1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Does Cuttino Rank in History

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 11, 2002.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I've been compiling this list for quite some time.

This is a list of players not taken in the first round, and then ranked. I count only post-ABA when the league settled on 22 teams, which eliminates Alex English and World B Free as 23rd picks, because there was some ABA recruiting that made some players drop. And I think we should probably exclude Danny Ainge (baseball), Drazen Petrovic and Toni Kukoc, because it was not for certain those players would play, yet they deserved a first round selection if there weren't any question marks.

Here's my lists...who is your Top 10. This becomes a matter of taste between offense and defense.

<ol>
    <li>Dennis Rodman (only player I ever saw mess with Larry's stepback-J and fluster Karl Malone with his own medicine...thing is, they probably won't give him HOF)
    <li>Cuttino Mobley (call me a big fan with great expectations)
    <li>Maurice Cheeks (that fo fo fo ring gets bonus points)
    <li>Eddie Johnson (great career, Great Shot--Holllly Mother)
    <li>Nick Van Exel (I like him; matter of taste, bug off)
    <li>Mark Price (who places him ahead of Eddie?)
    <li>Anthony Mason (for someone overrated, maybe he's still underrated)
    <li>Ben Wallace (quickly rising)
    <li>Vernon Maxwell (had he not flaked, I'd put him higher)
    <li>Cliff Robinson (I like him because he helps me keep Bill Laimbeer and Hornachek out of my Top 10)</ol>

Notables not making the cut:
    <ul>
    <li>Jeff Hornachek (Jazzhole doesn't beat Mark Price/Eddie)
    <li>Antonio Davis
    <li>Craig Hodges
    <li>Bill Laimbeer (Larry Bird hates him :p)
    <li>Othella Harrington
    <li>Rashard Lewis (sorry, he doesn't beat out Cliff yet), and he really was no secret find anyhow, just a HSer
    <li>Lee Nailon
    </ul>

So, am I missing anyone who didn't get drafted?

2. mfclark

mfclark Member

Darrell Armstrong

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Mario Ellie?

4. outlaw

outlaw Member

Matt Maloney

5. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

eduhted cuz crispee tinks me stoopid

#5 Franchise2001, Apr 11, 2002
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2002
  6. heypartner

Murphy was picked 18th and Nate Archibald was 19th after him in 1970. That's not comparable draft dynamics. I'm only counted after the ABA/NBA merged to 22 teams. Didn't I say that...some people just can't read I guess.... ;)

I thought this was about Cuttino and the Top 10...grrrrrrrr

hehe....I guess I should take out Othella and Nailon, but had to include the Rockets and SW Conference, or I'd get flooded with that stuff. ;)

others not mentioned

Nate McMillan
    John Starks
    Eric Snow
    Bobby Phills
    Spud Webb
    Howard Eisley
    Eddie House
    Ruben Patterson
    Byron Russell
    PJ Brown
    Todd MacCullough
    Marc Jackson
    God Shammgod (just had to type his name...hehe)

and there is more...anyhow, what is your Top 10 out of what I listed, and did I not list someone that you'd put in the Top 10.

#6 heypartner, Apr 11, 2002
  7. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

cuttino is a bit high on that list. if you project his stats across a long nba career than i'd put him at 2 or even 1, but we'll have to wait and see. it's like shaq on the 50 greatest list. now he's on there no question but at the time it was crazy.

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Where's Doc Rivers on your list? For that matter, Mark Eaton? Rick Mahorn?

Gotta represent the old-school dudes. I'd place all 3 above Mason/Wallace/Uncle Cliffy.

9. Live

Live Member

crispee,

I know you're a one-man Cuttino fan club, but Cat's way too high on that list.

Most of those players (including those that somehow missed the cut) were significant contributors on championship level teams. The closest Cat has gotten to their level was having a layup SHAQTIFIED in the last moments of a playoff game.

BBIIIIGG DIFFERENCE, amigo!

#9 Live, Apr 11, 2002
  10. heypartner

Live...

give me your list??? Who missed the cut is better than Cuttino, in your opinion. Stick your neck out...I did.

SamCassell...

oops...on "Glenn" Rivers and Mahorn (undrafted, right?) there's two.

Eaton??? really. I was embarrassed to include him.

Mahorn vs Mason...neck n neck...hmmm Uncle Cliffy hehe I guess Ben has to prove more...Ben (and this whole first person to lead blocks/rebounds since Akeem '90 and Walton '77 before that), has to prove more??? more than Eaton??? hmmmm

Doc Rivers....hmmm. Top 10, hmmm

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

Shandn Andersn (54th pick)
    Jerome Kersey (46th pick)

12. heypartner

Shandon? I might as well include Raja Bell and Manute Bol.

Kersey...ya, I have him on my also ran list. Should've have listed him in the notable exception with Mahorn and Doc. With Kersey though, I just always liked Cliff better...and he had more yrs of success.

Anhow, is anyone going to take what we have and give me your Top 10...no one wants to stick their head out...chickens. :p

13. Live

Live Member

At random and in no particular order:

Dennis Johnson
    Michael Cooper
    James Edwards
    Dennis Rodman
    Maurice Cheeks
    Cedric Ceballos (Club Ced was an All-Star!)
    Cliff Robinson
    Jeff Hornacek
    Nate McMillan
    Bryon Russell

And for a bonus, I'm going to add Calvin Murphy anyway! You know Murph went in the 2nd round because of his size, the ABA\NBA situation had little to do with it.

All these players were just as good or better, and were contributors on championship contenders.

Until Cat does more than average 20pts a game and perfect the fallaway 22ft pull-up J, he's looking up to these guys.

14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

What was the question again ?
    :confused: :p

15. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Was Byron Scott a #1?

16. moomoo

moomoo Member

He doesn't

17. heypartner

cool Live

You're the only sport around here....but...now I get to rip someone's list. hehe

First...so how the hell did SamCassell miss Dennis Johnson. ;)

You are way over favoring role players on title teams.

Edwards...bAHAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cooper over the scoring machine guards that I listed...matter of taste...but Eddie Johnson

and Hornacek over Mark Price???

You don't take Eddie, but then include Cedric as a scoring machine...now you are just trying to argue for no reason... :)

Nate McMillan over Doc Rivers

Byron Russell....who is THAT! If you are going to pull that blasphemy, you have to say Bill Laimbeer, too. You just don't want to say Bill Laimbeer do you...hehe...yeah, I totally understand.

As for Calvin Murphy...he was selected 18th. We have to draw a line on this. Besides Tiny Archibald was better (with a title) and got picked right after Calvin and Willis Reed was a 10th pick in the 2nd round.

And if you don't think the ABA had anything to do with players going undrafted or dropping more than reasonable, then you better include Alex English, World B Free, Bobbie Jones, George McGinnis...and another great illustration of these guys dropping was how Dr. J went 20/20 in his last yr in college only to be undrafted.

So, by your Calvin Murphy criteria where we include everyone not drafted in the first round, the list would be:

1. Dr J
    2. Willis Reed
    3. Alex English
    4. Bobbie Jones
    5. Dennis Rodman
    6. Tiny Archibald
    7. Bill Sharman
    8. Dan Issel (8th Round Draft Pick!!!)
    9. World B Free
    10. Calvin Murphy

and then where does Artis Gilmore fit? and everyone else

hehe

but, thanks for that list that includes James Edwards and Byron Russell...that was funny. :p

18. BigTwoston

BigTwoston Member

Crispee...I agree with you...Cuttino is right where he should be on the list.....

19. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Crispee,

Lol on the Eaton thing. I hated putting a Jazz player on the list, too. :mad: But he was defensive player of the year (twice) and holds the single-season record for blocks (I think). A bunch of first-team defense honors. I said the other day I wouldn't pick an Eaton clone as a high-lotto pick (still wouldn't), but you have to give the man his due. I think his career numbers have to put him ahead of Ben Wallace, who's only been a factor for two seasons now.

You have to put Mahorn over Mason! He had the best nicknames. He was half of "McFilthy and McNasty" in Detroit (with Laimbeer), and part of "Bump and Thump" in Philly (with Sir Charles). He also won a couple of titles with the Pistons and was part of an excellent team with the Sixers. He lasted 18 seasons in the NBA, total. In short, Ricky Mayhem was a badass.

My bad on missing Dennis Johnson. :)

20. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

It's a crime when Hornacek is placed behind Mobley. Much less Vernon f'n Maxwell.