1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 30, 2014.

Tags:
?

How do you feel about trading for Ricky Rubio?

1. Bring him on !!!!

34.2%
  2. No way, he sucks!!!!

65.8%
  1. conquistador#11

as long as harden is here and mchale enables, pgs should be put aside. harden is your point guard. accept it and let's look at back up center or a more beastly power forward. I think jones and demo can be that in another 2 years but it's win now mode for dwight.

2. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I really would prefer Bledsoe or Gibson

3. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Sure, there's a lot of hype with Rubio, but those saying he's "so overrated" don't fully understand how he impacts the game.

He's a horrible shooter and finisher. That's been established. It's been marginally improving, but I don't think he'll ever even be an average shooter in the league. That being said, his court vision is top 3 in the league. His playmaking ability is off the charts. He was 4th in the league in assists and also led the league in passes leading to a free throw. He has good lateral quickness on defense and has long quick arms to get steals and disrupt passing lanes. When he does get a steal/block, his ability to run it the other way is almost unmatched. He's one of the best transition/fast-break players in the league. He's still young, so his shooting can at least get to not horrible. Most NBA gurus would agree with this analysis. If he had a consistent jumper he'd probably be a top 5-7 PG.

Now regarding the Rockets, do I think he'd be an upgrade and make us better? Sure. Do I think he would make us legitimate title contenders? Not at all. Rubio needs the ball to succeed more than anyone else in the league. And in Houston he wouldn't have that opportunity as he shouldn't. Harden is considerably better offensive threat. And because Rubio can't be relied on to score, I wouldn't want him on this team for the price he wants

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Your poll is too limited. Need to know who the team loses in a trade.
    If we keep all the current starters, and find a way to get Rubio, then I'd say bring it on. Otherwise, pass.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Rondo please it's inevitable

6. HorneR

HorneR Member

Let's stretch this out to the deadline. I think people are underrating where our defense will stand with the team as constructed. Putting points on the board was never an issue, but now we'll be tough to put points up on.

Also, is no one else interested in what Bev can become? It's always one to the next one. Wait a year. Wonder what could have been. Rinse and repeat. I wanna see this one through, at least until the trade deadline.

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Also, its not that he sucks, but the question is how well he fits here. If Adelman was still here... sure. But with McHale, and alongside Harden? Just don't see it.

8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

There are shoot first point guards, pass first point guards, and pass only point guards. Rubio is a pass only PG. He has no threat on a shot, and you don't want him taking a shot. This makes him easy to defend. I'd stick with Bev at that point.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

disagree..this is another part that is overrated. most of his steals come from gambling in the passing lanes. the end result could be a worthy gamble but that doesn't translate into being a good defender..one on one with most of the pg's/guards in the nba he is not athletic or quick enough to play solid defense. tearing his acl didnt help either with his movement and he definitely isn't strong enough.

10. rocketseagles07

Don't want him. If you can't shoot and you can't finish whats the point? He's even more useless when you consider our current roster. If you guys didn't like Lin(with good reason at times) how in the flying F*** can you endorse Rubio who's worse at everything Lin was bad at but a better passer

11. DrPeckers

DrPeckers Member

I would say I would vote to get Rubio in the poll but that is with many asterisks. As others have said, it depends on the trade and if he is our only option on the market. If we can keep or get an equal position player back in the trade for our starters, DMO, etc. while still getting Rubio, I say why not. If he Rondo is off the table, why not?

I can see on see an offense run through both him and harden, and who knows, if Harden is not running the offense every possession that may free up energy for his defense.

12. Raven

Raven Member

In the right system, with the right players, he's not overrated, but I don't think that he's a good fit here. Morey, however, might not see a better player available that fits his flexibility criteria. In the end, it depends on how much he cost both in assets and contract size. For what it's worth, which is nothing, I don't think he's a max player, but I didn't think Parsons was a max player either. If we get him, I'll be cautiously optimistic.

13. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

No. He's decent but very overrated. Not a fan, hasn't shown anything in his years in the NBA so far.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Oh really? Then why hasn't it happened? And don't say injury, because a deal could have been hashed out long before that.

15. kemah

kemah Member

Rubio is worth an Ariza contract at the most in my opinion. With Harden as the main man on this team Rubio is a bad fit.

16. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I don't hate the idea of having Rubio... I wouldn't even mind giving up some assets to get him...

BUT the fact that's he's looking for a max contract (or even near max) after this year = PASS!

The max I would be willing to pay on an ongoing basis for Rubio would be the 8-9M range...
    That said, if Morey thinks he can bring in/get an upper level pf, and THEN give Rubio maybe a 2-3 yr max deal (while blowing the cap for those years... maybe...). But I don't think adding only Rubio (with only min players additions) gets us a chip - while paints us into a corner for that duration...

17. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Rubio WISHES he was a poor man's Rondo.

18. 34to11

34to11 Member

No team with Dwight Howard in his prime should EVER consider Ricky Rubio.

19. da_juice

da_juice Member

Needs the ball in his hands. Can't shoot. Set to be overpaid. No way in hell do I want Rubio here. Let someone else give him the max. All Rubio would do (on offense) is keep the ball out of Harden's hands.

20. Sanity2disChaos

I agree.... I really think Bev has done a very good job at the PG spot. I dont understand why this talk about a PG has run wild for so long. I agree that a proven PF is and should be the Rox next big move.Jones is like you said about 2 years away from being a beast!! I think getting a PG will be a PR move to shut up the fan base that feels we must do something now to be relevant. An upgrade at Pg would be a waste IMO>....