1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How far is M. Jackson away from Stockton?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by killtaker, Jan 26, 2004.

1. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

I don't think anyone has brought this up since his signing, but does anyone know how many assists M. Jackson is behind Stockton for the all-time assists record? Is it at all reachable? I feel like he's a distant second.

anyway, he had 10 last night... man, things look so comfortable and fluid on offense when he's in there.

go rockets.

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

3. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

mark jackson is my new favorite Rockets player. Francis should be ashamed that this 38 year old player who is on a 10 day contract is outperforming him at the point guard spot.

it is scary to think how well we would play with a real pass first/shoot second who is near his prime.

another thing about Jackson is that it proves that STATS DO NOT MATTER. If you look at his current stats, they suck. but he controls the tempo and moves the ball around well.

4. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

5. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

6. lancet

lancet Contributing Member

5000 assist left? Holy smoke. That shows how good Stockton was as a PG...

7. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Mark Jackson outperforms practically anybody at passing. He just has a freakish natural talent for it, and it's the only reason he made it into the NBA. Steve Francis was and is prized for other skills.

That said, HELL YEAH Mark Jackson! Whooo!

8. killtaker

seriously.. stockton's longetivity helped, too. he's still played 257 more games than Jackson... geez, that's about three more full seasons.

9. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

Let's see...5577 assist to catch Stockton. OK 10 assists a game for 82 games...he'll catch Stock in 6.8 seasons at the age of 45. Wow still younger than me

10. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

John Stockton should definitely be the alltime assist leader, but I don't trust the staticians in Utah. I"m sure those numbers are inflated a little because of the over-generous dudes in Utah who are responsible for tallying stats.

11. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

since we are having such good fortune with these old timers like Mark Jackson, maybe we should try to bring back Jeff Hornacek.

That guy would be amazing on this team with Yao drawing so much attention. horny was the best catch and shoot player that i have ever seen.

12. killtaker

Sorry to remind you guys, but it was amazing to see that Stockton averaged 14.5 apg during the 89-90 season. that's crazy. His personal best single assist game? 28 vs. San Antonio 1/15/91.

Will the NBA ever see another player average 14 apg? geez.

But going back to the Rockets... M. Jackson is money.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Outperforming Francis in passing during one game, yes. But there are other facets of performance for a PG. And he only played in two meaningful games for us so far. So don't try to bash Steve by praising MJax.

14. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

Not unless we have a cultural change in the H.S., NCAA, and NBA. If the mind-set is, "Where's mine?" No. If the mind-set is, "Help the team win." Yes. Playground basketball will never produce thoes kind of players.

In influx of international player will certainly help. But shooting skill seems to be their priority, rather than passing (or the compete player).

We'll see.

15. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Contributing Member

oh my god...

how far is yao from shaq.

but i have to say, there's no player like that in the nba anymore. and he was the closest to stockton when they both played, at least the last few years

16. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I sure did get my hopes up too high, when I heard this

"and with another wasted first round pick the rockets pick Bryce Drew"

So much for being a John Stockton waiting to happen

17. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

about from earth to Mars. I think Stockton will keep his assist record till the end NBA history.

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Just like Hakeems Blocks record :D

19. rkfanjack

rkfanjack Member

statistic just a honor for someone. All I care is now. I just think Mark Jackson is better than Stockton NOW cuz hes playing for Rocket and Stockton is retired

20. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

Wrong. You'd be amazed how shooting skills are undervalued now. Name one pure shooter left in the league outside of Reggie and Peja.

PS. for those that can't read between the lines, I'm not actually challenging you to find one.