1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about some young Bulls?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sanjaylucknow, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Sanjaylucknow

Sanjaylucknow Contributing Member

Apparently, Bulls could move some of the younger guys including Mike Sweetney(2.7M), JR Smith(1.1M), Malick Allen(1.8M), Victor Khryapa for TE to clear the cap space to go after someone like Wilcox. I think some of these guys, will be great pick ups for the TE and future considerations. Thoughts---

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/bulls.asp

2. TMACFORMVP

TMACFORMVP Member

I wouldn't mind Smith and Sweetney if he loses some weight.

3. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'd definitately take Sweetney and Smith off their hands. Very interesting.

4. cdrtx

cdrtx Member

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Deals like this need to be examined BEFORE the final decision is made on Mike James. You need to know if your need the MLE or the TE for the next deal.

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

I agree. I think the other 2 would be worthwhile as well.

7. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I'd take Sweetney and Allen off their hands. If JR Smith isn't traded, he'll be cut. That's a team of hard workers and Skiles demands it out of them. There's no way JR Smith sniffs the court on the Bulls.

8. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

If I were the Bulls I would hang on to JR Smith until the trade deadline next Feb. Have him do training camp and 1/2 season with Skiles. Concentrate hard on teaching him defense: theory, practice and attitude. Work on his outside shot. His trade value now is nothing. Could be worth a lot more in Feb.

9. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Would you trade Luther Head for JR Smith (assuming Mike James signs with us)?
    I think I would.

10. Bank_Shot

Bank_Shot Contributing Member

J. R. Smith is exactly the type of player who would receive ZERO playing time under JVG.

On the other hand, we could use a Michael Sweetney right now, after we traded away the only legit backup 4/5 we have.

11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Heavens no. Only if they throw in Deng and tub-o-lard and we throw in Juwan.

12. Jrazz

Jrazz Member

Is JR Smith better than Darius Washington?

13. panamamyers

panamamyers Member
    Supporting Member

You people are dying to get Rudy Gay, but you don't even want to give up Luther Head to get a JR Smith lol
    It makes no sense. You think if JR Smith was in college this past year as a soph like he should have been that he wouldn't have absolutely been lighting it up? He's a much better player than Rudy Gay. If you don't have foresight to be able to realize that without seeing the numbers on the stat sheet irst, then I'm glad you're not our GM.

That's the whole point of a GM to project to the future. If you wait around til you actually see them put up All Star numbers in the league, then guess what, it's too late. It's too late to get Gerald Wallace now. It's too late to get Michael Redd now. It will be too late to get JR Smith in 3 years when he's tearing up the league.

14. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

There is a reason the Hornets and now the Bulls want to trade a 6'6" athletic talented shooting guard who is 21. He is a headcase and a bonehead, plain and simple. Now for our TE that would be a smart move, more than likely the Bulls will basically give him away for nothing. Luther Head is not nothing. He has more value than JR Smith right now.

15. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

He shot 39% in limited minutes last year and doesn't think that he needs coaching. And you want to trade Head for him? :rolleyes:

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Head is too much for either player in this case, plus Chicago would be doing this trade to clear cap space.

TE plus cash or future considerations would be all I do.

Personally, I don't see a free agent left that would help Chicago's roster much. Wallace, Brown, Nocioni, Gordon, Hinrich with a probably young quality bench of Duhan (PG), Thomas (PF/C), Sefolosha (SG), and Deng(SF).

So while I can see Sweetney(2.7M), JR Smith(1.1M), Malick Allen(1.8M), Khryapa all being completely expendable, I don't see a lot to gain in the FA market at this point either. Wilcox and Gooden are both restricted with their teams being able to match any offer, and they would have no clear role or upgrade for the Bulls. Harrington is the most polished player left in FA (along with Mike James and Wells), but Deng could be a more athletic, more versitle, version of him. The Bulls have no need for a small guard either (James), and Bonzi is an awefully big wildcard chemistrywise for a team with no big holes.

So if I were the Bulls I see no strong motivation to get under the cap because there are no great FA targets for them left. The only exception is if they just feel a great oppertunnity to shed salary now to make a major run at a player via trade, basically to get in a position to absorb KG's salary. The Bulls have quality young player with quality contracts and some good vets (Wallace, Brown), just another good player and a sizeable contract isn't really going to help them long term or short term.

#16 Desert Scar, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  17. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

People we need to go after:
    Al Harrington
    Bonzi Wells
    JR Smith
    Michael Sweetney
    Drew Gooden

If we manage to get a legit 4 and a 2, then the team is definitely set. I would try and hold on to Head though.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

Harrington- pipedream
    Wells- outside chance
    JR Smith- only for a TE
    Sweetney- "Was" promising with the Knicks
    Gooden- another stromile

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

These 5 FAs are all on ESPN list. Only JR Smith and Sweetney are worth mention.

20. spankz141

spankz141 Member

I hope the rockets use the small TE on JR Smith. We need a big gaurd, he would fit perfect at the SG postion which the rockets lack. The Rockets also need a player with some attitude, without Bob Sura there nobody on the roster thats aggressive and shows some attitude on the court, i would expect that from JR Smith.