1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do you distribute your take home pay?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DraftBoy10, Mar 2, 2014.

1. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Could've gone the Wall Street route. Had offers at some big banks on wall street, opted for the energy rodeo here in Houston at Private Equity firm(Summer Analyst position) then went to a big oil and gas company in another internship. So two internships and finally a secure full-time job.

Now, I'm at a good role in a mid-large natural gas company.

From Houston and prefer this life style. Not the 100 hour work week lifestyle.

Someday I hope to be a trader, and a successful one at that.

2. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Yes, that's some sizable take-home pay.

The day I can spend "800" on a lady would be the day of dreams.

I'll always be single though, so I'll go for the Jordan Belfort style and get a call girl for an hour of week.

Will work it in my budget hopefully in the near future.

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wait until you have a kid...

#83 Ubiquitin, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  4. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

No kids, no marriage for me.

If anything, if I become very successful I will adopt...but never marry.

Otherwise it's work, my dogs, and my rockets. Will have female companionship surely just no commitments.

5. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Now you're talking.

6. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Wow, this is one depressing post for me. Not at all the world I thought I'd see or expected to see.

I don't think it is healthy to be so focused on yourself for half your life.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is what a lot of us married guys used to say when we were in our 20's. :)

8. Sajan

Sajan Member

yup. till he meets that one girl that he can't let go off.

LET THE DRAMA BEGIN!

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

This is my boy right here. Except for the adoption BS. Live the dream, captain.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

While I obviously agree, if you stick it out, you should be doing really well off of it 10 years from purchase. Hell, 5 years. Depends on location though.

11. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly it isn't that I don't trust my wife, I do. The reason I put it in an account she isn't aware of is that I know her, and she will just give it away. This way if I ever fall, I will have several years worth of money to keep everything going smoothly.

12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

On the contrary, it's a phenomenon that is leading to longer, healthier, happier lives. People raising families too young causes a lot of problems. Not only does going solo for a while allow you to grow and become a better person, it gives you immense opportunity to contribute to the world outside of yourself and your own family (which might as well be an extension of "yourself").

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah man, live the dream. Proud of you guys.

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Many people just follow the life script. You don't have to have all those things to be happy. And I think it's extremely healthy to focus on yourself. It leads to self-respect and high self-esteem.

15. Nook

Nook Member

It really depends on how it manifests in the individual.

For some people it is a matter of being self centered and egotistical and they never have to think outside themselves. Having said that, when people had children, were married earlier and went to school, they didn't all magically become not self centered and selfish. Those same people in many cases were still every bit as bad, but miserable as well with added responsibility... often resulting in unhappy families and sometimes abuse.

I did not have my son when I was young, I waited until after 30 and I do think that it was a good decision for me. I was able to grow as a person and now am more responsible and a better father and husband for that matter. I am less self absorbed after my son's birth and having a wife...... but everyone is different.

I tend to overall agree with DONNY. I have been a traditionalist, I believed in (and still do) the traditions of family, etc. However as I get older, and realize how many people are miserable in traditional situations..... I have concluded that there isn't a single appropriate route. If someone does not want to get married, have children, etc... they should not be pressured to.

Like most things, there is good and bad..... but it comes down to what makes people happy and also being responsible. Someone waiting to have a family, or not having one at all is not good or bad and fail to see how it is depressing.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

I'm speaking from a pure numbers/scientific reporting standpoint. The trend is a positive one. Lots of fascinating reads on the subject, as it's a fairly new development in the history of civilization. Obviously, to each his own and your mileage may vary, but the overarching result is a net gain.

17. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Energy trading is huge in Houston, if you want the trading lifestyle with a southern twist.

18. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Agreed. There seems to be a script; my dad's talking about helping me out financially. I don't "need" help, but he wants to reward my efforts. Rather than paying off my loans, he wishes to put a downpayment for a house.

To me, that's a great asset. I'm just torn on the idea of it due to the fact I'm single. When I mention that, he says you'll thank me when you have a wife and kids.

I reply I'm not going to have a family like that. I kind of accept that. My only issue is that my parents will never have grandchildren from my side.

However, in terms of life complexities, I don't want to do the script. Move out to the burbs, raise a family of 4, perhaps fight with my wife(chances are we divorce), be single again when my kids are pre-teens or teenagers, etc.

It's like a textbook that people go through. I know I'll struggle when I'm 25 and I date girls and they realize I won't settle down. I'm expecting that and won't hold back a girl, by any means.

Right now, my current position is usually the pre-req to being a trader. A couple of years of this plus starting my part-time masters program at a very good school could hopefully be a ticket to trading in early 2016.

19. SacTown

SacTown Member

Lifestyle Design!

20. SacTown

SacTown Member

Speaking of kids... Is this what's its like? You poor poor bastards.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Oh-NTxd43zY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>