1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How does an Arenas buyout impact our trade outlook?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Jan 16, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

1. Agreed...I think his season is over.

2. Agreed...but I think the Wizards void it anyway....and the union will lose.

DD

2. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Everything I've heard is that it is highly unlikely the Wizards will be able to void his contract.

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The legality of the contract is sacred, I don't think the Wizards can just void it on a whim without the consent of the players union, else no one will ever sign there ever again.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I have heard similar but it is vague as to the morals clause, but that the "Felony" conviction makes it a lot less vague.

DD

5. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Even when the "smoke clears" the guy is still owed a lot of money. Granted, he's not a buyout case like Francis' time with Portland because Arenas is still a quality player. Unfortunately, a quality player that is getting paid way too much money. Of course, this all becomes moot if Arenas and his people gives the Wizards a middle finger on buyout talks.

6. Rockets4279

Rockets4279 Member

It will get voided and then he becomes a FA when he returns. No team with the right mind is going sign him unless its a team with a veteran coach.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He made idiotic decisions and sometimes can be immature but he's not a cancerous presence. If he becomes a free agent, Arenas won't get any lucrative contract offers but he'll be wanted make no mistake about that. Arenas has shown he can still be a pretty good player.

8. King1

King1 Contributing Member

I'm sure they are doing extensive research on it now as we speak. Unless it's pretty much a slam dunk, I doubt they will try it. If they try to void it and lose, theres really no way you can bring him back to the team. Even though some reports suggest the Knicks may be interested, it reminds me a lot of the Iverson situation. I think he's completely untradeable unless the Wizards take back really bad contracts. What seems most likely to me is some sort fo a buyout

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I originally thought they would void it and the Union would lose, but I just heard yesterday that Stephen Jackson was convicted of a felony for firing his guy 7 times outside a strip club. I though it was less, but if it really was a felony then I don't get it. The local reporter said he believed a void was unlikely because the CBA states that it has to be a "violent felony" for that to happen.

10. worzel gummidge

When a player is suspended by the league, 50% of his pay during that period, doesn't count towards a team's salary cap.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Arenas is a skilled, charismatic but overpaid player that made an egregious error in judgment. I believe his legal problems will allow The Wiz to get out from under his contract because it will cause them loss of services and loss of goodwill with their fans.

When he pays for his crime he should be reinstated as a free agent. And when he is I think there will be plenty of teams that will try to sign him for a decent contract.

I believe him that he is a happy-go-lucky guy and the whole gun thing was just a joke and would give him a second chance on the team I support.

12. Hayden_SFC

Hayden_SFC Member

I'm not sure if I would want Arenas sometimes. What the hell was he thinking? Storing guns in the locker room, being associated with gambling, and then pretending to shoot his teammates.
    Arenas is f'n up.

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

As much as Arenas, by all objective standards for workplace conduct, deserves to have his contract voided, I just don't see that happening. The players' union will not let it happen. Keep in mind the following examples:

Latrell Sprewell: Physically assaulted and battered his own coach

Ron Artest: Went into the stands after a fan

Stephen Jackson: Actually punched a fan in the face, and not in self-defense

J.R. Smith: Killed his best friend while driving recklessly

NONE of these players had his contract voided. With Sprewell, it was a close call; but the arbitrator eventually ruled that voiding his contract was not an appropriate measure of punishment for him.

No one has been able to effectively use the "morals clause" of a player's contract to void the contract under the current CBA, except in one instance (Chris Andersen with the Hornets) where the player committed a flagrant violation (after many, many warnings) of the league's (clearly spelled out) Drug Policy.

DD brings up a good point that Arenas actually pleading guilty to a felony will bolster the Wizards' case for voiding his contract, I just don't think it will happen.

In the end, I think the Wizards will have to wait until next season (when Arenas is back from jail/suspension) and then look to trade him for pennies on the dollar. It sucks for Washington, but that's just how I seeing it playing out for them.

14. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Completely agree. Guaranteed money is guaranteed. Arenas earned that fat contract and nobody's going to take it from him.

15. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If he gets the contracted voided, he earned that, too.

Even if Arenas keeps his NBA contract, he just lost his $40 million Adidas contract. He has 3 years and $67.7 mil left on his NBA contract. $40 million isn't anything to sneeze at, even though it's smaller than his NBA contract for 3 years.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sportscenter/post/_/id/23313/arenas-loses-40-million-adidas-contract

16. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

The Wizards have some responsibility for what happened. They have no one looking after their players like Houston has (head of players development, I think, is the official title)?

You have so much money invested in players and you don't know what's going on in the team plane and locker room until it's too late? Geez ...

17. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

The Magic are rumored to have interest in Arenas but that's a lot of cap space to take on. Enter Morey with T-Mc to Washington, Arenas to Orlando, and Rashard Lewis to Houston. To even up the numbers we would also get Brendan Haywood and Nick Young from Washington. We would send Dorsey to Orlando and Taylor to Washington. Orlando also would need to send Brandon Bass to Washington and Ryan Anderson to Houston. Someone needs to tweak that a little to make the salary numbers more even but that essentially would work.

Incoming Salary:

Houston: Lewis ($18.9M) + Young ($1.7) + Haywood (ex $6M) + Ryan Anderson ($1.3M) = $27.9M
    Orlando: Arenas ($16.2M) + Dorsey ($ .9M) + Cook (ex $3.5M) + DeShawn Stevenson (ex $3.9M) = $24.5M
    Washington: T-Mc (ex $23.2M) + Bass ($4M) + Taylor ($ .725M) = $27.9M

Outgoing Salary:

Houston: T-Mc (ex $23.2M) + Dorsey ($ .9M) + Cook (ex $3.5M) + Taylor ($ .725M) = $28.3M
    Orlando: Lewis ($18.9M) + Bass ($4M) + Anderson ($1.3M) = $24.2M
    Washington: Arenas ($16.2M) + Young ($1.7) + Haywood (ex $6M) + Stevenson ($3.9M) = $27.8M

18. PeppermintCandy

^^^
    Rashard Lewis is good but has an albatross of a contract. Even with getting the other pieces, I can't see Morey wanting any part of it.

Code:
    [B]Player           2009-10      2010-11      2011-12      2012-13[/B]
    Rashard Lewis  $18,876,000  $20,514,000  $22,152,000  $23,790,000