1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HoustonTexans.Com] Kubiak names Duane Brown starting Left Tackle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, May 9, 2008.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/blogs.asp?blogger_id=16

Big mini camp news right off the bat: as of today, Duane Brown is the Texans' starting left tackle. After the team's first mini camp practice of 2008, Texans head coach Gary Kubiak named the first-round draft pick out of Virginia Tech as the current starter over veteran Ephraim Salaam.

"We’ve got to see how far we can bring this kid in the next month, so we put him right in there with the first group today," Kubiak said. "And I know it was very tough on Ephraim, and y’all know I have a great deal of respect for Ephraim and I can understand why it was tough, but as I explained to him, I’ve got to see how far I can bring this young man. But I know Ephraim’s going to do his job and I’m expecting good things from him, but we felt like we had to put this kid to work right away."

Brown worked with the first team for much of practice, facing off against defensive end Mario Williams (who looked even quicker and more aggressive than he did last year).

"He’ll be working with the first group, and that’s the only way we’re going to find out if this kid’s going to get to where we want him to go and how quick he can get there," Kubiak said of Brown. "You draft these kids in the first round to come in, and play and that’s nothing against Ephraim, as I said, and we’ve had this conversation. I understand the difficulty in that (for Salaam), but we as coaches feel like we have to put this kid to work right away."

While it's common knowledge that Brown was selected to eventually take the reigns from Salaam, it's quite a surprise to hear an announcement like this so soon.

We'll have plenty more mini camp coverage throughout the day.

- Nick Scurfield

2. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I have no problem with this. Salaam is too slow to fit this system. Let the kid start and learn on the job. Salaam doesn't match up well versus the ends in the division because they all are speed rushers.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

it would have been more of a surprise if Brown WASN'T named the starter.

4. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

I'm lil surprised by this...but i thought he would start after the bye week.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

How so? At the press conference, Kubiak and co. were making it seem like that he wouldn't be right off the back.

I like this though, give the kid some confidence and start testing him out right off the back. Going against Mario everyday should give Brown a good taste of what the NFL is like.

6. yobod

yobod Member

This is why I love Kubiak. He doesn't beat around the bush, and try and cottle players.....we drafted Brown for a reason, now let's see if he's got the skills to back up the draft pick. No reason to delay the inevitable if he's good enough right now. If he's not, then hey, we tried, and still have Salaam to plug in there until Brown does gain the experience and skillset necessary.

7. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

I thought Kubiak made it very clear on draft day when he said, "He's our left tackle." that Duane Brown was the starter.

8. gucci888

Posted this in the offseason thread..."Actually, I'm fired up about seeing all the young players and how they develop. We need a young defensive tackle like Frank Okam (fifth-round pick from Texas) to be able to step up and help us by becoming part of the rotation."

Looks like Kubiak is really gonna push these young guys to make an impact on the team. Hopefully he can put some fire into Okam because if he's motivated, physically he'll be able to come in and help out the D-Line from day 1.

9. Mattj

Mattj Member

Ephraim's starting by the 3rd series in Pittsburgh...just my hunch. They are giving Dwayne a baptism by fire and seeing how he handles it. He is not being promised the starting job. They know what they have in Salaam, and he doesn't need the reps. Right now, you can pencil in Winston at RT and Pitts at LG, every other position on the line is up for grabs.

10. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

I would say Chris Myers is penciled at Center with the money the paid him and the fact they don't have depth at the postion compared to other spots. I still hope Spencer beats out Pitts.

11. grummett

grummett Contributing Member

There's no way Chris Myers isn't the starting center from day one.

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Matt, anything new on the Charles Spencer front? Is he ahead, behind, or right on schedule for his rehab?

13. Mattj

Mattj Member

Spencer still runs with a limp...I think it's gravy if he ever plays a down again. I hope I am wrong. I don't think Myers is anything special (Though it's hard to tell from 1st impressions of a center). He may start, but I don't think he's much better than McKinney honestly, though it looks like McKinney is done with the Texans.

14. gucci888

The fact that Spencer is still running with a limp and the coaches don't want any type of contact is really a bad sign IMO. It'll be 2 years in Sept. since he got injured, if you haven't healed by then... :(

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Too bad that McKinney isn't going to be back.

16. msn

msn Member

No kidding. Excellent run-blocking, iirc.

17. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I'm good if Myers is equal to or greater than McKinney. Mainly due to the age factor.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's what I was afraid of. I feel bad for that kid (can you imagine having your life-long dream shattered before it even gets started?) but I'm sure glad we drafted Brown.

19. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Whats up with all the negativism towards Spencer's recovery? His quotes seem to point towards more of a positive direction...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3389248

Doesnt seem like he is doing much limping when he can fly up and down the field and he can explode from his stance.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He's still got a lot of work to do, but if Spencer comes back healthy, regains his form, and they find a way to fit him in, this could be a very good line.