1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does Deke not get more minutes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AGBee, Mar 16, 2009.

1. AGBee

AGBee Member

Every year we doubt him and say he's washed up.

Then he gets minutes and proves us wrong.

The guy is amazing.

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Our secret weapon...what other centers in the league right now can play as good as defense as Mutombo?

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I love Deke.

4. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

I agree. He should get the backup C minutes that Chuck Hayes occasionally gets. Both have no offense, but Dekes defense >> Chucks

5. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Age.

Deke some how always figures out how to do what he is good at very well.

6. dero72

dero72 Member

Deke Mutumbo: CASE CLOSED...imo

I think Deke's performance tonite in the NOH game has proven that, contrary to what some believed were the reasons for Adelman not playing him, he is not...
    -too old to hustle
    -too old to mix it up
    -too slow to get down court
    -too sedentary to present a significant defensive obstacle in the paint.

I think it also, in some ways, pronounces the verdict of GUILTY on Adelman for not playing him during the last tough stretch of games at least SOME minutes. Look at his performance tonite and ask yourself, 'Could Deke have helped us win against Utah, Los Angeles, or San Antonio? Could he have bolstered our interior defense against Williams or Parker? Last, but not least....could his very objective example on the court against REAL opponent teams/coaches be helping Yao during EVERY game?

Just watching that man pull down rebounds, and then hunch into a protective stance, arms bowed out...geez, if Yao could learn just THAT, it's worth it to play Deke some minutes each night.

7. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

People have been saying that Deke is washed up for the past 3 seasons and he's proven people wrong every year and now is no different. He hasn't play extended mins all season and comes in with a performance like this. He deserves 10-12 mpg depending on the matchup of course.

8. esteban

esteban Member

I'm so freaking mad at Adelman now, I'd like to know the real reason why Adelman couldn't even play Deke 10-12 mins per game!

9. Kwame

Kwame Contributing Member

Chuck Hayes should never play in place of Deke. Mutombo should get some of Yao's mpg as well. 10-12 mpg is not too much to ask depending on the matchup.

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

We could use Deke against every team in the playoff picture, also who else in the West has a Mutombo on the bench?

11. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Slow down fellas. You try arguing that point and someone will defend him not playing by saying we have a winning record.

The sad part is he may not see minutes for another couple of weeks.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Deke has played great. Better than I expected. Adelman may have purposely been saving him to the last few weeks of the season so he'll be fresh.

13. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I don't think anyone's D is better than Chuck's. At least at the 4 spot. Deke could have been helping us most of this year, but for whatever reason he gets no PT. Yao could use the rest, we could use the D. I just don't get why he doesn't play.

Also don't get why Lowry doesn't get more minutes.

Van Gundy used to be stubborn about not playing rookies. It seems Rick is stubborn about not playing productive players.

14. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

There's so much Yao can learn from Deke.

15. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

I think Adelman is saving him for the playoffs.

16. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Also, Adelman finally learned to close out with Lowry instead of Brooks.

Lowry just pickpocketed Chris Paul there...he definitely has more PG potential than Broks.

17. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

It's really puzzling that he doesn't get playing time even when Yao is playing. Everyone recognizes that Yao is a rock, scissors, paper type of player. Against the teams that do matchup well against him like Utah, WHY NOT give Deke some time? Even at this age, he is no doubt a better defender and rebounder than Yao. He is productive ON the court, not just with leadership, advice, etc.

Did Adelman learn anything from this game?

18. archinkent

archinkent Member

to be fair he matches up well against chandler. against other centers like gasol and okur, he will get smoked

19. Artesticles

Artesticles Member

I don't know. Only reason he even played today was because of Yao. Otherwise it would be DNP-CD. I don't think Adelman gets it, but hopefully he proves me wrong in the playoffs.

20. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

The game was pretty much won when mutumbo was on the bench. Case isn't closed imo.