1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about J.J Hickson?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets_12, May 4, 2013.

1. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

I mean why not? If we sign Dwight, he would be a great fit with him in that frontcourt. I live in Portland and get to see every Blazer game that is played. Hickson gobbles up rebounds like crazy. He is great at second chance opportunities and incredibly athletic. His jumper is pretty good as well. I mean, we could save ourselves about 5 million by signing him instead of Josh Smith. We could use that 5 million on resigning Garcia and Delfino. Just an idea though, what do you guys think?

2. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Did Hickson not benefit from LA being a mid range shooter and double teams being on LA and Lillard? I mean yeah we got Harden, but who else would open the floor for him? Asik and him would both be on the boards. I am just afraid that Portland is the ideal situation for him and if he comes over, he wont be as productive

3. ooox

ooox Member

Eh. He'll command 10 million but I don't really see anything special about him. He's athletic and a good rebounder but that's about it.

4. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Portland is probably not going to resign him. He wants around 8 million a year. Portland won't resign him because they want a center that is taller. Hickson plays the 5, however his natural position is the 4. But if we sign Dwight, I feel like Hickson would be a great fit with him down in the low post.

5. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fEsDKn8gzvM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I don't watch him enough to know the full story on him, but i've always thought he had good enough skills to be talked about a lot more. He's not great, but could play a scola-like role for us (8 mill/yr semi-star).

Does he have a problem with his attitude or motivation?

7. The Stig

The Stig Member

I can see Morey weighing up an offer for JJ Hickson. He's one of those players that is young, a recent starting player with good stats, and most importantly, he's got something to prove. Lots of chatters from the media that Portland doesn't know if he's worth the money he's commanding.

However, I don't watch Portland so I don't know how good he is on a game to game basis.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Jack of all trades, master of none.
    Why would we go for Hickson? We need a star. We have the cap room why not maximize our utility?

9. NotChandlerParsons

A fine player, but one who is going to be overpaid. Pass.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

They can't all be like you, Chandler.

11. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

He doesn't really have an attitude or motivational problem. However, I do remember hearing that Portland had a long chat with him about things he was tweeting. Apparently it was inappropriate....

12. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Ok, who do you recommend we sign? I don't see the problem with saving a few million for investing in problems we may have after we sign Dwight and/or Josh. I recommended Hickson because we wouldn't have to pay him as much as we would Smoove.

13. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

how is his defense?

14. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

His defense is solid. I say that because he played the 5 last year and did pretty good on some of the NBA's best especially considering he didn't play at his natural position.

15. Rockets_12

Rockets_12 Member

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of having a Lin, Harden, Parsons, Smoove, and Dwight line-up. This was just a thought incase we wanted to save money or we did not get any star PF we were targeting.

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

He is a solid player but he plays more like a 5 than a 4, at least the times I've seen him play. We don't need another roll Yer at this point, we need a star. Even considering Hixon at this point is a bad idea.

17. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

all star talent or better this summer, and nothing less. I can't agree more. if we strike out so be it, let the young guys improve and try to clear space again for the next big group of FA's. with a young team that can win, and a star like harden, i can't imagine the rockets strike out too many times.

18. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

Would be estatic to get this guy. He's a really good rebounder and amazing athlete, and he's not a pushover either. Sign me up. If Lin, Harden, Parsons, and Asik continue to improve, and we get a young guy who is breaking out of his shell, then we will be really good for a long time. If Hickson can become a star, then we're really set.

19. Anxiety Trooper

20. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

He can't play defense to save his life.