1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do people get super fat?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by YaosDirtyStache, Jul 5, 2011.

1. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Maybe, but I certainly didn't try to, and I definitely don't eat less total quantity of food. In fact, I probably eat more food now, and way more red meat.

2. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I used 2 examples. One person who is more than likely to be obese and another person that is more likely to have their weight to be under control.

The scientific data you will probably quote is assuming that the people eating less frequently have a caloric restriction. The reality is that a person that eats 2 meals a day is more likely to overeat than a person who has planned out many meals throughout the day. The reality is also that people don't watch what they put in their bodies.

The idea is to set yourself up for success by gaining knowledge and learning what works best for you. Eating 2 meals a day now might work for you, but as you get older and you lose muscle mass, everything could be different. If you want measurables, I'm 5'8.5, 178 lbs and 8% body fat. I was your size years ago and bulked up. I don't enjoy lifting weights as much as I used to and opted for body weight exercises. I like eating breakfast, snacking throughout the day, and eating portioned meals with healthy meats and veggies. I also eat 8 egg whites right before going to sleep. I feel better now than I used to when I ate pretty much exactly like you did.

This thread really isn't about guys like us. It's about average Joe, his children and his children's children.

3. franchise403

franchise403 Contributing Member

ChievousFTFace,

Oh you most certainly are correct in that you have to do what is best for you. Oh and fwiw I eat mostly 'clean' foods but I think the best approach to any sort of sustainable diet is to allow for some "unhealthy" snacks.

I've tried bulking and I can never sustain the amount of food I need to eat for very long. I start to feel terrible so I try and work with my body as opposed to stuff my face six times a day just to get bigger. Some one said it earlier but I think we tend to ignore our bodies signals and just do what we want.

4. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

Wow...people are actually making the claim that working out doesn't help you lose weight? Smh

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:p Nope! It makes you hungry.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about that. :( I'm going out for a burger right now.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

I think the instances people are referring to is somebody who maybe burns 500 calories exercising, then uses that as an excuse to gorge and eat a 1,500 calorie meal afterwards.

7. Voice of Reason

So if I start practicing for the Marathon, I will be on the road to obesity?

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You're supposed to be the voice of reason, and you're asking questions? :confused:

9. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

You might as well start digging your own grave. Oh wait, that physical activity will further make you fat! Just sit back down on the couch and watch those calories burn

10. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Yeah, you're an Ectomorph/Hard Gainer. There are a lot of diet/exercise plans online to gain mass for you.

I'm an Endomorph, so I put on muscle easily along with fat.

In the end, it's all about being able to do an activity that you love doing. You know when you are healthy. The true definition of a fool is somebody that lies to himself/herself. Keep up the training!

11. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

the way you wrote that statement makes it incorrect and it's very misleading....sure, if you exercise to burn 100 calories and you come in hungry and vacuum up a whole pizza, then you're going to gain weight. In that example, it's not helping you and you would be better off not exercising and just keeping the clories in check.

However, there's too many other variables involved, which can be controlled, that will allow you lose fat, which is what we're really talking about here. Using the word "weight" isn't always the way to go because that includes weight that isn't fat. When you put muscle into the equation, it's a different story.

As for the other discussion on eating frequent meals.....i've done it both ways (that's what she said-swoly) for a significant amount of time, all while keeping exercise and calorie count the same, and I had identical results, or no change at all. Food quality was also the same, so when it comes to meal break up and/or frequency alone, I dont think it matters a lot after the body adjusts to it. Otherwise the body will sense the change and feel differently (weaker, more hungry, etc.).

As for fat loss alone, my results were A LOT better after switching to HIIT and keeping everything else the same..

Hope I made sense, had to rush through my reply..

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I'm saying there is no correlation. Good marathon runners are lean just like good basketball players are tall. Playing basketball won't make you taller and running marathons won't make you lose weight.

http://nymag.com/news/sports/38001/index3.html

It's not about burning calories, it's about releasing the fat in your fat cells to be used as your primary energy source. Insulin traps fat in your fat cells, and carbs raise blood sugar which raises insulin levels.

Carbohydrates is driving insulin is driving fat.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

And more time deciding what to eat, because there isn't a built in affinity for certain foods (that they're probably already thinking about 2-3 hours before the meal).

14. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Your brother weighs about what I did at that age and I've only gotten bigger. I'm assuming he either doesn't have access to a kitchen/stove and is eating three fast food meals a day, and the third one might be at 1-2 in the morning. If his belt size isn't 50 yet he's right there, and as life gets more stressful and he has less free time he could creep into that territory. Part of me suspects that he's on a burger/pizza/taco/fried chicken cycle; at the very least just cooking some chicken, steak or even pork chops with no sides could be a good first step towards enjoyable food experiences with just a little fewer calories. He's just so young and optimistic now, he might not gauge how being overweight could affect his confidence, energy or ability to fly comfortably in commercial airliners built before 2005.

15. Nook

Nook Member

France has progressively gaining weight as a population.

16. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

I'm 6', 163lbs. I'm a couch potato and don't play any sports. I stay glued to Xbox Live for hours. But I don't eat red meats, fast food, junk food or soft drinks. I stick to poultry, fish, fruits and veggies.

17. Nook

Nook Member

Your caloric intake is not THAT important.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Wheat bread is not really any better than other bread.

19. Nook

Nook Member

I am always stunned by the amount of ignorance there is concerning diet and weight loss/gain. Oddly the strongest voices in this thread concerning what does and does not cause obesity are the most ignorant.

Commodore in general is accurate.

20. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weight is tough for all kinds of folks. Some of it is genetics and a lot of it is our life styles we choose.

I've struggled with weight issues all my life, but within the past four months I've taken a real interest in how I was living my life. On June 12th of this year I was at 294lbs, and now almost four months later, I'm at 211. I still need about 7 more lbs to go to meet my target, but I know once I get there, it's all on me to keep it off.

Prior to me losing weight over the summer, I didn't really eat bad per se. I didn't eat a lot of carbs food wise, nor did I eat a lot of fast food. What was making me gain a lot of weight was drinking all the time, eating really late at night, no physical activity, and too many condiments on my food. Portion size, how we cook our food, and condiments are big issues that I see with a lot of people including me. Water! Water is very important with weight as well. Folks don't get enough water.

This isn't my first time dropping a lot of weight. The first time I lost weight, I had dropped 125lbs. I know speaking only for myself, a lot of my issues have been on me. I work with a lot of overweight people, and majority of their problems are basically everything I stated that I was doing. There are cases where genetics play a big part, but I know a lot of people have weight issues based on their life styles.

There are some folks who are blessed with great genes. I have family members that drink beer almost daily, never watch what they eat, and eat anytime at night. These folks never gain any weight, but not all people are blessed with those type of genes. I know personally if I lived the life they do, I will blow back up again.