1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston's Patrick Patterson Receives Flopping Warning

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ArtisGilmore, Nov 26, 2012.

1. turtletran

turtletran Member

Wow I did not even think about....I actually thought it was a decent idea. But youre right, until I see a "star" get this warning, then i'll actually believe it.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This makes absolutely zero sense and is quite naive and reeks of conspiracy theory gone awry.

A flopping warning has ZERO effect on the game. So superstar treatment would not effect the game. The superstar would just keep doing it and pay the fine. You make it sound like it's superstar treatment that actually effects the outcomes of games. It's just a fine. It can't actually penalize flops like technical fouls can.

Aside from Superstar treatment on these fines can't effect the outcome of games...the main reason BleedRocketsRed's point is questionable:

Lack of fines doesn't really mean this hasn't worked. A superstar like CP3 and Lebron don't need to flop to be effective. Guys like Reggie Evans and Kevin Martin need flops to maximize their game. They can't just stop.

When the NBA embarrasses people by posting videos of flops, the superstars might just quit altogether because of peer pressure to not show up on the nba video page with an embarrassing slow motion video of a flop.

The deterrent is not the fine. The deterrent to a Superstar is to not be embarrassed, so they quit in mass to avoid it.

#42 heypartner, Nov 26, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  3. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Video link doesn't work for me...links to game recaps.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

It's just Chandler attempting to turn-around hook and Patterson collapsing from behind, right outside of the semi-circle, upon smelling Tyson's pits.

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

thanks, found it:

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/4zqjZ0aKzIU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/4zqjZ0aKzIU?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I guess he could argue he banged knees and dropped from the sting of it...hard to tell without seeing more after the play..

6. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

I knew this!

We should have kept Scola, he does it much better!

7. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

I have grown to despise flops more and more over the past decade. Makes the NBA look like a bunch of sissies. I wish players would play like the grown men back in the day. Patrick is too soft. Hope he learns quick or GTFO.

8. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

9. aesthetics80

aesthetics80 Member

I've had this same damn problem for a while both on Firefox and Chrome. Not sure what the hell the issue is but sitewide none of the vids load for me. Pretty irritating.

10. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Is there a list of players that have been warned

11. Lucky Charm

Lucky Charm Member

I loved this idea of fining players for flopping but then I realized they would only punish role players and I just :rolleyes:. Just the other day I saw Lebron barely get touched and he was flapping his arms so hard I expected him to take flight :rolleyes:
    That said, Patrick did flop. I don't even think Tyson touched him lol pretty funny to watch though.

Floptrick Flopperson sounds good.

12. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

They aren't flopping this season, they are just getting calls for flinching.

13. dlite316

dlite316 Member

good pt

14. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

Good, but this is getting really embarrassing for the league. To outsiders it looks like the superstars were supposedly tricked by players who flopped on them since the scrubs are getting the warnings. The referees know damn well when a guy flops or not and in most cases it's an All-Star or at least a guy known for it. Nothing will change.

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

damn, he fell over and there was close to no contact......

16. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

So he was avoiding contact, not flopping.

17. milica

milica Member

From a European point of view, flopping is very much connected to refereeing. It originated to draw a charge in cases when the refs were swallowing their whistles.

In Europe the phenomenon of "refs swallowing their whistles" was not related so much to "superstars vs. scrubs" as in the NBA, but mostly to "home court vs. road trip" situation. Sometimes the refs tend not to whistle the charges of home court teams. (Often our home court crowd consists of soccer hooligans capable of lynching the ref. Seriously. Unfortunately, in basketball the fans are often divided along the same soccer lines.)

To eliminate the flopping, the league must eliminate the incentives, that is to have the equal charge calls for everyone (in this case the scrubs and the superstars alike).

The administrative way of punishing the flopping without eliminating the core incentive in bad refereeing reminds me of government trying to impose administrative penalties on tax evasion without eliminating the core incentive for the problem.

18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

battier is sentenced life without parole.

19. BleedRocketsRed

BleedRocketsRed Contributing Member

20. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member