1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houstonians, Which Would You Rather Have?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ima_drummer2k, Jan 12, 2005.

?

Which would Houstonians want most?

1. Superbowl win

34 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. World Series win

68 vote(s)
    40.0%
  3. NBA Championship win

68 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Basketball interest in Houston is very, very low right now.

2. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

World Series win, no doubt.

I love the game of baseball....I hate what has become of it at the professional level.

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

I say World Series, not because I love baseball more than football and basketball. My love is like whoa. No really, it's football, basketball, then baseball.

I think when a baseball team wins the WS, it's more special due to the fact the there's not a lot of trading that goes on in baseball. You definitely can attach to the players on your team. We see, as with the Rockets, it's an ever changing face.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

World Series and NBA Championship are tied at the top for me.

Either would be ok.....I don't really follow pro football since the Oilers left.

DD

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Wow, my suspicions have been confirmed. I was going by the 12 Astro threads and the 1 Texan thread in the Hangout. Also, this Beltran thing has really shown me something. People who don't even watch sports know who Beltran is.

Personally, I'd go with the Texans Superbowl only because football is my all time favorite sport and always will be. Agree with texx, basketball (although I still love it) just isn't what it was in the 90's. The whole league is still going through Jordan withdrawal IMO.

6. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

A World Series win by the Stros for my father.

He has lowered his hopes to just seeing the Astros in the World Series, doesn't even care if they win it, someday before the grim reaper arrives.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Not even close : NBA Championship.... over and over and over and over again. :)

8. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Super Bowl any day of the week. It's the biggest game in the world.

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i had a client who just died recently. he was a huge astros fan. the first thought that went across my mind was him not ever seeing the 'stros in a World Series.

10. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

World Series win against the Yankees or Bo-Sox would be a dream come true.

11. bigtexxx

Actually, what would be even sweeter is if we beat the Mets in the NLCS with Beltran striking out with the bases loaded in the 9th to end the game. Then we beat the Yankees in the World Series with Clemens pitching a complete game in game 7 in the Bronx. Wow, now THAT would be a dream come true.

12. bigtexxx

Another thing I'd like to point out is that if this poll were not taken on a Rockets message board, I would guess that the NBA championship would get less than 10% of the votes. There's a pretty heavy bias here.

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah..i kinda snickered at the bias for baseball comment given the fact we're on a Rockets message board! :)

14. Joshfast

Supporting Member

This specific dream is very good, but put Beltran getting brushed back and knocked to the ground by Clemens a couple of times too. ;)

15. Joshfast

Supporting Member

Well the thing is, we are all mostly from Houston and were around for the Rocket's championchips in the 90's. We also have been through the Oiler meltdowns and Astro playoff disasters. If I had to pick, the Astros would get top priority, Rockets and then Texans.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's funny, I've envisioned the exact same scenario in my mind a thousand times since Saturday night. I had a feeling I wasn't the only one.

The dream is always the same. Beltran at bat with the bases loaded and 2 out. Astros up by 1 run. Clemens pitching. The MM crowd is so loud that the rafters are shaking. Strike 3, MMP BLOWS UP. Carlos mopes back to the dugout shaking his head. :D

#36 ima_drummer2k, Jan 12, 2005
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  17. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I thought about this the other night when I was watching the Guy Lewis documentary on FSN.

The Rockets, until recently, have always had a "Hometown" feeling about them for me. Rudy being there so long, Hakeem, Clyde, Calvin, and so on. That's one thing thats missing about them now, for me anyway - there's no real ties. I like them but I don't know that I would be as excited for this group of guys to win it all as I was for our teams of a decade ago. They seem more like hired guns than a team.

The Astros are just the opposite right now, Berkman, Jose Cruz, Bagwell, Biggio, Pettite and hopefully Clemens make me want to see this team go places they haven't been, and win.

18. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hey, even Rudy T was just some kid from Michigan when he came here. ;) Now we have some kid from Shanghai and some guy from Florida who demanded to come here.

I NEED another NBA championship. Watching Yao and TMac hugging each other while the balloons come down in Toyota Center would be SO AWESOME.

A close but definitive second would be seeing Jeff and Craig do the same at MMP. The Texans? Ehh, go Houston, I guess.

19. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Considering the basis of this site, I'm surprised that MLB is in the lead.

20. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NBA only.

Can't stand the other games. Horrible.