1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How do people feel about teaching kids beyond school

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pirc1, Jan 19, 2016.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think it's vital. Your child learns from home regardless of what you do. So the better the "lessons" the kid gets from his home life the better off he will be. It's also related to what happens in school. The discipline learned from practicing music will help in school. The teamwork learned from sports will help in school. The focus, and expression from art will help in school. It's all connected.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

We have a strict No Learning policy outside of school hours.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How long have you had this policy and how is it working?

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

A while. The results... eh... it's a work in progress. Look, it isn't always easy, but parenting shouldn't be easy. Last week I caught my daughter studying for her geography test when I went to get her for dinner. To say I was disappointed would be an understatement. Wife and I agreed that she should have to watch TV throughout the weekend to make up for breaking our house rules. We had her watch the entire series of Grey's Anatomy and all seems better now.

Tough as that may be, we have to be firm otherwise she won't respect us or our rules.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

We had 0 Asians in my AP Calc class. We had one Egyptian, and I think only one black person (she switched classes in 2nd semester). Not that we had many Asians in our whole school (it was like 48% Black, 47% White, 5% Other).

I have a hard time teaching my kids at home. I can't work with my oldest without getting angry because he doesn't grasp things and he can't focus at all.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe it's just Fort Bend high schools then.

7. pirc1

You are just joking right?

8. pirc1

It is the case in many schools, including the one here in my school district in Indiana, but Asian only make up about 4 to 5 percent of the population, so it will not be the case in all school districts.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Ok, but not marching band which is expensive, obnoxious, and should be ended.

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I am.

11. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I applaud you. I had my boy switch to GTA after I found Minecraft too educational.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The math in US school is below the level taught in Asian countries. Expectation is low here but student still struggle with that low expectation. I'm not sure why. Maybe because there are so many other topics that are indeed much more interesting? Maybe it's related to how it's taught here? Not sure.

There are 2nd gen Asians (so not exposed to asian school) that also seem to do great in Math. So how do you explain that? It probably comes back to discipline in the home environment and a culture of high level of respect toward teachers.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You're not sure? Its pretty obvious. Parents have little interest in their kids education. They feel its the schools job to educate them, and when they fail, the parents go after the teachers.

14. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I figured this whole thread was a joke. Are you seriously asking whether or not people should teach their kids stuff? The answer is an obvious 'yes' unless you're a complete piece of garbage.

And adults should be learning constantly as well.

15. pirc1

Plenty of parents do not teaching their kids much outside of schools, they feel kids should just have fun and play in play grounds after school all afternoon and let them watch TV all night. If all parents were teaching their kids at home do you believe the achievement levels would be so low for US students?

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That is obvious. I'm specifically talking about student that excel in other areas but still seems to struggle in Math.

(and yes, I hate how teacher are being held responsible for parent responsibility. I know the feeling. I have families members that are teachers).

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

BOOM! that describes American Education completely.

Homes with little respect for education or Teachers fair much much worse..and that is the largest problem with the American Education system. It's a bigger problem than funding, testing, or teacher qualifications.

18. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

neg rep.

tasteless

19. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I'd say that parents that do not teach their children anything are really, really unintelligent people who probably shouldn't have had kids in the first place. If the parents don't know how to learn, their children are going to be in really bad shape and there's not a lot that a school can do to correct it. Without a thirst for learning and knowledge, a school can only do so much.

20. pirc1

I believe for many Asian countries, the teachings of Confucius is still a strong tradition, which is that teaching is a highly valued profession and all students should respect their teachers.