1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do Rockets fans feel about the Spurs winning their 3rd title?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jun 24, 2005.

Tags:
?

Clutch City, how do you feel about this?

1. I'm happy the Spurs won..This means I'm not really a Rockets fan.

34 vote(s)
    7.0%
  2. I'm happy for Robert Horry proving himself clutch in other uniforms.

90 vote(s)
    18.6%
  3. I'm not happy that the Spurs have more championships than the Rockets, its about Rockets pride.

133 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm still angry that we lost to the Mavericks. We could have taken the Spurs/Pistons.

133 vote(s)
    27.5%
  5. I dont care, I stopped watching the NBA since the Rockets lost.

94 vote(s)
    19.4%
  1. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

I hate Dallas, I hate LA, and I still hate Utah. But, I don't really know why there's all this Spurs-hate on the boards. I can honestly say that I would be hard pressed to root for Dirk or Kobe if they were on the Rockets, but I would be THRILLED to have a team as classy as the Spurs. Does Manu over-exaggerate things? Sure. But that doesn't mean he isn't a great player. Unlike Dirk, he doesn't fake contact, he only exagerates it. But it's not like he lives off the line like Dirk did in our series. Is Tony Parker French? You're damn right he is. But he got Eva Longoria to come to the games, and he gets props for that. And Tim Duncan, well, in my opinion he's the second most likeable player in the league behind Yao. The Spurs play the game the right way. Tough D, team ball on offense, and with excitement and a little flair. Popovich is a class act as well and I for one was glad to see them win rather than Larry "Douche Hozzle" Brown and Rasheed Wallace, one of the least likeable men on the planet.

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Here, here.

Like I said in the thread in the dish; I'll never understand the 'at least it's a Texas team' thing. This is a state about competition with your neighbor. Have all of you forgot this is the place where neighboring communities become heated enemies during High School football season? :D

Hearing the guy across the country from you say 'we have more championships than you' stings a lot less than hearing it from the guy next door.

And Spurs fans are just the type to rub that in.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Willis25,
    I was invited to go last night to the Tavern. some 'spurs' fans wanted me to go. I decided to stay home and watch it. I wasn't going to cheer for the spurs, plus do they have HDTVs at the Tavern? That's why I like Ringers.

4. tinman

Supporting Member

Rockets2k,

I'll remember that quote. We all will!

Texas pride? You think any Longhorns root for the Aggies when they play Nebraska?

I'm not rooting for the Spurs even if they had to play the Russian Nation Team.

5. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

I live in a city that is #16 in population but has no pro sports at all. And that city's called Austin...so all these bastards seem to go for the Spurs. I'm the anti-Jeff in this regard. I kind of like the Mavericks - well, I don't exactly hate them at least - even after this year. But I absolutely hate the Spurs. Their fans are r****ded and I have to listen to it all day today and for who knows how long. Well, I'm taking a trip to Houston this weekend, so at least I won't have to hear it then. If I do, I'm punching someone in the face and placing a Rockets hat on their unconscious head.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

What about Houston Pride?
    What about the pride that Rudy T and Hakeem have brought to this franchise?
    What about the pride Hakeem had when they gave David Robinson the MVP?
    Hakeem wasnt 'Oh Congrats David!', Hakeem was take some of the Dream shake and baseline fade-aways.

Where's the same pride that loyal OILERS fans NEVER rooting for the Cowboys, despite their choke cityness?? I hate how the Oilers let the city down, but NEVER WILL I ROOT for the Cowboys.

That's why the Rockets never sell out everynight. Its because Houston is full of fair weather fans. I hate to admit it.

7. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Ditto. Cowboy fans have made me hate anything with the word "Dallas" in front of it. I'm even leary of that DallasThomas fellow ;).

8. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

man... you would have hated it - I thought there would be a nice balance and I was sitting outside most of the game and the casual fans were out there.

then I made the mistake of walking inside - wall to wall Spur Fan

Spur Fan in line for the rest room

Spur Fan at the bar

... I had to go back outside at the end just to get away from that cowardice

9. JDWalters

JDWalters Member

I don't mind the Spurs, but maybe that's because I live in Maryland. I was pulling for them because I like Duncan and Horry. The only teams that I totally hate are LAL, Utah, Phx and Dallas. I've got nothing against the Pistons except that I can't stand Eminem and Kid Rock. I was hoping they'd show those two idiots after the final buzzer last night.

10. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

So true, I always want to cowboys to lose, how many Houston Oilers and Texan fans root for them? I have Texas pride, but I don't have to root for all the Texas teams.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

I remember how Spurs fans refuse to believe Hakeem is ABSOLUTELY better than David Robinson.

Tim Duncan is an awesone player, I admit that. I admit he's better than any Power Forward we have now. He's better than Padgett and Juwan and Ryan Bown.

You put Duncan and David Robinson vs Hakeem (2 on 1). Hakeem still wins.

That's what I tell Spurs fan.

12. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

LOL
    :D

13. RAS

RAS Contributing Member

I hate it and now the sorry spur fans have this to put over us. It was hard enough when they tied for championships with us but to now be ahead.

THIS IS TERRIBLE!

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Guys,

GET OVER IT!!! It's OK, it's not like the NBA will fold tomorrow and there will be no chance for the Rockets to ever even things up. There is PLENTY of time to recover and come back with vengeance.

BTW, the fact that the Spurs won 3 rings in a TERRIBLE period of time in the NBA, when there wasn't nearly enough "great" teams in the league (only the Lakers were a 'real' top-echelon team. But the Rockets? They won two rings in the HEIGHT of NBA greatness, in the "Golden Age" if you will (the period from mid-80's to mid-90's). How many great teams were back then? I will tell you: the Sonics, the Jazz, the Spurs, the Knicks, the Suns, the Bulls (yes, even without Jordan they were still damn good), and the Magic. THAT was a REAL league, where great teams were plentiful and competition/rivalries were what fans lived & died for.

Now? Well, the Spurs had to go through: the Nuggs, the Sonics, and the Suns. The only real top-notch team they had to play, IMO, were the Pistons, and the Pistons pushed them to 7 games.

So not to take anything away from the Spurs, but they only started winning rings when the league became so watered down that people stopped watching; also known as the post-Jordan era.

I will take the 2 rings during the Golden Age of the NBA any day of the week over three rings that included a strike-shortened season and an otherwise "weak" league when compared to eras past.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

dont get me wrong....I detest any Dallas teams...I have detested the Cowgirls from the Luv Ya Blue days and the Mavs since they got all cocky a few years back thinking they were something special and we werent...adn it got magnified this year...

but I dont have anything against SA...we whipped the bejesus outta them in 95...and we havent been in their league in the last few years..and I dont know any Spurs fans so I dont have to deal with any tryin to rub anything in to me..

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i didn't like that tim and the spurs have more championships the the rockets and dream, however I enjoyed seeing how happy ginobili and parker were.

TM and yao will win about 3 championships themselves that will bring us up to 5 as a team and yao will pass a lot of great centers.

17. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

I am a huge Rocket fan. Like a family member died after game seven. Pulled hard for Suns. However, once it was Spurs/Pistons, became Spurs fan for last two weeks. I like Big Ben, Prince, Billups, Rip. Come to dislike Rasheed and hugley enjoyed his misplayes and mistakes. For this week love Horry, Manu, Bowen, Tim. Total respect for the organization in bringing in Manu and Parker. Wonder how we will beat the Spurs next couple of years. Lookin forward to the battles and taking them down.

18. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I hate, despise, and am jealous of any team that wins besides my own. Except for an underdog situation, but it's funny how that works. I was totally rooting for the Patriots to upset the Rams in the Superbowl a few years back, but 3 years later when they were going for 3 in 4 years, I was rooting against them with a vengeance.

19. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

I didn't like the way the Spurs tanked the season in order to improve their odds of obtaining the #1 pick (and the rights to Tim Duncan) the year that Robinson and several other key Spurs sat the bench even after they had been medically cleared to play, but you can't argue with the organization's drafting (specifically Parker and Ginobili with late picks). Their organization deserves the championship. I'm not going to sit here and be bitter about a job well done by a Rockets rival.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm proud of my city too, but honestly Texas comes before Houston. Rivalries are fine within the state, but when we have a representative go out into the wide world, I'm behind them (except the Cowboys, see below).

The pride Rudy T and Dream brought the team are highly prized. What of it. It's not like what the Spurs have done has any effect on what they did.

Dream already acquitted himself for the Robinson Trophy. If Robinson had embarassed Dream instead, then I might bear a grudge. But, what would be the point when Dream had already vindicated himself?

The Cowboys are the exception, being an eyesore on the planet. I don't feel bad about it since they are "America's Team."

It seems to me that some on the boards have had the misfortune of interacting with ******* Spurs fans. The Spurs fans I know are classy, respectful people. They pay due homage to the Rockets championship teams and recognize how dangerous the current team can be. It might be that some folks need to make some changes to the sort of people they talk with.