1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you think Yao Ming would have fared in today's game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by giordun, Aug 3, 2014.

1. Jontro

Jontro Member

He seems sincere and his head looks like it's in the right place. I hope mauri drafts him.

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Awesome. His favroite player was Hakeem and played PsONE with his free time in his small bedroom. He was just like us!

3. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Why do you torture us OP???

Sigh....if only he hadnt broke down.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

I applauded, great post!! I SMH at the simple minded or the ignorant, because anyone who actually watched Yao play (or remembered w/out prejudice) in his prime could see he was an offensive juggernaut who could score at the cup all the way to 3 point line. Like all the greats he was not infallible and teams game planned to take away his strengths. Even Hakeem needed help against fronting and zone defending teams like Seattle (even tho zone was illegal at time).

5. ralphabetsoup

ralphabetsoup Member

Depends what the Vegas line was for his teams during his games.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

He would have been equally great.

7. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

22/9 big time game changer past those stats.

It's really though, that he would've commanded so much attention I can't imagine how much easier the game would've been for Harden if he were to be his sidekick or even Dragic had we kept him.

Definitely interesting to think about. I don't think we garner more success than we already did with him(2nd round exits).

8. goyao11

goyao11 Member

Today's game? The game hasn't changed all that much over the past 5 years...

Yao would be the best C, and it's not that close. You would build a team around him and he's the kind of guy who could bring you to the finals if you surrounded him with the right complementary pieces.

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I actually think he was an amazing defender. Not a **** blocker but a better man defender than even dwight. But he was never a tremendous rebounder

10. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Am I the only one who read the title as "Farted" on accident?

1 person likes this.
  11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

True, my memory may have been tainted by that painful series vs. the Jazz...

12. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

He'd fare the same. You'd have to dump the ball into him every play for him to be effective, but at the expense of playing a faster pace.

13. photojoe

photojoe Member

If it wasn't for the injuries, Yao would still be a good to great center in the NBA. I would say all-star worthy if the voting was still done the same way, but with the new voting of two guards and three forwards he would probably get edged out. Well, but then you factor in the voting from Chinese fans and he would probably still make it, haha.

Regardless, he was a 7'6 guy with a reliable back to the basket game. His turnaround jumpers were money and at his height were nearly impossible to stop. His hook shots were really good as well. Those are the kind of skills that age well. He was never very mobile, and as he aged that would have only decreased more. But even with decreased mobility, his sheer size would make him a decent rim protector and rebounder. I'm not sure if he would be a guy you could build around for a championship at 33, but he would have still been a good NBA player.

14. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Think Shaq and that exactly we're Yao career was heading in terms of impact and dominance. Theirs no doubt had he no got hurt he woulda carried Houston to atleast 2 rings. I honestly think before his injury in 09 we we're the favorites to win after that first round beating of Portland. The lakers we're or toughest test and with Yao they had no chance. Then it would have been Denver and Orlando. Yao always ate Dwight alive I'm guessing we would have won in 5.

Yao was special offensively and IMO quite possibly the 3rd best post play center of all time. His size along with his post moves and touch made him literally unstoppable in 1vs1. Yao without the injuries was heading to a true HoF career and IMO would have been seen as a top 5 center of all time. I think he was that special and uniqe, we just didn't get to see enough of it.

We'll never see another player like Yao. I'm glad I got to watch his every game and that he got to play for my favorite team.

1 person likes this.
  15. youngshev03

youngshev03 Member

With as weak as the Center position is, he'd be the best in the NBA

16. kvnzhangyay

kvnzhangyay Member

23/10 best center in the nba

But not only that, he would just make the game easier for everyone

17. Champ06

Champ06 Member

Wow. I almost forgot about Yao. Now you have to remind me. Damn!!!!

18. Exiled

Exiled Member

McHale would benched him after a new twin T experiment

19. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

He would be have been dominating with the absence/retirement of Shaq. Probably 25/10. I think he was just hitting his prime before he retired.

20. HeyT-mac

HeyT-mac New Member

哈哈哈,非常好