1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about wage garnishments?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Jun 15, 2015.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Absolutely. Where do we put the tent cities and bread/soup lines though?

2. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Preferably in the more "urban" areas of town. Far away from shopping districts and nice housing. :p

3. VanityHalfBlack

Why you so cold bro? You know how hard it is too pull out? Imagine going to Disney world if Walt Disney was still alive? That's what an orgasm feels like. All this garnish bullsh!t is the way for the government to keep the man down. I am speaking as a strong and proud black woman honey!

4. Major

Major Member

There are two separate issues here. It seems like they are taking 50% as regular, current child support payments - so that appears to be their "normal" amount even if he was caught up. And then another 15% to make up for past payments.

That does seems a bit counterproductive in the long-run, though we're also assuming that the OP got the data right.

5. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

You assumed he agreed.

But chances are he is a deadbeat. Some fathers get beatdown by the system unfairly, but in general there are a lot of bad dads.

6. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

yes, you are correct. It is 50% for current support, and 15% towards the arrears. regardless whether he's a good dad or not, I just don't see how much use he can be to the child if he's only working for 33% of his paycheck. Imagine if you made $1,000 a week and only got to keep $333 of it (before taxes mind you) to pay for rent, food, utilities, etc. How long before you fall even deeper into arrears and owe more child support? It creates a terrible cycle that benefits absolutely noone.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Wrap it up if you can't afford the consequences.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Do you believe that about the kids still in the womb?

Rocket River

9. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

What does that have to do with this discussion? But if you must know, I believe women should have the right to determine the fate of the fetus until a fetus is viable outside the womb which is around 23 to 24 weeks. I am personally against it and would be willing to personally take care of any child my wife or my daughter decides to have even if it was a their mistake.

10. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Ouch, I had no idea they took that large of a chunk.

Does seem very counter productive, I don't have any kids so I'm speaking purely as an outsider on the whole subject....

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Of course, we'll shuffle them all to the black areas of town like usual. Nice call.

12. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

I think it is OK to take the money. I do think, however, it should be put on a card and spent for only certain items (no going to the club on child support, some "moms" use these kids as checks). Money should only go to the kid.

As far as the amounts, it does seem high. I feel like there needs to be more investigation into each situation to determine what amount is appropriate. Problem with that is, there are so many dad's who hit it and quit it, that it makes it nearly impossible. Not to mention just folks who should never be together who break up and have a kid connecting them for the rest of their life.

I do agree 65% is way too much. They have to be able to survive. Otherwise, people can get into a situation where it is essentially "better to not work" and then, no one wins.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Does anyone else eat the garnish on food?

14. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

that's about all our laundromat worker will be afford now.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

So the dude is making minimum wage and they take 65% of that. That just seems like that will just keep him in debt forever.

16. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

These numbers don't add up at all. How many kids is he providing support for and for how long did he not pay his support? It's capped at 40% for 6 or more kids (source). It sounds like he's been neglecting his financial obligation to his child (children?) for quite some time. No sympathy for that. I don't feel terrible for him at all.

17. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Child support is the government's "tax". It keeps the poor poor and keeps the mom's unemployed waiting for their child support money every pay period. The system is messed up and curious to see what other countries do about this dilemma.

It's pre-tax dollars. That is why hotball is paying for it and not the actual employee. Also it's not a tax write-off for the father. So he's even more screwed when he does his taxes and he won't be able to claim the kid as a dependent.

It's also a headache for the employer since he has to write these checks every pay period and make sure it gets sent out on-time. If I was an employer and had to make a decision of hiring Employee A: No Child Support vs Employee B: Pays Child Support I would go with A.

Lastly, this is why these fathers go into the construction field so that they can get paid via cash so they can evade not taxes/child support. In the end, the government loses out on income taxes and the child loses out with no suport. I'm pretty sure this is what happened to hotballa's employee. Now the dad has to pay for it by either making 33% or quitting and go find another construction company to work for.

18. Major

Major Member

FWIW, hotballa is not in Texas.

19. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Ah, I see. In that case, any idea what state we're talking about?

20. Nook

Nook Member

After federal and state taxes.... the hotballa minimum wage treatment AND the child support... he is working for like $1.50 an hour.