1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How bout them Red Raiders?!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Drewdog, Nov 16, 2002.

1. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Did Rudy coach this game too?

2. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I went to Klein High as well..... Class of 94
    What year did you graduate??

3. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

My experience at the game:

One week after witnessing in person A&M beat the #1 team in the country, I figured it would be more fun to experience a UT at TT game than stay in College Station.

First of all, the drive to Lubbock is a b****. I wasn't even driving. I hitched a ride with an old friend who went home. Over 7 freakin hours! Why do people live in the middle of nowhere? And why does it smell like crap right before entering the city? I was told it's the oil. I did not know oil smells like rotten eggs.

I bought a ticket from a scalper for $60 at 50yrd line. I then realized i could have got one at the gate for $40. I sat with some Longhorn friends and acquantances at the 5yrd line. Man, the security at this place sucks, which is cool. No bag checks, no ticket checks after you enter.

The stadium sucks too. It's small and under construction. It's advantage is that even though I was 3rd to last row, 2nd of 2 decks, the distance and view was like 2nd deck (of 3) at Kyle Field, 10th row. The crowd was like 20% UT. The UT band is so much louder than the Tech band during the game.

I'm not going to give that much game analysis because many of y'all saw it on TV. I'd just like to say that IMO, UT played to much soft zone defense becaue Klingsburry throws to spots very well, and he times his passes well too.

As for game atmosphere. Tech is okay crowd. More enthusiastic than a Rockets home crowd, but no where near an Aggie crowd. There's sort of this MC guy who speaks into a speakerphone and leads yells of "D-Fence". It's pretty lame overall. Good thing the game was so exciting itself.

BEST PART OF GAME:

During halftime, the MC guy reads the Big12 scores out loud as they show it on the jumbotron. At this time, I already knew A&M lost in OT to Mizzou (without freshman phenom Reggie McNeal injured in the 1st quarter). He saved that score for last. The crowd in unison lets out a great roar of joy. Longhorns and Red Raiders uniting in the hate of A&M. As an Aggie, I thought it was hilarious. Keep the hate coming.

2nd BEST PART OF GAME part 1:

After Tech scored their last touchdown with about 5 minutes left to make it 42-38, the endzone (of the right side if you are in the press box) fans in the front row of the bleachers started picking up the bleachers! They passed one long ass 2 part bleacher up the rows, in the fashion that a crowd would pass a crowd surfer. Then came 3 more bleachers. Boy, those crazy Tech fans are pretty funny.

2nd BEST PART OF GAME part 2: more crazy celebration

With about a minute or so remaining, when it became evident that Tech was going to win, they made an annoucement for fans to act "apropiately" after the game, I guess in an attempt to stop the field from being rushed. Then about 50 plus state troopers and cops spread out around the perimeter of the field to guard it. I was curious to see what was going to happen. As the play clock expired, the rush was on! A handful of students were tackled by the cops and troopers, but the mob was too powerful. Quickly, BOTH goal post were pulled down BY THE COPS using ropes already attached. Apparantly, they were not dug in the ground. The cops and and troopers then formed a perimeter outlining both goal posts and stood like they were guarding a secret weapon or something. I was laughing uncontrollable. Eventually, 80% of the field was filled by the Tech student body, but it seemed like no one dared to get to the goal posts.

Overall, this weekend has been fun. Other then watching the Rocks get stupid and lose at a bar that was a restaurant at the beginning of the game, but converted into a crowded bar right before my very eyes during the game (it's called the Brewery or something like that), it's been fun. I'm goin out now. Tech girls are hot. Almost as hot as A&M. Just no diversity, even worse than A&M, but that's not too bad.

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Must have been alot of fun, Kim. I'm just glad I didn't get in the truck and drive down myself yesterday - it was damn tempting.

Mack Brown is like that hot slut who gets naked in your bed and won't touch your dick.

5. Robert Snyder

Robert Snyder Contributing Member

Not to turn this into a Klein High thread, but I'm Class of '99 :)

Tech played their asses off. I do the network studio production for the Radio Network and after the game they were all estatic in the Locker Room. Leach told the team to have fun tonight, but be safe and to come ready to work tomorrow afternoon. The Tech Men's Basketball team was at the game showing their support for the team and they were on the field after the game.

Also, here in Lubbock we hear a lot of callers talking about the disrespect the national media gives Tech. Kilff, last week during his postgame radio interview was asked about the respect factor and he said "Winning earns respect". This win is the epitome of that.

Finally, on the bleacher issue. Those bleacher are not made to have 30 plus people standing on them, which is what usually happens for the big games when you crowd people into the student section. They broke and the students way of disposing of them was interesting to say the least.

Get your Guns Up!!! Go Tech!!!

6. RocketFan85

RocketFan85 Member

I always like to see Texas lose! (I'm an aggie fan) I hate Texas Tech alot too, but I am glad they beat Texas. Kiss your national title hopes good bye Texas! Tech is though to beat when that little 5-10 yard pass is being completed, but I am picking OU to still win the Big 12 south and the Big 12 Title.

7. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

That was a incredible game I knew tech could play with texas they always play down towards their competion but I wasnt expecting them to pull it off. Towards the end I think the feeling was whoever got the ball last was going to win. Im glad I decided to go out to the game today it was definely worth it. Poor Simms he came to play but he will still get the blame. I thought it was pretty funny how he told the tech crowd to shut up after his 85 yard pass to BJ. Minutes before that on the jumbotron they were showing tech fans showing a dummy of simms and pounding it on the fence. Will this new respect bring Tech a ranking tommorw??? im hoping I think theyll just barely miss it. And I know them beating OU at OU is a longshot but if they do pull it out. Kingsbury defintely has to have serious Heisman Consideration.
    Go TECH

8. Matador

Matador Member

I was thinking you were a Red Raider fan until I read your post and then I saw I was confusing you with rocketfan83. :)

As far as you talking trash though, I wouldn't. Chances are you all get stomped in Austin.

9. Drewdog

Damnit I would give anything to be in Lubbock right now!!!!!!

:(

I may go to Norman next weekend, anyone want to come?

10. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Hell of a game... congrats to Kliff. He and Chris Brown are my final two candidates for Heisman... will depend on how KK does next week against Oklahoma.

Even though we lost, it was still a great game. Almost 900 yards passing... some terrific drama. It's just hard to believe that the defensive play that won the game came from Texas Tech's much maligned D, instead of our top 5 defense.

Texas needs to become more disciplined... if not for those two penalties TT might not ever get going, or it might be 21-0 by the time they do. But, after a few hours, I've pretty much become content with the fact that we didn't lose this game, but Tech won this game. Kingsbury found a way to match Simms score for score, and the Tech DB that bumped BJ off his route made the defensive play they needed to win it.

We lost, and we do need some changes, but it shouldn't take away from the fact that Texas Tech just played a great football game today. Props to Kingsbury, Leach, and the rest of the Red Raiders, and good luck against OU.

11. Drewdog

Nice post Cat. I agree ;)

12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Wow Tech is ranked 23 and 24 in the two polls. Extremely happy to see this. IF tech beats ou and beats colorado to win the big 12. Is there automatic bid for the Big 12 Champion for a BCS? Obviously I know that im getting way to far ahead and the chances are extremely slim of this happening but the way kliff is playing anything can happen. Im not going to bet on it though What a day to be on campus last night.
    Go TECH

13. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

if major had played UT would have won...

I think simms could throw 50 INT per game and some of you monkeys would still think he was the next coming of christ..

my god..

finally we dont have to hear from UT fans for at least a couple of months about how great they are..it was getting out of hand for a while there...

I am glad to see my former school put the nail in the coffin of simms career and the horns for the rest of the season...

as hey partner would say:

next :)

14. Major

Major Member

Wow Tech is ranked 23 and 24 in the two polls. Extremely happy to see this. IF tech beats ou and beats colorado to win the big 12. Is there automatic bid for the Big 12 Champion for a BCS?

Yep - B12 champion is in no matter what (outside of one freaky scenario that can't happen this year). Ordinarily, you'd go to the Fiesta Bowl, but since that's the National Title game this year, you could go to any of the other three - although the Rose isn't likely. Sugar would be the most likely scenario.

15. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Basketball season is underway and after that it will be baseball season :D

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Can you believe it? Leach could take his team to a BCS game before Brown. Unbelievable.

This is a good thing now that I think about it. More pressure on Brown is a good thing.

17. Major

Major Member

n you believe it? Leach could take his team to a BCS game before Brown. Unbelievable.

Same with Stoops, Barnett, Tressel, the Iowa coach, Willingham, Friedman, the Illinois coach, ... :)

And they took some pretty crappy programs up to that level too (outside of Tressel).

18. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Dude, you're freaking insane.

I think Simms could throw for 350 yards and 4 touchdowns in a big game, and you would still be trashing him. This wasn't the "nail in the coffin" of Simms career. If anything, this helps his personal legacy. Anyone who actually watched the game knows that he played a fantastic, fantastic ballgame in a game Texas really needed to win.

The Texas coaching has problems, and the team was overrated... but to try and blame last night's loss on Simms, or this season on Simms, is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Without a doubt, Simms was the offensive MVP of this team this season.

Major would've probably done what he did against North Carolina State, Stanford, and those other schools similar to Tech: lose.

19. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Thank you Texas Tech:

1. Shows how good OSU's defense is
    2. Shuts up alot of people about OSU not playing anybody
    3. Ensures my big ten-brothers in Iowa will get the Rose Bowl

Again thanks TT, it was a pleasure doing business with you!

20. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Hate to disagree with you, Cat, but how does losing to Texas Tech (with a possible BCS berth on the line) help Simms' legacy (which was fragile at best coming into this game)? In 5 years, no one will remember that the D-line blew the game or that the receiver was at fault for Simms' late INT. People will remember the quarterback as the one who threw the INT (and couldn't win the game). This will merely be one more argument for why Simms was an average-at-best QB at a top-notch football program. Regardless of whether it's true or not, the damage has been done, much like a political scandal rocking a campaign. The candidate may have been the best man for the job, but, sadly, people will only remember the tabloid headlines.

You can defend Simms until you're blue in the face, Cat, but with each loss (and yes, there haven't been too many), you face an increasingly uphill battle with other Texas fans. It'll look bad if Simms is drafted in the 4th round (instead of the 1st or 2nd), and it'll look even worse if Vincent Young IS the second coming of the Messiah (as predicted by some brash UT fans here). I wish Simms lots of luck in the pros, but if he doesn't learn how to make smarter decisions (and isn't that the primary knock on him?), he'll get eaten alive in the NFL.

Congratulations to TT. Didn't/Couldn't watch the game here in Manhattan, but I'm sure it was a beaut. Also, you can be sure I'm gonna put Kingsbury into an autograph (and possibly dual autograph) trading card set... Hmmmm. Simms and Kingsbury on the same card. Might be worth looking into... :)