1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does slingbox work?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Houston24, Oct 14, 2013.

1. likestohypeguy

^Swoly's reeking serious havoc in this thread!

:eek::eek::cool::grin::p

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Yes. It would affect them. :eek: Cable and Satellite systems have stream limits. You'd be using a stream.

http://answers.slingbox.com/message/8597#8597

3. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Again... you make no sense. How can it be proven as illicit? Explain it, show me some legal proof where it's illegal to use Slingbox as a device to watch someone else's Cable/Satellite service. If it's illegal, is Sling Media Inc. a fraud company allowing illegal activity since they allow guest users (friends and family) to use someone else's Slingbox? Just because it isn't possible to measure doesn't make it any different. This is nothing like copying a CD and distributing it. Give it up Swoly, you clearly don't know jack **** about any of this.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

WTH are you talking about? Seriously! Stop. It has nothing to do with streams.

Cable and Satellite systems use receivers, not streams. You can take one receiver and feed your whole house and only pay for that one receiver. If you did that, then you can only watch whatever channel is on that receiver, regardless of how many tv's are hooked up to a single receiver. That is not theft or piracy.

The same concept applies to slingbox. When you change the channel on the slingbox, it changes it on the receiver. The person on the slingbox and the person at home can't watch two different things.

And if you use a SD slingbox and hook it to a HD receiver, it will force the HD receiver into SD mode.

5. dookiester

dookiester Member

Fixed that for you.

6. Houston24

Houston24 Member

Anyone who actually knows what they are talking about have an answer to my question?

Ok I have another question. So my friend has one main box that is big and the rest of the TVs have littler boxes. Can I plug it into a little box? So I watch whatever is playing on the little box right? It would have no affect on the person watching on the main box right?

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Your question was answered. If you get an SD slingbox and the receiver is HD, it will force the receiver into SD mode, otherwise it 'shouldnt' have any effect

Now if you would like to explain what the "large box" and the "little boxes' are, someone can answer you better.

What provider?
    The little box that you want to plug into, is it SD or HD?
    Is it a receiver? (model of this "little" box would help)
    What method is used to connect the little box to the TV?
    Are you getting a SD or an HD slingbox?

8. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So which models have the wireless built in?

9. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Only the Slingbox 500 has WiFi.