1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houstonist.com] Brian Ching: Forward, Houston Dynamo

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ryan17wagner, Mar 16, 2007.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

A mere three weeks away from the Houston Dynamo's season opener vs. the L.A. Galaxy, and in the midst of CONCACAF Champion's Cup play (the next match is tomorrow at Robertson Stadium), Houstonist sat down with Houston's First Son of Soccer and picked his brain on all things fútbol.

OK, so it's the question on everyone's mind, so let's just get on with it. Beckham in the MLS: How will it affect the MLS and the Dynamo's efforts to defend the MLS Cup?

David Beckham will have a huge effect on the league. It is like having a movie star entering the league. He will draw all different types of media attention, and not just from the sports media. The fact that everyone in the country already knows that he is coming here to play is proof that he will help the league. He is also a good player who, when combined with Landon, will drastically make the Galaxy a better team.

Speaking of Europeans in the U.S., the MLS recently announced a new relationship between Arsenal and the Colorado Rapids. How do you think this partnership will affect the MLS?

I don't know how this partnership will help the MLS. I think that it is better for Arsenal to create more exposure in the U.S. It is not like they are going to start sending American players over to train with Arsenal's first team. It is also not going to give the MLS much exposure over in England, either, so I don't really see the benefit in this relationship. However, I do not know all the facts about the deal, so I could be wrong.

How hard was the (team's) transition from San Jose to Houston last year?

The move was difficult for a number of reasons, the first being family. Since many of the players are not on big money, their spouses tend to work as well. This caused a problem, with some spouses having to quit work and find new jobs. Also, it was difficult for the players and coaches with children to find new schools, communities and friends. For me, it was extremely hard because it forced me to move away from my wife, who had just started school. Many of us had to adjust to a new environment on the field with the change in climate. What really helped, though, was the fact that many of us were going through these things at the same time and were able to help each other out.

How do you feel the MLS has been accepted in Houston? Can you comment on the supporter clubs such as Texian Army and El Batallión? In general, what have you noticed about Houston fans' knowledge about soccer and the MLS compared to other markets?

Coming into Houston, the team did not know what to expect. Being accepted the way we were was a blessing. It made things easier for us on the field and really created a home field advantage like the one we had in San Jose. The Texian Army and El Batallión where amazing from the first game to the last. They provided so much energy for us on the field. Hopefully they can bring in more numbers this year and create an even better atmosphere through out the whole season.

It is rumored that the National Team will be making a few stops in Houston this summer. Do you think you will get a chance to play in any of those games, and how do you feel about the change in the coaching staff?

It would be good for the national team to come to Houston. Hopefully we can bring out more support for our national team than for the team we play against. Personally, I want to be a part of the national team, but that is not my choice. All I can do is go out there throughout the season and perform well to give myself a good opportunity to play in those games. As for the change in coaching staff, I think that it is good. It causes players that have become comfortable playing under Bruce to have to prove themselves again. The change helps eliminate some complacency that I think had occurred with some players under Bruce.

The MLS has continually had challenges being accepted by European and Mexican Leagues. Do you feel that Houston's proximity to Mexico, and its large Hispanic population, is beneficial to the Dynamo's success? How do you think the SuperLiga Tournament will play into this?

I feel that the Hispanic population is important to the Dynamo because they are passionate and knowledgeable fans. The SuperLiga tournament has a tremendous upside to it. It is going to feed into the enormous rivalry between the two countries and should create a lot of interest. Hopefully, the Dynamo fans will come out in full force for these games, because it would be nice to out number opposing fans for these games.

Can you summarize your experience at the 2006 FIFA World Cup?

The World Cup was an amazing experience for me. To be a part of a 23-man roster to represent our country was truly and honor and the highlight of my career. Going to a World Cup as a fan is something that I would encourage everyone to experience. It is one big celebration of sport and fun for everyone. am not going to say that I wasn't disappointed that I didn't get to play. It hurt, but it does give me something to strive for in South Africa.

You had some amazing plays with the Dynamo in 2006 (namely in the MLS Cup). Which stands out the most to you?

What stands out to me in 2006 was the way that our team didn't give up after being scored on in the final. It took guts and determination to come back and not give up, to keep fighting like we did all season. To me, that is what our team is all about.

There's been a lot of talk about a new soccer-specific stadium in Houston. Do you, or the team, have a preference as to the location? What, in your opinion, will have to happen to make that happen?

I would love to see a stadium built around downtown. Other MLS teams have built their stadiums in the suburbs — to me, this does not really give me the feel of a professional sport. Having a stadium downtown makes it central to everyone in the city and adds to the professionalism and credibility of soccer as a major sport.

What is one misconception you had before moving to Houston?

I did not have any misconceptions of Houston before I came. I did not have time to even think of one. We found out on December 15th of the previous year, and I had to find a place before I went to camp on the 3rd of January. There were always rumors we were moving, but I had never paid attention to them because they had been around for years.

Thanks, Brian. Houston is happy to call you our own.

http://www.houstonist.com/archives/2007/03/13/houstonist_inte_4.php