1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Scola going back to Europe?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aggie 99, Jun 23, 2008.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He isn't coming back........I wish he would because he is a complete free agent if he can buyout his Pana contract - which is rumored to have a zero buyout amount....but I think he would stay in Greece and be a big fish in a small pond.

DD

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

And they play on the junior teams or are farmed out to the lower-level leagues like Parker - who's going to pay $$$ millions to stash some American high schooler on the junior league teams? Where is the ROE?

3. rocketsregle

rocketsregle Contributing Member

I can't believe hoopsworld bothered Morey with that nonsense. What was the name of that crazy VSpan bbs poster that threatened sue SamFisher and a few others last summer? It wouldn't shock me to find out it was someone like him from where the rumor came from.

#43 rocketsregle, Jun 23, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  4. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I just think if I'm the number 1 jr going into my sr yr and I'm eating ramen noodles every night, why go play and make millions for Big State if I can make 500k per plus tax free, a ride and a house, why should I play another yr of high school ball? I can get the Good Enough Degree, hire a tutor, and make money for 3yrs since the nba is about to raise the age again.

5. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

What is the point of this?

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I agree, but if they do pay money to 18 year olds it might now have to be millions but rather half a million......I mean what kid wouldn't take a 2 year contract at 500k each year instead of going to college?

You get to live in Italy, or Greece, or Spain, etc..etc..etc.....play around 50 games, AND it is legal to drink......

That is WAY better than college.....and the kids come to the NBA more ready for life.....as they have been living it overseas....

You don't think an 18 year old Kobe, or Lebron, or Beasley, or Rose or Magic or...well you get my point.....it may not be a mass exodus but certainly some players would do it...especially those that are struggling to get into college.

DD

7. poprocks

poprocks Member

8. leebigez

The money is real and tempting. Even when I came out of college in 94-95, I was offered the chance to go play in germany. At that time they were talking about 3200 per week for like 24 weeks plus a house and a car. I didn't go cause my baby girl was 3, and I wasn't really hurting for money really. My other teammate went and played like 5 seasons over there, never made it to pro's but came back and bought a house in cash and is chilling now because his house is paid for. If u take a poor kid and give him 500k for 3 yrs before going into the nba, that's a move, forget what the critics say. They're not the ones wondering about being shot or just eating every night.

9. SamFisher

You're overestimating what a 17 year old kid values the most They don't want to go to France and see the Louvre- they'd rather go to McDonalds and go to college parties - which I don't blame them for.

Anyway - if this is such a no-brainer, why hasn't it happened yet? Probably because nobody is going to spend $$$ on a player that's going to be a rental at best.

Again - why hasn't this happened yet? Probably because nobody wants to spend top $$$ to rent a high schooler who, in the best case scenario, will leave in two years anyway.

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Uh, usually when you put a link to something it has some sort of relevance.

Mullens is going to play for Ohio State for a year. What's your point?

11. SamFisher

And this is why this will never happen:

H.3.4 Age limit/young players

H.3.4.1 International transfer is not permitted before a player’s eighteenth (18) birthday, except in special cases as decided by the Secretary General after examination of the matter with the member federations and, if necessary, with the clubs and the player concerned.

H.3.4.1.1 Special cases
    a. If the proposed transfer is not linked to basketball, the transfer may be authorised.
    b. If the proposed transfer is linked to basketball, the following criteria shall be taken into account when making the decision on the authorisation of the transfer:

i. The player’s new club shall guarantee adequate academic and/or school and/or vocational training which prepares him for a career after his career as a professional athlete.

ii. The new club shall provide appropriate basketball training in order to develop and/or further the player’s career as a professional athlete.

iii. The new club shall demonstrate that it conducts an appropriate training programme for young players of the nationality of the club’s home country.

iv. The new club shall make a contribution to as Solidarity Fund established by FIBA to support the development of young players.

v. The young player, his parents, the new club, and the new national member federation shall declare in writing that, until his eighteenth (18) birthday, the player will make himself available for his home country’s national team and, if necessary, for the preparation time
    as well as for training camps provided that they do not interfere with school activities.

vi. The transfer takes place outside the school year in the country of origin.

vii. Not more than five outward transfers of players under the age of eighteen (18) can be approved in any one year from any one national member federation; similarly, not more than ten such transfers inward can be approved for any one national member federation.

of a player under the age of eighteen (18) where the
    transfer has been approved under H.3.4.1.1.b.

The Secretary General shall fix a reasonable compensation for the development of the player payable as per H.3.4.8. Such compensation shall be based primarily on the investments made by the club(s) that have contributed to the development of the player and shall take into account the aspects as per H.3.4.1.1.b.

12. poprocks

poprocks Member

uh all that says is that they have to send a player under the age of 18 to school. If over the age of 18, then they can do whatever they want.

13. poprocks

poprocks Member

The point is that if a Euroclub waived enough money under Mullens nose he might just go buh bye. What's not clear about that?

14. poprocks

poprocks Member

By the way looks like Delfino and Anthony Parker might opt out too. Garbajosa, and Navarro are already gone.

According to eurobasket.com Dimitris Itoudis is heading to the USA to try and get the signing of Carlos Delfino for Panathinaikos. The argentinian guard/forward (1.99-G/F) of the Toronto Raptors has an italian passport that allows him to play as an EU player. Panathinaikos seems to be hot on transfers this summer to regain ground in the euroleague from which they were knocked ou quite early this year. Carlos Delfino was also rumored by greek sports websites to be a target for Olympiakos.

http://thehoop.blogspot.com/2008/06/panathinaikos-has-set-sights-on-delfino.html

Olympiacos set sights on Anthony Parker
    2008-06-23 16:17
    Anthony ParkerThe Reds are interested in bringing another former Maccabi player. Anthony Parker, who left Maccabi in 2006 after finishing runner-up in Euroleague, is the latest target of Olympiacos. 33-year-old American averaged 12.5 points per game in NBA this season playing for Toronto Raptors. If Parker comes to Piraeus he should replace another America Qyntel Woods whose future is uncertain at the club. Anthony Parker averaged 14.8 ppg and 6.9 rpg in his last season in Europe.

http://www.talkbasket.net/news/olympiacos-set-sights-on-anthony-parker.html
    Should make Sam Fisher very happy because club Olympiacos becomes that much better.

Lets not forget Garbajosa going buh bye to rejoin his team in the Euroleagues. He was courted by both Unicaja and CSKA Moscow.

Jorge Garbajosa chooses Unicaja
    2008-06-23 19:02
    Jorge GarbajosaJorge Garbajosa will continue his career in his former club Unicaja Malaga according to Spanish media. Solobasket reports that the player signed 3-year contract with 2 million Euros per season. Garbajosa also had serious offers from Real Madrid and CSKA Moscow. The signing should be officially announced in the next few days.
    http://www.talkbasket.net/news/jorge-garbajosa-chooses-unicaja.html

Navarro jumps ship too

Juan Carlos Navarro returns home
    2008-06-19 09:50
    Juan Carlos NavarroSpanish media reports that Juan Carlos Navarro is returning to Europe to play for his former club Barcelona. Despite being among the second five best rookies in NBA, Navarro decided not to continue his NBA career. He signed 5-year contract with Spanish giants which is rumoured to be worth at least 10M Euros.

Juan Carlos Navarro averaged 10.9 points per game in his debut season in NBA. During his Barca career, Navarro won Euroleague in 2003.

http://www.talkbasket.net/news/juan-carlos-navarro-returns-home.html

15. SamFisher

Well since people are saying that European teams will start signing 16 year olds, I find it relevant, Rockets Dynasty.

Anyway - how come Mullens isn't playing for your boys at Pana now? Did they not sell enough goat's milk to make him a good offer? :confused:

16. poprocks

poprocks Member

lol only if they give him a nice warm barn to play in.

17. leebigez

Woods played pretty good his last yr in NY. He would be worth a good look as a backup 2/3. Parker was a bust, went to europe and came back a good player.

18. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this should be hoopsworld's slogan.

19. superden

superden Contributing Member

I wish I was offered money to play in Europe. That actually sounds fun.. haha.

20. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Hoopsworld will soon report that Ron Artest will go play in China to promote his new rap album, his shoe brand and his t-shirt line. This is because he wants to earn extra cash selling his rap to the potential 1.3 billion market.

Hoopsworld may also soon report that Chris Bosh will go play in Spain because of better weather...

Hoopsworld...