1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you feel about the Gasol trade being officially dead?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by IzakDavid13, Dec 11, 2011.

?

Are you happy or sad that this deal fell through?

1. Happy

78 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. Sad

109 vote(s)
    42.1%
  3. Meh

72 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I sure hope Lee's father can play some D like his son

2. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

When I heard P.Patterson was possibly being added, I wanted nothing to do with the trade. And was afraid the rockets were overpaying for Nene. The rockets need to get into this upcoming draft in the worst way. Move Martin and possibly Scola for assets that can get this team higher picks.

3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I'll give you that Nene was probably on the next up list but still that is speculation. Anyway Pau was the rims and Nene was the tires (and terribly expensive ones at that). 2 Max (or near max) contracts. Nene and Pau as our big 2 (more like 1 and a half) is weak compared to super teams. And if it doesn't work (which I don't hold a lot of hope on or I would have been behind it), trading a max contract is going to be harder in this new age IMO. You might...big might...be able to trade Pau but you won't be able to trade Nene at that price even as an expiring - unless you take back long running, over paid trash.

Howard going to NJ is what I wanted (and quite possibly Stern if he's really for parity) to keep LA from reloading. But don't you think LA also had a plan after this trade? And what better piece than Howard? They weren't trading away all this without "knowing" that the 2nd part of their plan was a "done" deal. We were helping them with their plan and if they could get Howard, then we just gave them the keys to a Ferrari. How will our 1984 Buick Regal riding on 24s do against that?

4. thething

thething Contributing Member

I think Pat getting added was NO's idea, not Houston's. I was ok with Jordan Hill getting added but that's it. The only reason the deal worked in the first place was because Nene was coming with Gasol.

Now we have to use Thabeet as our starting center. Hopefully we get a good pick out of this. Or we blow up the team at the trade deadline.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

potentially bored

vs

at least interested

6. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

100% happy! Having Gasol, who does not want to be a Rocket, would only create chemistry problems within the team. Lets hope KMart can just put everything aside and just play great basketball. There might be a better deal out there. Patience is a virtue.

7. DreamShakeFTW

DreamShakeFTW Member

Forget the whole helping the Lakers get Paul situation, which was horrible, but the Rockets were giving up way too much for the return.

Extremely happy.

Now since Martin doesn't want to be here anymore, trade him for a C and some young talent.

8. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

The fact that you're happy about nixing the trade for a potential disgruntled employee for a current, disgruntled employee make very little sense.

9. DaFranchise03

DaFranchise03 Member

The fact that we lost Chuck for nothing should make everyone sad. We might have given up a few more pieces for Gasol but those were pieces that were probably expendable. Don't know if you guys have forgot but Morey is good at finding role players. The only pieces we would have missed is Martin and Scola. I doubt Morey agreed to add young assets like Patterson or Lee.

10. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

I'am happy.
    It took so much time make a nice team with a lot of young player(patterson, dragic, morris, lee), the NY a minesota pick for 2012 to give all away for gasol. others posibilitys will happen and if not, i'am happy with these team, even if we dont make the playoff these year.

11. varuscelli

varuscelli Contributing Member

Mixed feelings.

My deal is that I hate losing good character/hard working team players. In the last handful of years, the guys who stood out to me (and I'm sure quite a few others as having those characteristics) were Yao, Hayes, Battier, and Scola. These guys epitomize a certain kind of work ethic that I really admire and want to see on our team. Scola is the last my personal four top character guys until someone really steps up and shows that he can fill those kinds of shoes. It sucks that we lost Hayes and I'd hate to lose Scola, too (especially in such rapid succession), but I realize that will likely be part of the price of moving the team in the right new direction.

I also like Martin, but for his ability to score. I realize he's not quite as popular here, but it hurts to think of losing both Scola and Martin. I'll trust that the team's decision makers have a vision for the team and a clear direction they'd like to go. Hey, McHale's a big man and he seemingly wants to focus on the right bigs and build around them (seems to be the Morey/McHale plan). I guess it's just a question of who those big men will be.

Am I happy? No. Am I sad? No. Do I feel like "Meh"? No. I feel more anxious than anything else...even oddly "anxious" about what didn't happen.

#31 varuscelli, Dec 11, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with all your views. At some point, McHale will have to figure out there are not as many skilled big men as there were in his day.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And that the game has changed, because of the "No touching on the perimeter" rules.

It is a perimeter oriented game now.....what McHale has been preaching is pretty scary, if he thinks it is still a low post dominated league, we are in for a long ride into a dark tunnel.

DD

14. liamrock

liamrock Contributing Member

Everyone gets their wish...we keep Scola and Martin and remain competitive but mediocre .

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I am pissed, because it increases the chance of LA getting Howard. I'd rather they get Paul's knee.

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

What a train wreck.

17. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

This is silly. Dallas won last year with a team built around a big man. The Celtics won with Kevin Garnet, and Dwight Howard has been carrying the Magic. Also, San Antonio would still be competing for championships if not for the decline of Tim Duncan.

18. cbs1507

cbs1507 Member

My thought on the trade collapsing...

EXTORTION

19. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

How the hell can you be happy about this!? Who knows what Morey had in mind and I think he was about to make huge moves. The trade being blocked caused Chuck to leave and to severely limit our shot at a big FA because of the money we would be saving. Not only that, our team chemistry is severely shaken.

So unless you like having a 10th place roster without chuck, congrats you got your wish. As much as you guy hate Pau, he's one of the best at his position and he's only 31! He could have made people actually want to come to Houston. Instead you guys want to go and get overpaid wings like Iggy and Granger and hope that they can make us a better team when in fact they won't. They would just block time the young guys can get. I'd rather tank than go after those guys.

20. anchel

anchel Member

Chris_Broussard Chris Broussard
    As reported Fri, union told Stern it will pursue litigation if no suitable CP trade made by Monday. Claim could be collusion, sources say