1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houstonians or transplanted Houstonians Only, Who is your favorite team?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by texanskan, Feb 10, 2009.

?

Who is your number 1 Houston Team?

1. Rockets

119 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. Texans

29 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Astros

36 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Dynamo

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. msn

msn Member

There. Fixed that for you.

2. BigVic785

BigVic785 Member

This thread got ugly really fast. It started out as an innocent question and became a barrage of insults.

3. Poloshirtbandit

I lost interest in the Rockets after the Barkley trade and was a Kings fan until the 2002 WCF then I lost interest in basketball completely. I've gradually gotten back in to basketball a little.

Been a huge baseball fan most of my life.

4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

19-10

5. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

QFT!!

6. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Once this troll said he was a Cowboy fan then started preaching to Houston fans about which team they should root for, automatic IGNORE.

7. msn

msn Member

Ooooooo you said "troll". You're going to get preached at, you better watch out. That's an "insult", and since your opinion mirrors that of the majority here, it's evidently because you "need a herd" and are therefore "weak", in other words, inferior to the poster in question. Don't worry, I'm inferior, too. And evidently my "ass" is lacking in financial assets!

8. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

I'm a little late so bear with me.

Republic-

On your family analogy, I actually kind of used something similar when explaining the Titans issue.

If you are married and your wife leaves and it doesn't work out..........you get divorced. You don't keep buying her dinner and staying in the same house. You don't make plans to take vacations together and you don't celebrate the holidays together. You move on. At least most people do, I don't know if your situation is different. :p

I'm a fan of my city and its teams. If one leaves, then it really sucks, but they're no longer my team. I can still hope they do well, but can't root for them. I Can still watch the sport and enjoy it, but its a lot harder without someone to root for.

You can't live in the past. As for fair weather fans, it annoys me the people that jump on a popular team when they're successful i.e. cowgirls, fakers, yankees and so on.

Okay, with that out of the way. Its tough, but I have to go Rockets first, Texans a very close second. Although I like the NFL more than any other league and am not a big fan of the NBA. I don't know if that makes sense.

Stros are just a notch ahead of the Dynamo, but once I'm home and see the guys in orange live, that may change.

9. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Yup.

How Republic doesn't get this is beyond me. We didn't abandon our team; our team abandoned us.

As for me, #1 is easy: the Rockets. I'm a Houston native born in 1975 with vague memories of Phi Slamma Jamma and remembering watching the '86 Rockets take on the Celtics in the finals. I bleed Rockets red, even when they wore blue. I've happily followed them for as long as I can remember. Well....not always happily[/], if you get my drift, but they're my #1 team, always have been and always will be.

I have similar memories of the Astros back in the '80's, but when spending got out of control and the Yankees and other top-revenue teams were basically able to afford to buy anyone they could possibly want, I lost not so much interest, but definitely passion. I think it remarkable the way the Astros have managed to stay relevant and consistent in spite of this, but the lack of a salary cap in MLB has caused me to view it as a broken sport. Until the financial playing field is even and fair, I won't be pouring my heart into the Astros. I imagine that if I was from NYC and a Yankees fan, I would feel that we were somehow cheating. The 'Steroids Era' has also done damage to MLB in my eyes, as well. All that said, the Astros are my #2.

The Texans are my #3. When the Oilers left, I quit following the NFL altogether. They've been a joke for years now, but they're still my team, and they're (hopefully) going to keep getting better. I wish to all hell we could have the name and colors of the Oilers, but that's never going to happen.

To sum up: if it's a Houston team, it's MY team, regardless of the sport.

10. plcmts17

plcmts17 Member

Rockets, Dynamo/Texans (tie), UH,.................................Astros

From High School to College to NBA history, I still don't understand how basketball isn't number 1 in Houston.

11. Republic

Republic Member

Fair enough, sounds good enough to me. Regarding the family stuff though, I never said you continue buying her dinner, etc. All I meant was "once loved = always loved" in my book. Someone else said something about your wife taking the kids and moving away. Well, quite frankly, the law makes you continue your support in a case like this (regardless of your feelings), so that was the "limitation" on the issue of support as I was trying to explain. If someone gives me children, I don't have any option not to continue supporting/loving/whatever. Thus, family is always family. Similar to my "franchises always being my teams" although not quite as serious.

In any event, I suppose it comes down to why we pick the teams we do. For me, in the case of becoming a Cowboys fan, I suppose it had to do with my dad (and to a lesser degree my mom) liking them. Once I got old enough to realize what football was all about and began playing, the Cowboys were one of the dominant teams at the time. As luck would have it, I had the opportunity at a very young age (while in pee-wee football) to meet Randy White and Too Tall Jones. I got both of their autographs, a Randy White jersey (framed and I still have it to this day) and well, because I played defense, it kind of grew from there. Meetings like this can have a really huge impact on kids. I never considered myself anti-Oilers growing up, although I did have some "uber Oilers fans" friends that were annoying at times. Anyone with a brain had to love Earl Campbell. I thought highly of Bum Phillips (the best coach in his family), etc.

Anyway, what I'm saying here is, being pro-Cowboys isn't always anti-Houston. Well, at least for me it isn't. My loyalty is Cowboys first, and Houston teams 2nd (hometown status and all). I'm definitely not anti-Houston anything. I find it kind of amusing reading through some of these comments that so many assumptions were made. It just goes to show you how easily some people need a label for someone they don't know yet. I won't stoop to their level, as they clearly do more to show what they're about than I have time to point out ;)

I was the first in my family born in Texas. I've lived every minute of my life (outside of my 6 years of school in Boston) in Harris County. There's nothing wrong with expanding your horizons to include something outside of this city. I simply don't understand all the anti-Houston insults thrown my way ;) I've been here longer than a lot of you.

Being for something is not necessarily being against something else. I simply don't understand this sort of thinking.

12. Wakko67

I see what you're saying, but being there so long you should know the H-Town vs dallass thing. I try to explain to people that its like NY/Boston. We just have the rivalry. I don't think Yankees fans get too much love in Bean Town.

It is what it is and I won't say that I don't get in on it. I've long said that the only good thing to come out of dallass is 45 South.

13. Republic

Republic Member

Yeah, I understand the rivalry thing. However, even with basketball I find myself having an uncommon point of view regarding our other Texas teams. I actually find it easy to like the Spurs. I have no idea why, but I've always sort of liked them. At the same time, I cannot stand the Mavericks. I never have liked them. Both teams are "natural rivals" to the Rockets but I like one and hate the other. I have no reason that I can put a finger on, it just happens this way. The Spurs seem like "good guys" when our own good guys aren't playing or something, I don't know ;)

14. Wakko67

The Spurs?

Aww man you are lost! :D

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been lurking in this thread for a while now and am honestly surprised to see that it's still as contentious as it was early on. With that said...

1. Rockets
    2. Dynamo
    3. Texans
    4. Astros

16. Bruins&RedSox21

Hey guys, 1st post here at ClutchFans so please dont be too harsh. As you can tell by my name here on the boards, I & my family have major family history in New England. However, I was born here in Houston. I grew up watching & rooting for the Red Sox ever since I was little, & I rooted for the Bruins too. Patriots & Celtics were watched too, tho not as often. Texans football arrived in 2002, & I've been pumped ever since. I watched the NBA Finals in 1994 & 1995 when the Rox took it all. Because of my firm foundation in the Red Sox, & Houston has no NHL franchise, I hang on mostly to those 2 franchises. Rockets & Texans make up the other half of my fanhood (& a little bit of the Trail Blazers & Nuggets) So the location argument with Republic & others can be argued either way, but to call out Texans fans isn't necessary on a Houston-based board. I HATE the Yankees & Canadiens with all my heart, but if i liked the Knicks I would call out Yankees fans. Thats just asking for it. On the other hand, I'm not looking for any trouble. But the answer to the question, I have to choose the Texans.

17. Wakko67

I hear you on that. Man I wish we had an NHL team.

18. Republic

Republic Member

Abso-freakin-lutely. I would love to be able to go to NHL games again.

19. msn

msn Member

That is great, really. Thanks for sharing that.

I agree that being "pro-Cowboys" isn't always "anti-Houston". You said you "understand the rivalry thing", so hopefully you understand some good-natured ribbing is headed your way when you declare your Cowboy fanhood. (And no, I'm not saying all the comments here have been good-natured; more on that later.)

Look, your first post here rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. That's all. People responded in kind to you, and you took exception. My comments were rude, and I knew they were. You said something extremely rude and offensive about my city, you didn't admit to it, so I didn't care.

You didn't qualify it as your "opinion" at the time. You continued to repeat this over and over, and folks piled on. Then you complained that we were insulting you, and starting crowing how you wouldn't "stoop to our level."
    Wow, man. In other words, if we don't think precisely like you, we're "fairweather". Can you not see how offensive and insulting this is? I'm asking honestly, man. I know I said rude things to you--and I did it on purpose because this stuff pissed me off (no excuse). Now I'm asking you if you can own it. Do you see, or do you not see, how arrogant and insulting this statement is? (This statement--not you--there is a difference.)

So, the only way to be a serious sports fan is to be one who thinks of franchises like you do? Otherwise we're fairweather? If that's not what you meant, then please clarify. I've already asked this once in this thread.

...this was said in response to folks trying to explain to you what it was like--how bitter and angry we were--when our Oilers left. On the surface, this response doesn't sound like someone trying to understand others, but simply someone crowing about how his position is better. Hence the vitriol with which several of us dealt with you. Are you understanding where I'm coming from, or are you simply going to respond to me with another condescending sermon and inform everyone how you're not going to stoop to my level?

...and he didn't even insult you. I was rude to you, others were rude. But not Max, other than wishing aloud that you would go away. I thought you weren't going to stoop to this level?

Don't you see the irony? I thought those of us who related to the Titans differently than you think we should were "fairweather" or "bandwaggoners" or "smaller football fans".

You were disrespectful, in all the quotes I outlined above, to everyone who doesn't feel about the Titans the way you think they should, and very disrespectful to Max.

I'm not quoting all the trash you dished at me, as you were just responding to my rudeness.

And there's equally nothing wrong with folks who want to support teams from Houston simply because they are from Houston.

Well, if you weed through all the vitriol and backlash that came in response to some of your rudeness, you'll find that some of the stuff flying around is good-natured smack talk. At least IMO. But I understand--several of us flung a lot of poo at you.

Agreed. Again, it was just because your first couple of statements were so lightning-rod-like, especially when you started with the whole "you need a herd because you're weak" stuff.

Anyhow, this long post is an easy target to make fun of; I'm sitting here watching CSI and copying some strangers BBS posts. No excuse for my rudeness earlier, I'm just wondering if you can see *why* some of us were so pissed with some of your comments, that's all. Not asking you to change your opinion.

20. Republic

Republic Member

Hey tough guy, read my quote again. You have a serious comprehension issue, on top of many others I won't continue discussing here. I'll go ahead and post it here for you to see AGAIN.

"True Houston football fans should be Titans fans imo"

Do you see the letters imo at the tail end of the statement? That means "in my opinion". How the hell did I not qualify my OPENING POST as my OPINION when I directly stated it as such?

Get over your damned self already. You read more into what I said than I ever intended. Hell guy, you even cut and pasted my comment in the post I'm quoting from above! That shows exactly what you're all about. You're reading what you want, ignoring the truth and meaning so you can continue being a tough guy. Go ahead, pile on more insults. You're doing more to show your true colors than I could ever hope to bring out.

That said, I've enjoyed the other people's comments here. Hopefully we can overlook this continue BS from MSN. I for one am sick of it.