1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How abot trading Brooks to keep Lowry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dakeem1, Jul 14, 2010.

1. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

It sounds like many believe that Lowry has no offense whatsoever, that he would simply be chucking up bad shots whenever Yao gets double teamed. He's going to take some shots and he's going to miss some, but Lowry will make something happen. He may drive and draw a foul, he may drive and kick, he may take a midrange shot. What I don't see him doing is suddenly developing poor shot selection.

I want to keep both, but don't feel like the team suffers if we trade AB to get a Granger, nor does that mean that teams can leave Lowry open without paying for it.

2. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

THIS THREAD FAILS IN EPIC PROPORTION!!!

3. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Not many hence why i said if one comes up, you trade AB without a thought.

I have always believe in the rule of "You don't need an Elite PG to win Championships"

4. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

I'm up for this. Brooks + Martin are too offense orientated. We need a pass first PG so Martin can be effectively used. Now with Yao coming back, Brooks is not going to get to do what he did last season.

Ariza + Brooks for a good wing like Josh Smith.

5. BoomTown

BoomTown Member

i like the idea but i dont think morey would do it.

i guess we will just have to wait and see!

6. echu888

echu888 Member

Rondo? Very Lowry-esque.

7. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Not fair to Lowry in one aspect. Rondo sucks big time at the free throw line.

8. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Rondo was also not expected to score at a high rate...especially when you have Garnett, Pierce and Allen doing the majority of the scoring.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

ONCE AGAIN A HORRIBLE AND STUPID ANALYSIS OF THE SITUATION IN MEMPHIS

Lowry suffered a broken wrist his rookie year which only limited him to 10 games so even going into his sophomore year he was a relative unknown and almost a rookie himself in his second year when the Grizzlies selected conley

The Grizzlies had Damon Stoudamire and then just drafted at #4 OVERALL a PG in Conley

Stoudamire was the veteran who had to play to "win now" since the team at the time still had Pau Gasol before the trade so he started all 29 games he played in memphis that season. Any coach would play the veteran Stoudamire over the unproven "rookie" in Lowry...hell Rafer started every game he was healthy here over brooks and damon >>>> rafer

then with damon gone the Grizzlies just selected a PG at #4 they HAD to play him even if he wasnt better than Lowry. They couldnt just totally lose face with their fans like that, Conley too was coming off a very hyped single freshman season at Ohio State where they made the championship game.

If the Rockets had a prospect like that selected that high just sitting on the bench YOU would be the first one clamoring why he isnt starting...hell you did that with Brooks and he was selected at #26

Given basically two rookies that play the same position, one selected at #4 and one at #24 which one do you think everyone from ownership to fans will want to see play and start?

Management invested more in Conley and he had to play once Gasol left

But the following year it became obvious that Lowry was the better player too as he did start 21 out of the 49 games for the grizzlies before being traded to the Rockets. (Conley did play in all 82 games that season too)

If there weren't any external pressure in playing Conley no way he would have started over Lowry. Morey realized this and knew Lowry was undervalued and under appreciated in Memphis and pounced on him. Lowry was always a guy Morey coveted.

dont go around implying Lowry isnt good enough to be a starter because he couldnt beat out Conley

But THAT logic I can say this:

Rafer is better than Brooks because Brooks couldnt beat out Rafer for the starting position and the only way Brooks was able to start was when Rafer was traded away. At least Lowry started 21 games in memphis before Lowry was traded to the Houston when Conley was still there. Brooks never beat Rafer out for the starting spot unless Rafer was hurt or suspended.

Given the situation with injuries last year Brooks' scoring was far more valuable to the starting unit...given a fair shot in training camp I would not be surprised at all if Lowry beat out Brooks for the starting position (if the Rockets do match which I think they will)

1 person likes this.
  10. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

We need a shooter at the 1, unless Lowry did some serious work this summer we can't afford to have him play point guard. You are right tho we could get a very serviceable back up center for Brooks

11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

You mean when Llull is to come over, Brooks will be the goner. There's a reason he becomes UFA the year Llull's Spanish contract expires. Morey's always got a plan...

I said before he signed that I would take Lowry for up to 7M per. This is a reasonable deal IMO, I'll take it. He's better than Steve Blake and Blake's contract is comparable.

12. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Can't agree more about this.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I'm sorry but this post contains way too many facts instead of lazy generalizations and superficial assumptions - maybe I'll petition Clutch to have him reprogram the board in order to keep it from blemishing my one-note song and dance.

14. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

AB plays bowling...he knows how to angle the ball of the glass which clearly makes him the better finisher! lol..jus playin :rolleyes:

Seriously though... I think Lowry is a more efficient scorer because he's not a volume shooter, and his ability to get to the line which is why Morey was so high on Kevin Martin, regardless of his injuries, and regardless his pathetic defense.

BUT...IMO, if we have a healthy YAO, we need a guy who can consistently hit that open shot playing the starting role.

In Lowry's limited time with the Rockets, he's hit that open shot as consistently as Rafer Alston did..which isn't saying much...and we all saw how that turned out for the rockets when playoff time came around.

Before the trade deadline, our starting 5 wasnt built for the running game (Brooks, Ariza, Battier, Scola, Hayes), but we werent built for the half-court game either which is where we saw AB's ability to create with his speed, whether for himself or for others.

This is why i think Lowry was more effective coming off the bench with Landry and Budinger who could finish above the rim and ability to run the court.

If Lowry comes off the bench with Budinger, Hill and Battier, he's still going to be able to push the ball with Bud and Hill able to finish above the rim.

I think its unfair to put negative labels on either one of these players at this point. They're still VERY young. Lowry is finally getting some consistent playing time, and AB just had his first full-time starting gig (and did very well).

I think Lowry can be a nice starting PG in the nba, but i think AB has the potential and the ability to become ELITE in the league.

15. dartherus

dartherus Member

why is it stupid? Brooks trade value is at its peak right now, recent winner of MIP award....

Brooks trade value isn't likely to go higher....so, why is it that bad to propose a trade?

Brooks is a great scorer, yes, but his Basketball IQ is very low for a PG, he doesn't have at least decent court vision....

For a crappy team Brooks would be great, doing great stats at boxscore....but for a title contender, a player perhaps less fancy, but more team oriented is needed....

For isntance, including Brooks in a package (with salary fillers and sweeteners as needed) to get Chris Paul or a good backup C is not a bad idea at all...if not, explain me why please...

16. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

Very well put. Many people were using the "he can't get pt in Memphis, why do we want him?" argument right when we traded for him. I reserved my trust in Morey, because every move he made had doubters at first and proved the doubters wrong.

For those of us who have now watched Lowry for the last year and a half, I really don't understand at all how they can still use the argument that "he couldn't even be out Conley."

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I am sorry Yo Yo, all of that sounds great, so he ALMOST beat out Conley...but not quite.

And Rafer was better than Brooks, until he wasn't...then, he was traded away to clear the way for Brooks.

And....guess what? Lowry had a chance to beat Brooks out in the Preseason last year, and he didn't.

Did he break his wrist last year too? What is the excuse for that?

I know you like Lowry, me too, but I am not in love with the guy, yes he is a bulldog and draws fouls......Brooks is better.

We are not going to agree....

IMO, Brooks is a borderline all star, and Lowry is barely a starter.

DD

18. PeppermintCandy

Why trade Brooks for just a backup C? He's one of the team's most valuable trade asset. If he's traded, Morey will be trying to get back an All Star or a high lottery pick, not another role player.

I have no problem keeping him for now either. He and Lowry are one of the league's most potent PG tandems.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No, I think you trade the lessor player, and that would be Lowry.

I think trading Brooks is downright stupid...he is our only go to player on the team right now that create his own shot.

DD

20. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

If? IF? We can get a trade that nets us something better than Brooks at some other spot? Then we should move him and let Landry start? If not? Then we keep Brooks and Lowry and just be stingy until somebody actually really wants one of them for something reasonable. Until then Brooks should not be moved unless its a similar allstar or upgrade at some other position or his own if it Chris Paul Alot of knee jerk reactors trying to move our starting 20 points a game nearly allstar caliber point gaurd just for the sake of moving him because his backup got signed today. Thats ridiculous unless we have something like Danny Granger or Carmello waiting in the wings with a Brooks deal. Keep him and Lowry.