1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can Embiid and the Sixers hold off elimination in Game 5? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How do we keep Dragic and Lowry this summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Mar 16, 2012.

1. lr22

lr22 Member

Sign&Trade Dragic for a decent big man, Gortat for example?

2. Rockets Jones

Rockets Jones Member

I like what Dragic is doing and hope it inspires Kyle to be that bull again that gave us the spark off the bench in 2009 and 2010 season. Morey even said he wanted Lowry to be that kind of player again but he's trying to conserve his energy with more minutes. Lowry already has too many TOs, so does dragic, so can you imagine how that will be if he goes into beast mode.

I do agree, as much as I love Kyle, that Dragic has more upside and no way either player settles for the bench next year. Only trade Lowry for the right player though. If we manage to get Deron we do not have to keep either and try to find a young buck in the draft (Kabongo maybe) to develop.

3. dartherus

dartherus Member

Lowry seems to have touched his ceiling, Dragic seems that still have space to grow up, to become even better than Lowry. Besides, in the most important feature for a PG, Basketball IQ, Dragic seems already ahead Lwry now.

Besides, for Lowry you will be able to get a better player in return, in the short time, specially if he's the starter during playoffs.

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

So now Lowry is dumb? How did you come to that conclusion? What in the hell are you basing it on? C'mon man. Enough with that GARBAGE!:mad:

5. HiGHurNAMEis

HiGHurNAMEis Member

The thread is cool the subject matter is sickening though. On a lighter note. .. ...

Dragic is a decent point guard, has size, shoots at a high % fg,ft, & 3pt wise, & plays hard, however sometimes more times than some not under control. Meanwhile Lowry is the epitome of meekness a quality you wont from you floor general. Can Dragic attain this trait, I believe so, Lowry has had it since he came to Houston, unlike Dragic who would have to develop this. Of course more significant playing time is the only way to do so. With that said lets look at the teams who need a pg moving forward next year.

New Jersey – Deron Williams [?] Testing free agency. D.Will might bolt for his home team who knows in the event the Brooklyn Nets will be in need of a pg. Do they want to embark on the future with Dragic as their starting pg maybe for the next year or two. Could see a $7M contract with a team option for a second around $9M to entice Dragic. Best option, big media market, starting, nice payday

Phoenix – Steve Nash - Free agent - Nash is gone. Dragic has been here before & could be a great successor especially if Gentry is the coach still. Would he want to go back to a team that dealt him. HELL YEAH IF THE $ is RiGHT. Second option for starting & big money (if managements POV is tainted)

Portland – Raymond Felton/Jamal Crawford - Felton a FA. Crawford is more of a 2 & sixth man type. Have $48M committed. Batum is a RFA though & is more of priority than a pg. Still would have MLE though. Fourth best option in regards to starting

Utah – Devin Harris/Earl Watson - Unsatisfactory. Two lotto picks. NO pg worth the picks though in their range. Unless Rivers comes out which I don't see happening after last nights debacle.

Atlanta – Jeff Teague/Kirk Hinrich. - Teague is decent, is he the answer though? Hinrich is a FA. $60M is committed to six players next year. Draft is their best solution.

Orlando – Jameer Nelson - Could use a better pg but with $85M committed highly unlikely

Toronto – Jerryd Bayless/Calderon - Combined these two are going to make $15M. Could use Dragic but can't afford him & are deep at position.

New Orleans – Jarret Jack/Greivis Vasquez -Could use Dragic. These two are set to make $6M combined & with NO only having $35 committed outside of Gordon this could be a destination. NBA hasn't sold this team yet so its in the air on their future obligations.

Where does that leave us with resigning Dragic? I say slightly ahead of Portland. We could offer MLE. Depends what we do in the draft, Martin, & Scola. I would much rather bring of Llul, & resign Lee, & move Martin to the bench. Sign & trade Dragic to one of the teams above. Just my take. & who the hell am I? :cool:

6. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I have a lot of respect for Dragic. He goes out and just does his job everyday. He doesn't complain about his minutes and gives 100% whenever he is on the court. Somebody is going to make Dragic a very good offer this off-season. I will really be sorry to see him leave, as he's become a favorite of mine.

7. radcan61

radcan61 Contributing Member

The real problem is his contract.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I like Dragic. He is looking like Lowry v.2.0. But do we really want a revolving door policy at our PG position? Heck any position? Do we want to keep trading away our starting PG and promoting the backup? Short of getting the likes of DWill, when are we going to say, this is the man we want to go to war with, and give him a competent backup so that he is not overused?

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Meritocracy baby, the best man gets the spot.

If Dragic is better with more upside, you give him the reigns and you trade Kyle for a team need.

DD

10. cod

cod Member

I don't have a good feeling about Lowry's health in the long run. He's been fully healthy for only 1 full season. With a build similiar to Baron Davis's who's also struggled with health issues throughout his career. It should make the front office wonder.

I'd rather take a chance on Dragic and use it as an opportunity to bring in Llull.

11. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I don't think the Rockets will keep both. Only way Daryl Morey will try to resign Drgic IMO is if he makes Lowry part of a trade after the season. I would guess the Rockets will try to bring over Sergio Lull next season but we will see.

I like Dragic a lot and hope he stays. Him and Lowry make a hell of a lethal PG combo

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Sergio Llull has a massive buyout this offseason and a relatively small one the next season, look for him in 2013, not in 2012.

DD

13. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

Right. I would hate to lose him, but it may be out of our hands. I do wonder if he and the organization spoke and verbally agreed to something, and that is why he wasn't traded, or at least played a role in it.

Oh, and the reason I quoted you....I couldn't agree more. This trade was so bad for Phoenix, it makes the T-Will trade look like a steal for us.

Pugs

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'm becoming more convinced that sending out Lowry and Scola for an all-star PF and signing Dragic to an extension might be worth it. I don't think Dragic is better than Lowry, but is Dragic + Gasol better than Lowry + Scola? Just might be...

15. cod

cod Member

If you mean Gasol, it's better if he stays in LA. Their franchise is stuck, no need to bail them out. The contracts of Kobe and Pau kills their future.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Doesn't have to be Gasol, but I like the idea of a Gasol/Patterson/Dalembert/Camby frontline quite a bit.

The best would be Lamarcus Aldridge but I doubt he's available even for Lowry.

17. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

hmm..if we're not gonna bring them back, better trade one of them and draft Kendal Marshall who's within our draft range.