1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do we keep T-mac and Yao fresh for the post season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shaggylambda, Jun 18, 2008.

1. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

As we have seen recently in the NBA, and in our series' against the J@$$ holes the past 2 years in particular, playoff seeding is not as crucial as it once was. The important thing is to get into the post season and go from there. We've seen that the Rockets can win without Yao. We've also seen that the Rockets can win without T-mac. Why don't we come up with a rotation system like in baseball. For part of the year where we can rest one super star and play one super star at a time. Then toward the end of the year, we can start playing them together to build chemistry. Pros:
    -I figure we can reduce the number of games played by both players by at least 25%. This will allow them to be less fatigued come the end of the season.
    -Less likelyhood of injuries, however injuries are part of the game and you can't safegaurd against them.
    Cons:
    -Can't gaurentee that they can get into the playoffs if they drop too many games with the west being so tight.
    -Fans can't see thier superstars perform "game in and game out" as Clyde likes to say.
    Just a dreamt up fantasy idea. It's never going to happen. Just wanted to see what the board has to say. Let her rip fellas.

2. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Really I think Yao needs to sit out the first few weeks and then he will be ready especially considering he will be playing in the Olympics.

3. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

well, at least give him and Tmac only limited run in camp.

of course, that may bring about leadership by example issues within the team??

Im still wondering - is this the offseason where we see a major trade go down? I'm thinking its 50/50 as to whether we have both Mac and Yao in camp.

4. YugoRocketsFan

Yao needs to play 35 minutes max, unless the games are crucial.

5. luhbron

luhbron Member

play 1 star every other game so that they each play 41 by season end.

6. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

We need someone else other than Deke. Maybe we can get PJ Brown as well. We need some more veterans.

7. JOHNNYN

JOHNNYN Member

find a decent C that can produce 8 pts 5 rebs in 15-20 min
    find a back-up sf/sg that can produce 10+ pts in 15-25 min (i.e. how bonzi wells was effective for us)

this can allow yao and tmac to average 33 min per game

8. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

get respectable backups for them and cut their minutes.

9. ydqkang

ydqkang Member

just strengthen our bench,then give Yao and T-mac more rest in regular season

10. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Actually the past two years have shown us more than ever how important the regular season is. In both cases, the best team (as judged by pt differential) from the regular season has won the championship. This year, two one seeds made the Finals.

Really the only case I can think of a recent team that won the championship while not trying hard in the regular season was that last Lakers team to win it. But that made sense because they were two-time reigning champs and you knew Shaq was gonna slouch it until he had to show up.

If anything the Rockets need to try as hard as possible to get the best seed so that they will have the confidence to go at least to the second round. This past season was unique: next year the 6-7-8 seeds will be much weaker than the 1-2-3's. Dallas Phoenix and San Antonio are getting older fast, and Denver and Golden State are messes right now. If anything I expect Portland to creep into the playoffs over another one of those teams.

Adelman is a much better coach than JVG for winning games in the regular season, as evidenced by our 55 wins last year despite Yao and Tracy being out significant parts of the year. We should aim to rest our starters more, yes, but not sit them out whole games. I think we have a great chance to get the 2 seed; LA will be hard to top with Bynum coming back but no other team should be able to win as consistently as the Rockets next year. New Orleans and Utah will duke it out for the 3 seed.

11. WNBA

WNBA Member

Trade them if they can only play half a season while taking up 60% salary.

12. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Good point. Point differential doesn't take into account personel in each game with +/- stats for each combo on the floor however. I'm just saying our pt. diff could be up or down depending on who we have playing. I'm not an expert, but to the average NBA fan, it looked like the Spurs coasted sometimes during the regular season and turned it on in the Playoffs or shortly right before the playoffs in a few of thier championship years.

13. Phreak3

Phreak3 Contributing Member

They could take up 90% of the salary. As long as they win 16 games in the postseason, I'm happy.

14. Gnimoay

Gnimoay Member

Let's spend 5 million to recruit those two famous guys from Phoenix who take care of their muscle maintenance. They would probably come even cheaper.

15. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

16. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I say get us another superstar and we can rotate the stars. I've said this in a previous thread. I think some others have voiced it as well. I say get us another truly reliable player that can allow one of our other superstars rest. This will definitely allow Yao to play those 35 minutes. It will allow mcgrady to not log those crazy minutes as well.

17. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Man.....the Olympics last for 16 days in August (August 8 ~ 24). And Big Yao will have at least 1 month of rest in September before the start of the training camp in October. He will be bored to death, and full of rust and dust, if he is asked to sit out for the first few weeks as you suggested when the new season commences. :rolleyes:

18. A00man

A00man Member

F that! He's not getting paid millions by the Rockets so that he can compromise their season while playing for another team!

If he's healthy, play him. If he gets hurt again, well we do nothing because the Rockets will never trade him.

19. abita

abita Member

keep them out until all star game :p

20. poprocks

poprocks Member

I think limiting Yao and T-Mac's minutes make a lot of sense. To do that we need some scoring punch behind T-Mac at the very least. Yao can sit and Dikembe can play more minutes a game. I think 10 min a game is reasonable.