1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How FAUX works

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Dubious, Sep 18, 2015.

Tags:
  1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Yes. When an officer abuses his power and his supervisors fail to discipline or prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law. In that case the offending officer(s) and the chain of command should be held with their feet to the fire.

However, I must be quick to point out that those are individual and isolated cases almost entirely and the anger and hostility should never be focused on the police force en toto. That is counter-productive as is rioting and burning down neighborhood businesses as happened in Ferguson.

2. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What about a case like Ferguson where it's shown the police force there in general was discriminating for a long period of time?

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Can you post some examples of history?

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Patriot Act

Net Neutrality

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

"atrocious actions and polices". In my book, both of the above aren't.

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

So true.

7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Amazing.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Well, since he did say history I'm just going to say the obvious answer and go with Nazi Germany.

But yes, Fox news is a propaganda network. Not to the extent of that obviously because they spread their propaganda around...if they were to just focus on one issue it would certainly be more dangerous.

9. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes, that's the only one I can think of and that's why I asked. And I'm more interested specifically of said a propaganda news (even state run) within a democracy yielding "atrocious actions and polices". I don't think NK or similar counts because it's on a total different level - mass brainwashing with execution for any that can't be brain washed.

10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

About as quickly as someone is easily dismissing what community leaders are saying about police brutality. Something about biased agendas.

Anyways, in the case of Ferguson, there's also statistics from the DOJ to back that up.

I'll just say, if you believe there's truly a War on Police, then the War on Citizens (esp minorities) happened along time ago.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

^^ with such a criteria (basically how i feel and perceive, not what data and stats said) on war, everything is war. War on Teacher, War on Muslim, War on the Poor, War on Women, War on Breast, War on Mentally ill, War on society, War on Lawyers, War on Business, War on Education, ... quite meaningless

12. giddyup

... says the King of Ad Hominem attacks. :eek:

13. giddyup

Yes, it is amazing that so many just swallow one unexamined measure. Is it not okay to ask for better evidence that one single statistic because stats can be so manipulated... or they can't be if they prove your point.

14. giddyup

I've heard that but don't know the details. I do know that they chose the wrong case to fly their banner above. They did tremendous harm to their own community.

15. apollo33

apollo33 Member

People who are making decisions based on solely on Fox news aren't going to make sound decisions whether or not Fox news exist. Fox news is made to appease a certain type of viewers that seeks a very specific politically polar opinion or news. If Fox today turned into CNN their viewer base will go somewhere else to seek the information they want.

16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

That's sort of wrong, you have to have some faith that in a democracy, people given good information will make good decisions. We know, people given only bad information can only make bad decisions.

Peer influence is real, and the collective consciousness is movable, empathy is learned. Under the rights of free speech, you can't silence FAUX, but everyone else can make sure it generally known that they are a money whoring propaganda machine that perverts the tenets of religion and democracy to advance the 1%. Small efforts like Mr. Wilborn ( and Jon Stewart before him) keep pulling back the curtain on how it works.

17. giddyup

Can an entire network survive serving the 1%?

18. val_modus

val_modus Member

Using wedge issues to make the majority of their viewers go against their own interests when it comes to issues that actually matter - yes.

19. giddyup

I'm unclear as to what that has to do with surviving in a competitive business environment.

20. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Obviously securing a loyal niche market is a marketing plan. The hook is outrage adrenaline.

Here's one more on how they do it:

John Oliver destroys Fox News over staggeringly offensive refugee coverage

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/umqvYhb3wf4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.