1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Far Will Embiid Slip?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Smook, Jun 20, 2014.

1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Ugh can't believe Cleveland is still considering him especially after Big Z.

I've seen enough in the past 10 years of injury plagued big men to pass on this.

2. rfrocket

rfrocket Member

Really hope the kid can come back strong.
    What would be a absolute worst case scenario for me though would be if he drops to the Lakers, they pick him and he has an Hakeem-like career as the Lakers next great big man. That would suck big time.

But like someone else said earlier I think it might be better in the long run for him to take an entire year off, get healed really well and then start his career. With all the money involved though it will probably never happen.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

New Bucks owner Marc Lasry apparently showed his team's hand Monday morning while speaking to the Milwaukee Press Club. Lasry indicated that the Bucks, who have the No. 2 pick in Thursday's NBA Draft, will not be selecting injured Kansas big man Joel Embiid.

From Charles F. Gardner of the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel:

Lasry is ruling out Bucks taking Embiid. "Our decision got a lot easier, mainly because Embiid got hurt."

— cfgardner (@cf_gardner) June 23, 2014
    "It's hard to take Embiid," Lasry said. "We want somebody who is going to help us on Day 1."

— cfgardner (@cf_gardner) June 23, 2014

4. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Embiid tweeted this and deleted it immediately.. <a href="http://t.co/8tyMNtFbQQ">pic.twitter.com/8tyMNtFbQQ</a></p>&mdash; Kyrie Jordan (@BucketsNBA) <a href="https://twitter.com/BucketsNBA/statuses/482028481639743488">June 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

Did you guys see the look on his face when the 76'ers selected him? He was like WTF!!?

6. split41

split41 Member

Time delay

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I think the Sixers made a huge mistake.

8. faraza84

faraza84 Member

They're dreaming of a twin towers setup of Noel and embiid. Sucks they are both injured but if they get back to full strength they could be one hell of a front court.

9. Asian Sensation

I agree... with that said they almost had to make that move. That's a franchise that needs to hit a home run yet can afford the risk of striking out. High risk high reward. I like the move since anybody else left would have just made them slightly less terrible. Worst case scenario their rebuild project gets pushed another year and they probably get rewarded with another Top 3 pick.

10. da_juice

da_juice Member

Normally I'd agree, but they're probably tanking again next season, they had two picks this year, and Embiid's potential is just so high. I;d question it more if they picked an injured Embiid over Wiggins or Parker- but I think at that point Embiid's potential had him head and shoulders above the rest of the prospects. Definitely risky though. Although- I would imagine - that at least one of their injured young big men will turn out halfway decent.

A TT of Noel-Embiid would be scary as hell.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

A lineup with both Embiid and Noel doesn't scare me at all. I don't believe Noel is skilled enough to play PF in today's NBA. I think the Embiid selection is a slap in Noel's face.

The Philadelphia Cavaliers will be gunning for yet another top 3 pick next year. How long can a team keep pushing success into the future? Their brazen tanking last season was disgusting and it's a crying shame they have already signaled their intentions for next season before summer league even starts.

Philadelphia Astros?

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Agreed that the Embiid/Noel duo isn't that scary. But I like both picks. Embiid might have gone first if healthy and adding Noel was a great trade. Noel still has a shot at being one of the top players from that draft.

They aren't trying to slap anyone in the face, although I don't think they'd be shy to. Right now they are just collecting the best players possible. They aren't in position to draft components right now.

I love what they're doing. It's fun as hell to follow. And the payoff... man the payoff could be nuts. It's like Game of Thrones, you have all these huge storylines going on then you have the 76ers. A bunch of nobodies doing some peculiar **** way off in no man's land. They're interesting as hell but they're non-factors. 5 seasons later, they've got dragons burning down houses and ****.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can the dragons be tamed or are they going to run rampant? Remains to be seen.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Running is the last thing Embiid should do right now.