1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Scola going back to Europe?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aggie 99, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I sure as heck can't think of one! One of the great thefts of the modern era, self inflicted by the Spurs unto themselves. Why the Spurs, who also gifted us with Mad Max for a token $50,000, feel the need to help us out is a mystery, but who are we to argue? ;)

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Oh, God, no!!

But won't Tracy still count against the salary cap, if not the luxury tax?

Can we get an exception worth half of McGrady's salary? Let's go after Artest!!!

Better add one of these: :)

3. poprocks

poprocks Member

Never said I wanted him gone. He's a great bargain.

4. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

No way T-Mac's going to the Globetrotters. He's Washington Generals material. :eek: ;)

5. battousai

battousai Member

I don't mind the rumor seeing how we are in the summer with no BB activities, but come on hoopsworld at least use quarter of your brain!!!

That's like saying we are trading Yao with CBA. This is as dumb as the writer for that rumor.

6. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Right, but it seemed to me that Hippieloser was saying that the notion of anyone (not Luis specifically) returning to Euroleague after a successful rookie season would be absurd. I was just pointing out that someone else had just done it. There's often more glory to be had over there, and right now the money is very attractive.

In terms of contracts, Spanoulis had 2 years (one non-guaranteed) left at Scola-esque money when he decided to return to Greece last off-season.

Again, not saying this would ever happen with Luis...but that it's not unheard of for a player to return to Europe so soon, contract or no contract.

7. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

I deserve the beating, but I did call it BS and asked it be erased. :rolleyes:

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

An Aggie + Hoopsworld = This Thread

9. poprocks

poprocks Member

ROFLMAO!!

10. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

I wouldnt argue that....but

Under FIBA rules, if the NBA team that holds the player's contract does not allow him to play FIBA ball while still under contract with the NBA team, the player is forbidden by FIBA rules to play anywhere else that is overseen by that organization.

Spanoulias was allowed to leave by the Spurs, they did not stand in his way, just like the ROckets probably wouldnt if they had been unable to move him.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

They missed out on the scoop - DM the GM is negotiating to bring back the original, V-Span: Kill Bill: the TMac of the World: Spanoulis. Hisself. :D

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I will tell you what, if Euro teams start offering these kind of deals for less games, and more money.....and no taxes etc.....it will not be long before some premier players leave and take advantage of it.

Be still my beating heart....I would LOVE that to happen.

DD

13. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Hoopsworld is kinda bunk, but I do think there will be a day soon when a high school jr that's really good, but not a good student or is dirt poor will leave to go play in Europe. Imagine if LeBron would have did that and then entered the draft the same way or signed 1 yr deals until the right team got the number 1 pick. Money is a powerful thing when we're talking about atheletes. U can always higher a tutor or go back to school later. What college did yao,parker, or dirk go to?

14. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Dear Beating Heart

Do you believe in its impossibilty?

I believe it has a puncher's chance of eventuating.

Signed: Punch Drunk

BTW - a sign I have been looking for on Thursday nite is the '1'. What do the trusty brains of the brain trust really believe in the brainy hearts about Mr Brooks?

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

An Arizona recruit is publicly saying exactly that. And, in a way, how much does Europe differ in hoops than Canadian football did back in Warren Moon's day?

16. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

What I'm saying is when guys are hyped from jr high and is from a poor background and after a jr yr they're regarded as the #1 prospect, why wait 2 years to get paid when u can go overseas and make money for 2 yrs then go into the draft. I mean I have a very strong, very big 2.5 yr old. In 14 yrs if he is this super duper basketball prospect as a jr, I would gage his intrest in college and wouldn't mind letting him play overseas, make tax free money for 2 or 3 yrs then enter the draft. I'm saying this from a parent that makes mid six figures. That's not to say college is overrated because I went to college, but I own a trucking company and is more financially set than some of my lawyer and doctor friends. U can always go back and get a degree, but that euro money for 3yrs is lovely.

17. DaDakota

You know you can drink at 18 in most european countries too......all the more reason for the high school star to go over and skip college.....they can make enough money in 2 years to pay for school...heck they can make a full ride for 4 years part of their contract.

DD

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yes I'm sure european teams just can't wait to rent un-developed 18 year olds and pay millions for the privilege.

19. DaDakota

Tony Parker signed at 15, many European players are signed at a very young age, I am sure the Euro teams would love to have 18 and 19 year old American players too, why would you think otherwise?

DD

PS. Yes, you are off ignore...I can't puss out forever.

20. smasstastic

smasstastic Member

Yay! the V-mac of Greece is coming back. I've always said that this summer's priority is to trade away our starters for more quality benchwarmers. Tracy McGrady said "the benches in the Toyota Center are the coldest in the league. The management needs to do something about it, because it throws us off."