1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about trading for Ricky Rubio?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Sep 30, 2014.

Tags:
?

How do you feel about trading for Ricky Rubio?

1. Bring him on !!!!

34.2%
  2. No way, he sucks!!!!

65.8%
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I don't think the forum is that divided Plow. Its not that simple.

Where the forum is divided though is between the dillusional folks that think
    "He's the answer" and believe the CF Jim Jones Basketballhollic

and

those who say he's not the answer to all the Rockets problems.

I'm in the later of those two opinions, but that doesn't mean that I DO NOT want to trade for him. I think most people would like to trade for him, and not that many people are drinking the cool aid. However those couple different voices seem to carry the loudest over a crowd of usually reasonable people.

I would love to acquire him, but IF Morey trades for him the Rockets need to be in a BETTER situation to acquire talent than they were before. Giving up major contributors like Terrence Jones, and assets like the Pelicans pick for Rubio is completely out of the question for me.

Rubio going into free agency next Summer is going to be an issue for whoever has him, and they better be ready to let him walk if he commands more than his on the court value represents.

IMO, trading for Ricky Rubio with this understanding in mind would be suicide for this current teams roster flexibility. He's not the end answer, and therefore if he doesn't strengthen the Rockets trade package post Rubio deal, its off the table for me.

However if Flip Saunders wants to move him in a flexible deal like....

Say Terry, non-guaranteed contracts, and a 2nd round pick for Rubio & Barea... I'm game for a deal like that. A deal like that at least give the Rockets a higher dollar value to take back with expiring salary & gives the Rockets a few months to test out the Rubio experiment.

#21 dobro1229, Sep 30, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  2. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

He's the anthithesis to Beverley, so heck no!

3. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

4. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Rubio is best with the ball in his hands and utterly useless off the ball. He's not the guy you put next to Harden if you ask me.

Fun for a lottery team playing pickup ball like the Wolves. Not a key piece for a playoff team.

I'd take him in a timeshare with Beverley if we got him for free, but wouldn't give up much for him.

5. chandlerbang21

Gimme Beverly over rubio anytime

6. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

Flip wants to win now, he is not trading Rubio for chump change, nothing to see here.

7. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

he doesnt suck but no...no more dan fegan.

8. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

I am for adding any young talent to this team.

Questionable fit, but I think it would work.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

That's the problem for me, he's going to get paid more than he's worth. He's only 23, so it is expected that he will get better at least even marginally so. Although man it feels like he's been in the league for a while now, so some will say this is as good as he's going to get.

He's not a bad player though, just that so far he's nothing special. So as a player that is nothing special, you have to figure how he fits into your team. I think the fit isn't so bad, if only he had any kind of shot that is. He's a very poor shooter and it has been holding him back for a while now.

10. Fantasma Negro

Didn't work with Love

11. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

No to Rubio. Pros: Great passer, good team player, good defense, good BBIQ, good free throw shooter, makes Howard and Harden better offensively for first 3 quarters of a game and very coachable.
    Cons: Horrendous finisher around the paint, lousy to terrible shooter, liability at end of games for lack of finishing his shot and "zero" playoff experience.
    If he could shoot and finish just at a slight below average rate I would be all over him, but at the moment he can't. Do the rockets roll the dice with Howard in his prime on a PG who has never played in one playoff game?

12. roflmcwaffles

roflmcwaffles Member

He just wouldn't fit.

He can't shoot, he needs the ball in his hands.

We need a 3 & D PG next to Harden that can control the ball every so often. Rubio fits none of those criteria.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Morey wouldn't do that. No need to worry.

Unless we got him as a backup PG for cheap. I could see that.

14. s.b713

s.b713 Member

This, it depends on the cost. Not willing to give up Jones or that Pellies pick.

15. mario_v

mario_v Member

How do I feel about trading for a guy that can't shoot or finish in the paint?

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I say no. We'd have to give up too much to get him, and the way thing sound, he's going to get $10 million/year or more next summer.

17. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I voted NO, but I dont think he sucks, just that he will demand more money next year, and a team is going to overpay for him, so for me its not worth the trouble.

18. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's not worth giving up the farm for him. Rondo as an expiring contract if he is healthy enough is a safer bet.

19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I voted no! I'd much rather stick with what we have rather than go for useless trades. Picking up Rubio is another bad idea just like picking up Lin and Mchale was.

20. DasouthDakota

DasouthDakota Rookie

Rubio sucks, and isn't the answer for this team. As intelligent as Morey is, I'm pretty sure he understands this.