better then he'll always be a backup. I like him and regardless of whether Brooks was worth more, I am kind of glad we picked him up. He's no messiah, but he is always a fun player to watch and pretty decent too.

10. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

He definatly will be better than Kyle Lowry, he has the attitude of Nate Robinson when balling, get's it crunker than Aaron Brooks and will be a better fit sinse he shoots less than Brooks. Kmart and Scolas PPG should raise up sinse Brooks and his 15 shot attempts are going to be gone.

11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If you've drawn a probability distribution for Goran Dragic, I would say you have multiplied both the max and the min by a factor of 10.

He is not "solid off the bench" right now in Phoenix, so you've already said the worst case means he completely changes his performance.

Look at his shooting percentage and his turnover percentage. I can't believe "top 5" potential is mentioned. I'm not sure he's in the top 50 right now. The Suns made this trade because: (1) they are not interested in Goran's future -- it looks bleak to them, after three years with him, and (2) they hope Brooks can regain his form of last year and take over when Nash is gone.

I hope Goran kicks ass here, and I'm really happy that Nash says he's a great guy and a good teammate, but good lord are we exaggerating him on here. It's just crazy.

I think at worst, he will make us miss Ish the Dish when Kyle is hurt. At best, he will greatly reduce his career turnover rate (over 20% of possessions, mind you), play the defense you guys envision, and make a few open shots (like he did, kind of, last year), and then we'll have a serviceable back-up point guard.

Bringing hotties to the Toyota Center is a nice bonus to, as per Yo_yo's report.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My god he hasn't even played a game for the Rockets and the homerism is full effect!

13. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

best case tony parker
    worst case kirk hinrich

14. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

We've not had a decent sized point guard for awhile. He looks like he does not have the drama baggage and does whatever the coaches ask. Looks like a hard worker. We need a big point guard to handle the bigger point guards in the league... Being mentored by Nash doesn't hurt either. ;)

15. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Disagree. I think he can be the shorter white Magic Johnson.

16. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

Kirk Hinrich is that bad?

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

-He's going to be a fan favorite for sure. Scrappy, hussle player, actually plays decent defense for a PG.

-Decent skillset, better shooter than his % says this year. Can slash and get in the paint like Lowry used to do, but still looks to shoot or draw contact first. Learned under Steve Nash for a couple seasons.

-Defense -

The biggest issue with the Rocket's defense this year has been dribble penetration for easy buckets in the paint and giving up fast breaks. This starts with the PG putting pressure on the ballcarrier.

If Goran can be used as a thorn in the side type of defender to the opposing PG off the bench, this could pay off huge for the Rockets defense. They need litterally two more seconds off of the oppositions shot clock to allow the slower Bigs (Scola, Miller) to get in position on defense. Its a small upgrade that can pay huge dividends.

-Great backup PG if he plays as motivated as he was last season in Phoenix.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Billips is his ceiling

19. baldeagle40

baldeagle40 Member

I haven't seen much, but I remember him doing well against our defense(WHO DOESN'T).
    If you watch what he's done against the spurs and lakers IN THE PLAYOFFS, you'd
    be pretty impressed, like I am. I have high hopes for he and lowry as a tandem. He has got some serious moves for finishing in the paint, good vision and nice outside shot. I think we can stick with these (2) 24 year old PGs for a while, no problem. He and Lowry about the same---"decent to good" starter as their ceiling.

20. flipmode

flipmode Member

the next hakeem.
    (if dream were white and 7 inches shorter.) :p

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HmdtinDBib4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>