1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you Feel about the Donald Trump Speech?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T_Man, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Most of the time the speech isn't given by someone that half the party hates.

2. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

It is at 75% positive

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

What does "America first" mean? For example, I think "America first" means not building a f#$%ing wall along the Texas border. That wall will make America suck more. I could go on about how to put America first. The point is, I don't think you have said what "America first" or "nationalism" means, or what is in the best interest of our country. You have an emotion, but the emotion does not translate into any specific policy that a president would enact. If you have some specific action in mind that puts America first, just say what it is. That's the starting point for rational thinking, not just an emotion.

4. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I noticed that too

hahaha

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

So who are the Q's and what's their orientation?

6. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Bill Clinton built a wall on the Mexican border... did his wall make America suck more?

7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Actually, I am much better now than 8 years ago.

I had just been laid off at the end of GWB's term and spent almost three years getting a permanent, full time position. At the end of GWB's term I also was faced with the need to purchase health insurance for my oldest daughter with a preexisting condition (she had transposition of the great vessels when she was born, requiring arterial switch surgery immediately, and as such was considered a high-risk heart patient). No normal coverage would take her on (including AARP's offering) so I purchased a separate policy for her through Texas High Risk Pool for $500/month). I took on a few part- and full-time contract jobs, and even worked simultaneous PT jobs at OfficeMax (6am to noon) and Home Depot (6pm to midnight) stocking shelves.

During Obama's two terms, I have subsequently hired on full-time for a good and stable employer and a job I really like. ACA would have spared me from needing to pay the high-cost High Risk Pool insurance. We purchased a new house near Montgomery. My oldest is graduating from SHSU and will start law school at UoH. My youngest will graduate from high school this year.

8. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Well, according to Fox News it was an awesome speech. Rudy Giuliani said it was the best acceptance speech he ever heard. Newt said it rivaled Reagan. So it must have been an awesome speech.

9. Rashmon

First they came for the Mexicans, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not an Mexican.

Then they came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Muslim.

Then they came for the Democrats, and I did not speak out—
    Because I was not a Democrat.

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

Ivanna'd from MARTIN NIEMÖLLER

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Didn't waste my time on the speech. I did notice multiple outlets use the word "dark" to describe it. I suppose it could be because that's just the perfect word to describe it, or maybe they're plagiarizing one another. From the clips I heard about it, I wasn't very happy about the speech, but not at all surprised either.

That's a chilling thought.

11. Exiled

Exiled Member

How do I feel : President Trump face a military coup, tea party members along the police department will defend democracy from Military and Blacks.Everyone condemn his lead toward dictatorship ,while others want the elected President to serve his country.
    Hillary will escape to near by country .while the NATO request restrains .

12. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Those are all good points, and Trump has probably grown spoiled with the media attention. Which is why there is a real chance that he may have a real melt down as the media coverage flips and you won't be able to turn on the TV without a Hillary commercial paid from her war chest. Just last week he referred to CNN as the "Clinton News Network."

13. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

I wondered that too when I heard that, thought it might be a gaff, but turns out it is "questioning."

1 person likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For those wondering.
    http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/factchecking-trumps-big-speech/
    FactChecking Trump’s Big Speech
    The GOP nominee promises ‘no lies,’ but twists facts on taxes, crime, foreign affairs and more.
    By Lori RobertsonPosted on July 22, 2016

CLEVELAND — In accepting his party’s nomination for president, Donald Trump said “here, at our convention, there will be no lies.” But we found plenty of instances where Trump twisted facts or made false claims.
    Trump said after Clinton’s four years as secretary of state, “Iran is on the path to nuclear weapons.” But Iran was already on a path to acquiring nuclear weapons. At issue is whether the nuclear deal will prevent Iran, as intended, from becoming a nuclear power.
    He also blamed Clinton for the resignation of Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak. But Clinton and former Defense Secretary Robert Gates both urged President Obama not to be quick to abandon support for Mubarak.
    Trump claimed Clinton “plans a massive … tax increase,” but tax experts say 95 percent of taxpayers would see “little or no change” in their taxes under Clinton’s plan.
    He correctly noted a 17 percent increase in homicides in the 50 largest cities from 2014 to 2015, but called it a reversal after a decades-long decline in crime. Experts say that’s not enough data to draw conclusions about a trend.
    Trump claimed Clinton “illegally” stored emails on her private server while secretary of state, and deleted 33,000 to cover-up “her crime.” But the FBI cleared Clinton of criminal wrongdoing, and found no evidence of a cover-up.
    Trump said that “there’s no way to screen” Syrian refugees to determine “who they are or where they come from.” But all refugees admitted to the U.S. go through an extensive vetting process that takes 18 to 24 months to complete.
    He said the “trade deficit in goods … is $800 billion last year alone.” It was nearly that, but it discounts the services the U.S. exports. The total trade deficit for goods and services is just over $500 billion.
    Reince Priebus, chairman of the Republican National Committee, also spoke, and he erroneously claimed that the Iran nuclear deal “lined the pockets of the world’s number one state sponsor of terrorism with your money.” The assets that were unfrozen by the deal weren’t held by the U.S. government.
    That’s not all: Trump made other factual errors and omissions on NAFTA, Libya, household income, government regulation and the Affordable Care Act.

Much more at the link included sources for the fact check.

15. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My own thoughts about the speech were that it is practically fascism.
    It had promises of restoring greatness without specific except that only the speaker could restore greatness.
    It played on fears of social disorder.
    It played on fears of foreigners both domestically and locally.
    It had threats for a reckoning of political opponents.
    It claimed to speak for the commoners and demonized elites even while the speaker reveled in the spectacle of the speaker's own superiority.
    It's primary motivation is anger.

Regarding the fears of foreigners one portion stood out. Trump did reach out to the LGBT (Q?) community and I think he truly is more open to LGBT than most of the GOP. I his speech he talked about protecting that community from a hateful foreign ideology. That is interesting considering that the GOP platform is very negative on LGBT issues and his own running mate has embraced many positions that go against LGBT issues including reversion therapy (pray away the gay.)

This is a speech that we've heard a lot throughout history and is still uttered by other leaders. This is a speech that other than comments on LGBT could've been uttered by Putin or even Erdogan (taking out the Muslim parts).

#55 rocketsjudoka, Jul 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  16. dmoneybangbang

This. Trump essentially copied and pasted from past dictators. The easy route is to blame other people for your problems and Trump is exploiting that.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I am very confident that anyone who vots trump has an IQ below 70

18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Where would you rate the IQ of those who vote for Hillary, given her many many problems?

19. Rashmon

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Given that college & beyond voters strongly prefer Hillary, and non-college whites drive the Trump Train -I would rate them higher.

Where would you rate them? I know in upside down Trump land, things are different...