1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Juwan Howard and Luther Head for Drew Gooden????

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yaowaming, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Yaowaming

Yaowaming Contributing Member

Any possibility since Cavs is seeking for S&T????

http://www.indeonline.com/index.php?ID=8898&Category=2

Sign-and-trades – If the Cavaliers are forced to execute a sign-and-trade deal for restricted free agent Drew Gooden, they’ll need to get back a starting-quality power forward.

One rumored deal has the Bulls sending Michael Sweetney and point guard Chris Duhon to the Cavaliers.

“It’s a possibility we’re interested in,” agent Calvin Andrews told Chicago writers. “We haven’t talked too much about that happening. It’s up to the Cavs. If something would come up with the Bulls, it would interest us, definitely.”

Another possibility is to Boston for guard Delonte West and/or Theo Ratliff or Ryan Gomes.

One source said the Cavaliers don’t want Gooden to accept the qualifying offer of $5.4 million because they’ll probably lose him for nothing next summer.

Rookie of the Year? – Bobcats forward Adam Morrison averaged 24.6 points in the Orlando summer league.

“He’ll probably win Rookie of the Year with the talent that he has,” Pacers president Larry Bird told reporters in Orlando. “He’s been doing this for years, so it shouldn’t be any surprise to anybody the way he’s playing.”

Lose the headbands – All three of the Utah Jazz’s draft picks participating in the Rocky Mountain Revue – Ronnie Brewer, Dee Brown and Paul Millsap – wore headbands in college. That trend won’t continue as long as Jerry Sloan is the coach.

“Not unless I get fired,” Sloan told Utah writers.

#1 Yaowaming, Jul 18, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2006
  2. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Great idea, but we do not have enough to entice this deal. Why would they want Juwan and his 3 year remaining contract?

Juwan is untradable, except for another mediocre - non starting caliber player with an equally bad contract

3. Tameway

Tameway Member

We can sign with Wesley First.
    Than trade Howard + Head + Wesley for Gooden + Jones. Right?

4. Tameway

Tameway Member

And do we need Donyell Marshall ?

5. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

good lord, you have three threads on the front page, and 16 ? marks spread out among them. go easy on the punctuation.

6. YnMDynasty

YnMDynasty Member

I don't think Cavs will be foolish enough to trade Gooden for J.Howard.

Another possible trade is that Rox send Head and Trade Exception for 76er's Korver and Randolph. Shavlik Randolph is a tough PF exactly and he ranks 5 in Off Reb per 48 min.

7. YAO#11

YAO#11 Member

good idea!
    but will cleveland give up drew for juwan and head? :confused:

8. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

if it's good enough.

9. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

let me be the first to flame you -
    you canNOT package a TE with one of our players in a thread.

TE + Cash --> OK
    TE + Draft Pick --> OK
    TE + Different TE --> NO
    TE + Player --> NO

10. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Technically you're correct that you can't combine the TE with a player, but there's some flexibilty in the trade rules that allow you to accomplish the same thing under some conditions.

In a trade each team in the trade is allowed to break the trade up into as many parts as they like, as long as each of those parts are legal. So, the given example could work like this:

Sixers: Send out Korver ($3.6M) and Randolph (400K) for $4M total going out
    Receive: Head ($1M)

Total: $4M out and $1M in. You are always allowed to take back less salary, so the deal works from Philly's side. Additionally Philly would receive a $3M TE for the difference in salary.

Rockets: To make it work, the Rockets would view the trade as two separate deals:

1) In: Korver ($3.6M)
    Out: Nothing (use $3.6M of the TE to cover Korver's salary). So, trade 1 is legal from the Rockets side.

2) In: Randolph ($400K)
    Out: Head ($1M)
    You are always allowed to take back less salary, so trade #2 is also legal from the Rockets perspective.

Philly is viewing the deal as a single transaction and it's legal from their side.
    Houston is viewing the deal as two separate trades and they are both legal from our point of view. So, the entire deal is legal.

So even though you can't combine the TE with a player to match salary, because of this flexibility for each party in a trade to "instrument" the trade in any manner that they like, it is possible to break the trade up into multiple smaller deals so that it will work. Basically, you need to be able to cover one of the incoming player with the TE and the remainder of the deal needs to stand on it's own. The example here works because the TE can fully cover Korver's salary. If Korver's salary was more than the TE, then it wouldn't work.

We did this very thing in the McGrady/Francis trade. It was a single trade from Orlando's point of view, but it was broken up into three smaller trades on the Houston side. We used a TE to cover one of the deals and we actually received a TE in another of the trades.

Did that explanation make sense?

#10 aelliott, Jul 18, 2006
  11. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Except for one thing. Korver's salary is a shade over $4 million not $3.6 million.

12. aelliott

As long as it's less than our TE, which is $4.2, then it's ok. According to Bender's salary page he was at $3.6 last year, so his raise for this year should still leave him below $4.2. Likewise, the salaries that I showed for Head and Randolph are from last year, they would both need to be adjusted to reflect their raise, but that wouldn't effect the deal.

Also understand that I'm just clarifying the rule. I'm not commenting at all on the probability or merits of doing the proposed deal. I'm pretty neutral on Korver. I don't hate him, but I'm also not that crazy about him.

#12 aelliott, Jul 18, 2006
  13. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

No!

Drew Gooden is not enought for those two players

they would need to throw in another player

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

A Sweetney/Duhon package creams a Howard/Head package.

I don't think Philly is looking to openly dump Korver. Unless there's something going on that I'm not aware of, I could only see them trading one of their good young players (Korver, Iguodala, even Dalmbert) as a carrot for someone to take Chris Webber's dead weight. The two guys that they seem to want to move openly are Steven Hunter (legit TE prospect) and Iverson (for younger stars/draft picks/cap relief).

Evan

15. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I doubt the Rockets will pursue Gooden because he doesn't make sense from a moneyball perspective. Cleveland did better with him on the bench than in the game.
    82games

Our two most recent acquisitions were the opposite: their teams scored more when they were in the game then when they were out.

Snyder

Battier

Like it or not this team definitely has a direction now. Gooden isn't it.

I do expect Howard to be gone soon though because his roland rating is terrible.

16. aelliott

Along those lines, the interesting name mentioned in the article's trade rumors was Delonte West. If Boston were willing to deal him, I'm sure Houston would be all over that deal. He performs way above his value and I believe that Morey is the guy that convinced Boston to select him. If he were indeed available, I'd have to think that the Rockets would be interested in getting involved.

17. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Delonte West is not a huge difference from Head, West is a little better distributer and could be a backup to Rafer. I would rather have Tony Allen than West but Allen is definitely not a PG he is a tough 6'4" sg that won't take $hit off nobody. Allen has the type of attitude this team is missing without being a headcase and would be good for us IMO.

18. Tameway

Tameway Member

Disagree with you.
    Gooden($10M) > Howard($7M) + Head($1M)
    so if another player is throw by Cavs, Gooden + Player >> Howard + Head.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

20. aelliott

From an efficiency point and contribution to winning point of view it's not even close.

West has an 8.4% higher field goal percentage. While their actual salaries are almost the same ($1M), West's fair salary is over double that of Head ($7.73 vs $3.64). Additionally West has a roland rating of +2.5, while Head's roland rating is - 2.1 (That means that the Rockets actually play better when Head isn't on the floor).

West is a hugely efficient player and just the kind of guy that would appeal to Morey.