1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Clutchfans Helped Someone In Need (long)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by kaleidosky, Feb 6, 2008.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

BACKSTORY

So I was flying back from India (connecting in Paris). And I had actually just started feeling pretty sick--some sort of stomach bug. But anyway, I was sitting in the airport in Mumbai, and I decided to pass the time by watching some of R2K's highlight clips on my laptop.

After about 5 minutes, I noticed a kid (about 9 years old I'd say) and an older lady (assumed to be his grandmother since they talked) switch seats so that the kid was next to me, and I could see him watching over my shoulder. Usually that can be annoying...but I figured no big deal. Hard to say anything to kids for little things, ya know?

When I was finished, I shut it down. The kid started talking to me out of nowhere--"Do you like the Rockets?" Usually I'm not one for small talk..but hey, we'll all talk a little about the Rockets right? ;) So I said yeah...and *he* was the one who tried hard to continue the conversation. He asked who my favorite player on the team was, found it crazy that I had a Novak jersey, said his favorite was "T-Ma.. Yao Ming".

For a kid of somewhere between 8 and 12 years old, he was pretty intelligent about the team. He looked younger, but his knowledge makes me say he may have been up to 12. He was constantly asking me questions that people have put into polls in the GARM. "What do you think about Landry over Hayes?" "Should we have signed Damon Stoudamire?" "What do you think the Lakers chances are now with Gasol?" "Do you think Aaron Brooks will be a starting PG eventually?"

It was uncanny...because he had never seen the bbs! I mentioned Clutchfans, and he said he had heard of it and seen it. But he had no concept of individuals posting information or anything like that, so I think he's only seen the homepage and not the forums.

THE HELPING PART

After all of that, we were boarding and the kid got up and stood in line. I noticed he wasn't standing with the older woman. I asked him if he was flying alone, and he said he was. Apparently something happened with their flight the previous day, and his mom flew on that flight, but she had to put him on a flight alone the next day. He said it was his first flight alone.

Someone's first flight alone being an international one, dealing with customs and all, connecting in a huge airport in Paris, etc...I couldn't let that go. (Domestic flights help kids flying alone...the international ones didn't do a thing. At least not Air France.) Anyway, you can't leave a future Clutchfans member in a bind. So I told him I'd help him out. I just said I'd wait for him at the bottom of the ramp after the flight and we'd find his next flight and all.

Well, the last 2 hours of the first flight were the worst I've ever experienced...because my sickness got worse. I was really weak, and I wished I could just get outta there. But I waited for the kid. Helped him through customs and security. We both had to use the restroom, and I told him I was sick. His terminal was right by the restroom, so I told him he could just go ahead. Well, I finish my 20 minutes of puking and dry heaving, finally come out, and I see him standing right there. It was kinda cool...cause it really seemed like he only stayed to make sure I was okay. Returning the favor.

That was it. We walked to his terminal for his flight to Houston and said goodbye, and then I walked to mine to fly out to DC.

THE LESSON

Without Clutchfans, the Rockets, R2K's highlights, etc...the 9 year old kid would have had to fend for himself. Doable, but not easy for a child's first flight alone.

Everyone, continue to look to help your fellow Clutchfans (and future ones)!

2. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Nice of you to help the kid.. and how nice of him to wait up to make sure you're fine. Probably wouldn't have happened had he started questioning only about the Mavs. So his mum just left him alone like that? that's not very nice.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

My first flight by myself was from Philadelphia to Orlando on my 9th birthday. My dad and sister met me down there and we went to Disney World. :D

My second flight by myself was similar to this story. I was 14 and flying from Houston to Singapore. I had to change terminals at LAX and get on a flight to Tokyo. Layover in Tokyo then on to Singapore. 26 hours. Nobody helped me though but my dad made detailed instructions of exactly what I needed to do in Los Angeles.

4. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

back in the days, it wasn't a big deal for kids to take flights alone. i was on my first flight alone when i was 14 from california to iowa.

5. CDogg

CDogg Rookie

Wow, Nice story, you r a nice guy, and was this kid indian or?

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Be careful. I once talked to a little boy, and the villagers started yelling and throwing eggs at me. They were shouting "pedofilo" or something like that.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Man, I hate flying sick.....yuck....

Nice story.

DD

8. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Good story.

Thanks for being a good guy.

9. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Nice work helping a kid in need. They're actually people with their own thoughts and opinions. I think lots of adults overlook that. You'll make a good father.

Maybe we'll see mystery Rockets kid here on the forums.

10. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

The kid was Indian..not that it really influenced me one way or another. I mean he started talking to me first.

Not sure about the entire story behind his mom taking that flight...I'd assume there was just no way they could fly together--otherwise, I'm not sure why a mother would leave her son alone in that situation.

And yes..the thought did occur to me that someone might think it's weird for a young adult to be talking to a little kid so much if they knew we weren't related or anything. But oh well, I figured I could explain it if I had to.