1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Steve Patterson as GM? (again)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Feb 10, 2009.

?

Find Steve Patterson?

1. Yes -brought in the main players for Rockets and Blazers

36 vote(s)
    27.1%
  2. Moneyball Morey

97 vote(s)
    72.9%
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Do you not see the family resemblance?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Eat a whopper

http://newsok.com/article/3901443

But don’t get too mad at Patterson. We owe him a debt of gratitude. Patterson once got out of the way so that Oklahoma City would be the beneficiary of a certain ballplayer. Fellow by the name of Kevin Durant.

Patterson was the president and general manager of the Portland Trail Blazers in 2007. But team owner Paul Allen declined to extend Patterson’s contract that spring, and Patterson resigned. Allen named Tod Leiweke president, and Kevin Pritchard was named general manager. That June, Portland chose Greg Oden first overall in the NBA Draft. That meant Durant fell to the Seattle SuperSonics at No. 2.

But there are a couple of reasons to believe Patterson. First, Patterson is a Texas grad, with both bachelor’s and law degrees from UT. He had to know Durant’s special talents as well as anyone did. Second, Patterson knows his NBA stuff, having made most of the moves that put together the championship rosters of the Houston Rockets in 1994 and 1995.

Paul Allen apparently wanted Durant, too, but coach Nate McMillen and staff, plus Pritchard, wanted Oden.
    And truthfully, most of the NBA thought Oden was the proper No. 1 pick, since great big men are hard to find. Turns out, players like Durant come around about once every 15 years, so those guys aren’t easy to find, either.

Anyway, Durant went to Seattle, played his rookie year, then came to Oklahoma City for what has been a magical ride with the Thunder.

3. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

LMAO!! Steve Patterson is the devil in disguise. Do you guys realize he tried to trade Hakeem Olajuwon for three no name guys from the Clippers. Twice the trade was signed off by Patterson but it got vetoed by ownership at the last minute. This guy is a life long loser. If the Rockets ever bring this guy back...I would never watch them again and I have been a diehard fan since 85ish (8 years old). Worst thread in the history of Clutchcity.net. If you voted yes to Patterson...please hit me up on private message because I got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

4. Asian Sensation

Nice post. Glad you felt strongly enough to voice your opinion.

23 posts in 14 years. That's gotta be some kinda record.

5. tinman

Supporting Member

Did Dream get traded? No, they signed him .

You must hate Maxwell, Kenny Smith, Horry, Elie and Rudy T.

Dream was frustrated and he even didn't want be with the Rockets after the downfall of Ralph and Lloyd and Wiggins.

Do you remember that?
    http://www.houstonpress.com/news/5-...s-outstanding-clutch-city-documentary-7499195

6. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

I really like this post. I remember all the trash Patterson surrounded Olajuwon with for all those years. Remember Buck Johnson??

Off Topic - anybody ever read that part in Olajuwon's book where he said the Rockets had a trade on the table from Portland that would send Sampson to Portland for Drexler and we would get the number 2 pick which we would of used on Jordan who was number 2 on our draft board that year? Crazy to have Olajuwon, Drexler and Jordan all in their early 20's.

7. tinman

Supporting Member

Patterson was general manager when Rudy Tomjanovich was named coach, and he helped make trades and draft picks that brought Kenny Smith, Vernon Maxwell, Robert Horry and Sam Cassell to Houston.

"If you're good at what you do, you keep going up and keep getting more responsibility," said Carroll Dawson, Rockets former assistant coach and general manager. "Steve was always the type that if he was in the foxhole with you, you had a good shot at getting things done that you needed to do."

8. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

Your obsession with Patterson is really strange but did you know that Maxwell trade was done by an advanced scout and not by Patterson? It was a money deal that Patterson never signed off on. He had no knowledge of Maxwell until after the trade. As for Mario Elie, he was a Rudy T signee. Patterson did not want him. Rudy talked about this on a radio interview last year during a Clutch City documentary apperance. He said he really had to sell this to management and Patterson was his biggest obstacle.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

I absolutely remember Buck Johnson.

I also remember that STEVE PATTERSON DIDN'T DRAFT BUCK JOHNSON

http://www.basketball-reference.com/executives/pattest99x.html

Steve Patterson
    (September 11, 1989 - August 30, 1993)

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Sorry, this actually happened. these are real quotes.

http://www.houstonpress.com/news/the-man-behind-mad-max-6572968

11. Sledge187

Sledge187 Member

You and I combined have over 30 years of Clutch City experience and over 49,000 post. #respect #rockets4life

12. tinman

Supporting Member

You experienced Clutch City so you know how I feel. I understand Patterson was an *******, but he was good at his job at being a sports executive.

When Patterson was working for NFL Houston at the Pennzoil building, I saw him in the tunnels all the time.

I always said "What up Steve Patterson!" He nodded and acknowledged.

That's my story, I knew he was Rockets GM.

Same with Don Chaney, people hate him too, but I said what up to him at a Dave Chappelle show.

13. Lando

Lando Member

How about not

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I met him years ago when he was with the Aeros, he was the architect behind our championship teams.

He would be at least worth a look, but not sure he would mesh with Le$ and his money first philosophy.

DD