1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How are the Rockets so bad at rebounding?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, May 27, 2015.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hard to evaluate right now because of small sample size. Harden has what, 4 triple doubles now in 12 games? Probably won't continue that pace

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Except Atlanta is rebounding very well with Dwight.

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can't explain the #4 ranking in ORB%. If someone tried to figure it out, I'd suggest looking at how the lane is more open due to system, which theoretically prevents gang-rebounding by the defense. I don't really think we can talk about long rebounds from 3s, because Rockets broke records shooting threes past two years as well. I'm suggesting that there is not as many defenders in the lane, so more long misses are up for grabs, so to speak.

Heavy doses of bigs rolling and dragging to the basket can also get them better rebounding position (just a thought). I can also see how an increase in layups by bigs results in more misses and then tip back attempts? I do see us missing a lot of gimmes then tipping them several times.

As for defense, I would suggest looking at how the Rockets threat to run with a gang of three-point shooters might have made coaches try to slow us down by releasing defenders and not going for offensive boards as much. Again, just a thought.

So, yes, I'd look at system reasons. If it is, be curious to see how our 4th Q rebounding is compared to other Qs. I would expect system reasons to have less impact when the game is on the line.

4. heypartner

I wouldn't say "very well." They are league average in DRB% at #15. Rockets are better. Rockets also better at ORB%

I think the media focus on that is due to how they have improved noticeably. They were almost as bad as the Rockets last year. But they are still just average.

From a statistical standpoint, the rebounding story of the league appears to be the Rockets jump, not Atlanta. But Atlanta provides the easy to write story with Dwight ... and the Rockets story directly conflicts with that.

5. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

I wonder if NBA teams track box-outs in their advanced metrics.

6. J Hard

J Hard Member

Rebounding is defense, Dantoni doesnt coach defense therefore the players arent in position to consistently rebound.

Bad coaching philosophy, bad uooer levels officials that dont know how to bring a true championship contender.

7. justtxyank

You missed the memo.

MorningZippo and Drogba like this.
  8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

HP do you know if they count tip attempts as offensive rebounds?

I can remember off the top of my head multiple times where Anderson and Nene have tried to tip it back in 3 or 4 times in on possession as well.

9. heypartner

Yes tips are offensive rebounds. That's why I mentioned

So maybe in this small sample, us recalling multiple tip pssoessions is contributing to our #4 ranking in ORB%

Which I'd call an aberration and unsustainable wrt actually being better at rebounding.

But also, Harrell is a good O rebounder

MorningZippo and DonKnock like this.
  10. justtxyank

Yeah Ryan and nene have had multiple instances of multiple tip attempts on the same shot

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think only tips towards the basket count as offensive rebounds. Tips that keep the ball alive or big men tipping it out to the perimeter players don't count.

12. anchel

anchel Member

Current defensive system also helps. We no longer try to stay aggresive in passing lines, go for the steal...our priority now is to avoid penetrations, and that keeps everybody in better position for rebounding.

Yes, individual numbers are overrated here. Anderson does a very good job at rebounding. Of course Capela. And Harden helps not few.

DonKnock and MorningZippo like this.
  13. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

At first it seemed like normal variance, and regression seemed likely.

I'm beginning to think that the very threat of running is causing other teams to send guys back earlier than they normally would against a team with very average pace. People are playing our game for once.

I can't explain the defensive rebounds not falling off a cliff. The one thing I thought we'd lose with dwight's departure was rebounding. Maybe Ariza is playing significantly less time at the 4, Ryan Anderson isn't as terrible as we think, and Harrell doubling his per minute rebounding rate was enough.

14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

My eye test says our rebounding is more than fine lately.

MorningZippo, DonKnock and tmacfor35 like this.
  15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Team rebounding!

We should actually translate well in playoffs.

Our defense is solid.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Capela has been rebounding at a similar clip to DH through 12 games.

Also, Calvin and Kevin were talking about how well the Rockets guards rebound and like you mentioned, the threat of running gets opponents running back on the shot.

Thinking about it from and X's and O's standpoint, when you run the Harden - Capela PnR you have Anderson still way back from the 3 line, Gordon/Bev and Ariza/Dekker in the corners. After the shot you essentially have Harden on a big and Capela on a wing defender competing for the rebound in the lane. That's the matchup we have to win: Capela on the wing defender with Harden getting a seal on the the big.

MorningZippo and Drogba like this.
  17. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

It's obvious that the team is rebounding collectively. There is also players on this team who are very underrated rebounders such as Anderson and Dekker. Harden has also hit the glass hard this year much to MDA challenging him at every level. Capela I believe will be a better rebounder than Howard only because Howard has been known to take plays off while Capela looks like he's going hard every time he's on the court. Overall this team is learning to play their respective roles and are doing it with pride, heart, and effort.

DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.