1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How 2015 Fueled The Rise Of The White Nationalist Alt Right*Movement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc rock, Dec 28, 2015.

1. amaru

amaru Member

This fact isn't scary or unknown.

2. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

There are several people from the Caribbean who identify as black, and none of this is relevant to the prejudiced nonsense you posted in the first place.

3. amaru

amaru Member

I was speaking about my country.

I'm not going to apologize for having no sympathy for rednecks. If we are just going to go back and forward on this, then let's just end it here.

4. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Cops, HR managers, judges, prosecutors, school teachers, loan officers, etc

5. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

A slur used against people who you claimed were the "most backwards" and "dead weight" in "this country," a country you're apparently now taking offense at being associated with instead of some yet unnamed "West Indian" country.

6. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

I don't know if this is true, and I don't care.

I think people, as pouhe pointed out, are mistaking "double standard" for "privilege". I am not sure at what point in time in my life I was "privileged" because of my white skin.

7. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

It's true and completely relevant.

Any ways, what do you say to people of color that say they were discriminated against? What do you say about their experiences? Do you just dismiss them?

8. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

In certain context, I do not consider it a "privilege" to not be discriminated against.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Yet you support the political party that has created, exacerbated, and maintained those divisions.

10. GladiatoRowdy

Joseph Graves: The evolutionary arguments are more important than any physical measurements because they address why and how any physical difference could exist. If Rushton cannot explain the mechanism that is responsible for any reputed difference, then his argument collapses like a house of cards. This is why his 1994 book was entitled Race, Evolution and Behavior: A Life History Perspective. Its goal was to explain using evolutionary theory (the only scientific means to explain human variation) why racial differences in intelligence exist. As I point out in my work, evolutionary science does not support this conclusion.

As for supposed physical differences in head (or brain size). First, there has been no systematic measurement of cranial sizes for sufficient numbers of populations in humans. This is important because Africa and Asia are huge continents with many populations/ethnic groups. No physical measurement taken from 1 or a few populations could be expected to represent all Africans or Asians.

Second, the relationship between "intelligence" and brain size/body ratio holds broadly over species level, but not within a species. So we can infer that Velicoraptor was more intelligent than T. Rex, but we cannot infer that any specific raptor was more intelligent than another due to differences in that ratio. In the same way we cannot infer that a larger brain gives more cognitive power in humans. Frederich Gauss, one of the greatest mathematicians of all time, had an incredibly small head and brain. Autopsy of his brain did reveal that his cerebral cortex had an incredibly high number of folds. But even if we could determine that there was a difference in cerebral cortex folding between Africans and Asians, we could not determine that that difference was due to genetic differences.

The brain's development (and hence that of the intellect) is profoundly influenced by environmental and developmental factors. Genetically identical groups of rats deprived of environmental stimuli were measured as less intelligent and had less cerebral folding than rats given environmental stimuli. In the modern world, there is no equivalence of social and physical environments between Africans/African Americans and Europeans/Euro- and Asian Americans. Therefore any intelligence difference one might measure (say in mean SAT scores, AFQT Tests etc.) cannot be shown to have anything to do with genetic differences between groups. There are far easier explanations for these differences, including social discrimination (stereotype threat), toxic environment, and malnutrition (which are all differentially visited upon African Americans). The heritability of intelligence (how much the trait is determined by genes or environment) has been estimated at around 0.50. This means that intelligence is about 50% genes and 50% environment. With this much environmental contribution, only experimental or observational designs that can equalize environment can give you any reasonable explanations. For the most part, this is impossible in racially stratified societies.

I made all these points to Rushton directly in our 1997 debate at John Jay College of Criminal Justice. To say the least he really had no cogent response.

Dr. Joseph L. Graves, Jr.
    Associate Dean for Research
    Professor of Biological Sciences
    Joint School of Nanosciences & Nanoengineering
    Suite 2200, Rm 104
    North Carolina A&T State University
    UNC Greensboro
    2901 E. Lee St.
    Greensboro, NC 27401

1 person likes this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Democratic party?

12. GladiatoRowdy

Sorry, but no. The Republicans are the ones continually creating, exploiting, and exacerbating societal divisions for their own selfish gain. If you can't see that, you're just a deluded, biased partisan.

To be fair, there are some among the wealthy in the Democratic party who throw their own gas on the fires of societal division for their own selfish gain, but it isn't their MO like it is for the GOP. It is just them being opportunistic.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry, but no. The race baiting party is CLEARLY the Democratic party. Exploiting societal divisions is also pretty much one of their go to moves. I would however kind of understand if you were incapable of seeing that as you are a blind partisan.

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

There is a very good reason why Republican are largely white. They aren't inclusive and are divisive. Trump is a perfect example. No Hispanic, No Black, No Muslim, and so on.

[​IMG]

As an example, Asian probably would lend Republican. They are a wealthy group, has a history of self reliance, of strong accountability, of strong responsibility and of strong traditional family structure. Yet the Republican has a huge 23 to 65 disadvantage among Asian. That's because Asian hear the rhetoric against other groups and understand where that feeling comes from. They aren't as targeted because of their current status but know well that if they were a larger minority group, they likely would be facing the same divisiveness and exclusiveness from the Republican party. And of course, Trump.

http://nextshark.com/joe-choe-donald-trump-asian-question/

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

No argument there then.

I was going to make the same post but you did so better than I would have.

I think the polling results for the GOP when it comes to minorities is pretty telling to me. To tie it all back to Trump, when he says those things about Muslims and Mexicans and rises in popularity among his party...you are right. I think even if it doesn't involve other Minority groups Black people, Asian people realize that could easily be their group and as such lean the other way.

16. GladiatoRowdy

Bullsh!t. I don't even vote for Democrats as a rule.

The Southern Strategy - All Republican.
    Fighting against LGBTQ rights - All Republican.
    Fostering hatred of the working poor - All Republican.

Those are but three examples and the one you trotted out is laughably inaccurate. Not all Republicans are racists, but nearly all of the racists are Republicans.

Your ignorance is hilarious!