1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about a trade for Granger?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Phillyrocket, May 12, 2013.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

So hear me out. I would only advocate for this if Howard signs. Now trade Asik and Lin and maybe T-rob for Granger and parts to make the salaries work though they are close I believe. If Granger can come back there's your big 3 if not then he's a huge expiring contract you an either flip at the deadline or just turn him lose for the 2014 FA class to get your #3 star.

From the Rockets perspective you consolidate your remaining contracts that are preventing you from having the cap space and then getting them off the books. For the Pacers I suppose it's depth and you may need to throw in a T-rob to sweeten the deal to get them to agree to take on that salary.

Just seems to me an under the radar Morey move. He's mentioned before the need to take risks to attain stars. Salary clearing strategy aside this a perfect way to get that # 3 star if Granger is good to go.

2. trowa2

trowa2 Member

pacers would be happy to send that chucker to us.

3. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

If Chandler improves a fraction as much as last off-season, he'll be better, and at a fraction of the price. We need to upgrade the 4 and 1. We are set at the 2,3 and 5.

1 person likes this.
  4. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, what? That trade is INSANE! I'd support getting Granger as a 1 year stop gap as like Plan F for this off-season, but only if it's construed as us doing Indy a favor by taking that salary off their hands. I would not send back ANY assets.

5. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

True but if Granger comes back to form flip him for a 1 or 4. I present this case mainly as a salary clearing move with a potential big payoff.

6. Midixinormous

Midixinormous Member

No, not too much of a improvement over Parsons considering Granger is injury prone, overpaid and have hit his ceiling.

Our weakest positions are PF and PG in that order, need to improve those positions first.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Again it's getting the salary out of here a year early for the chance at obtaining a 2014 FA star. If Howard signs Asik has to go. If Morey feels that a star #3 is the ultimate end goal then clearing the salary is the way to go. Unless you think Asik, Lin, T-Rob can net us Kevin Love straight up?

8. Nook

Nook Member

Nope.

Asik has good trade value and as we get more complete, we must maximize the assets we have. Thus would deal Asik for a more valuable asset. A HEALTHY Granger/Parsons duo at the 3 & 4 would go far, but I don't see Granger being healthy and frankly Asik is worth more.

9. mockster

mockster Member

TBH Granger is nice because he can size up defenders and he's a solid player but Id rather sign Tyreke Evans as a back up SF/SG/PG speacilly if we sign Howard. We could prolly get him for cheaper then Granger

10. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

He's a RFA, though, so we probably won't be able to get him outside of a trade, and Sacramento won't trade him if they can convince him to resign.

11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He is inefficient,and won't like to come off the bench in Houston.

12. trowa2

trowa2 Member

unless we put either parsons or granger at the 4.

13. ryano2009

ryano2009 Member

Trading Asik for Granger is just pure insane.

14. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Oh how much a year changes things! I would not have said this 9 months ago, but now?

I think we can get more from Asik than just Granger :p

If we signed Howard, I would rather move TRob and Asik (well TRob would have already been moved probably to sign D12, depending on where the cap goes) for a first round pick...maybe force someone to take White with Asik, like a bad contract, for a first round pick.

Then use that space to just outright sign Milllsap. We keep our current bench, minus Brooks, Garcia, Olbrecht and Delfino (could we actually waive the option on Garcia then win him on the open market for less than $6M?), and we would have a starting 5 of:

Lin/Harden/Parsons/Millsap/Howard

Yes please.

I do see the financial flexibility of getting Granger, however, though I'm not willing to part with Lin and Asik and TRob just to get it...

15. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

for 5 mil a year, yes

for 12mil a year with bad knees , hell no

16. meteor0love

meteor0love Member

how about getting someone for the bench? I was thinking about Copeland Chris from New York. He's amazing on the offense and comes with a fraction of a price.

He's also at a bargain with fg% at 48 and 3 pt % at 43. Although his defence need some work, but he could work on it since it's his first year in NBA. Any thoughts?

17. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

When will some of you stop with the suggestion of trading Lin??? He is not on the market. Unless we are upgrading for an elite pg like CP, then Lin is going to be with this team for the foreseeable future, as he should be. Let's throw in our starting pg who started every game in the regular season at age 23 and averaged 13 and 6 in his first full season for a guy who's barely played the past year to improve our team? When we have the cap space to do so without getting rid of any of our core? Nice.

18. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Granger's can be our 4. Pretty sneaky idea..I like it.

19. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes. And as a 4/3. It is Plan F, not G (as in Granger).

20. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I like Granger, but why would the Pacers trade for Asik? They'd be spending like $20-25 million a season on thier center position.