1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Dražen Petrović won Houston the 1994 NBA title and why Kevin McHale will repeat the success

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Croatian Sensation, Aug 24, 2013.

?

Will Kevin McHale win a title as a Houston Rockets head coach?

1. Precisely

19 vote(s)
    23.2%
  2. Indeed

16 vote(s)
    19.5%
  3. Who cares, I <3 WNBA and Elena Delle Donne

17 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. This is a lovely thread

30 vote(s)
    36.6%
  1. prs325

prs325 Member

Saw that game as well. Petrovic was running circles around the Rockets. Besides Larry Bird, was one of the best shooting performances Ive seen

2. RikSmits

RikSmits Member

I loved watching Petrovic play. A special talent. Horrible that his life and NBA career got cut short.

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Good one

4. FearTheBeardJH

Petrović was actually Serbian.

5. Croatian Sensation

Croatian Sensation I'd rather be a forest than a street

Peja Stojaković was born in Croatia and lived there until he was 13, but I don't see it ever being mentioned. Maybe because it doesn't matter? We were all pat of one big country before, spoke a similar language, so it's only natural to have mixed nationalities living together.
    Dražen was born and raised in Croatia, declared himself as a Croat and played for the national team. His mother's side of the family is all Croatian, but his father is a Bosnian of Serbian descent and that's all there is to it.

6. HtownRocket1

HtownRocket1 Member

nah, he would of played for Serbia.

It's very big in that part of the world to choose what county a player is going to play for.

A soccer player Sinisa Mihajlovic for example was the "same" as Petrovic, of what they call a mix marriage kid (Croat mother, Serbian father) but he played for Serbia n was always viewed as a Serb, even though he was born in Croatia.

7. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

If Drazen hadn't passed away and it came down to the Rockets and Knicks for his services then he very well would have determined the 94 NBA Champions. We all know how close the 7 game series was between the Rockets and Knicks in 94. I would think adding Drazen to either team would seal that team as the champ for that season. Taking a quick look at Drazen's numbers in the 91-92 and 92-93 seasons (his only time as a full time starter) he averaged about 21 ppg and over a steal a game while shooting 50 % from the field, 45 % from the 3 point line and 87 % from the free throw line. Those are just filthy numbers.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, that was great. Sad what happened. He might be still alive if he wore a seat belt but no guarantee he would be have been able to play.

Crazy how a small decision like not flying with your team vs getting a ride would change everything.

9. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

I loved watching Petrovic play. He was in his prime his last two season. We finally had the opportunity to see some of his greatness. For a guy who shot from the outside as much as he did, he's field goal percentage was a thing of beauty. He even made that fat b*stard Derrick Coleman and Kenny Anderson look like All-Stars. Not surprised he wanted to get away from them.

10. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Forgetting a Croat champion contributor ?

:eek:

[​IMG]

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Doubtful that would have happened BUT that would have been a possible THREE-PEAT.

Or at least an epic Finals appearance against the 72 win '96 Bulls. And a Croat on Croat Drazen vs Kukoc matchup (If the Rockets could get past the Sonics that year.)

*Mad Max might been expendable in '95 anyhow or part OF the trade for Drexler. But IF he wouldn't have been such a volatile FLAKE and stuck with it - Cassell/Elie/Maxwell on the 2nd team - thats some good depth to go to war with*

12. Croatian Sensation

LOL I'm totally ashamed right now. Žan was also born in Split, it's unbelievable how so many great athletes (football, basketball, tennis, athletics, swimming) come from a city of 175,000 people.
    Tabak worked as a head coach in Spain last year, and at one point led Saski Baskonia to a record 17 wins in a row. Future assistant coach material for the Rockets, maybe? :grin:

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Another future Rockets great whose family comes from the former Yugoslavia:

[​IMG]

14. Croatian Sensation

^^ Here's one word play that should (mildly) entertain you, Carl:

The name Žan derives from the French name, Jean, so Žan translates to English as John. The word Tabak in Croatian has two meanings: sheet and tobacco.
    Essentially, Žan Tabak = John Tobacco, John Sheet

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That guy is turkish

16. GIGO

GIGO Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/e2HeWKPoUQI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Ha Ha...I think I like John Zig Zag better although much more fun to say John Tobacco...bluesy.

18. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

A refreshing read. Thank you.