1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houstonians or transplanted Houstonians Only, Who is your favorite team?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by texanskan, Feb 10, 2009.

?

Who is your number 1 Houston Team?

1. Rockets

119 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. Texans

29 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Astros

36 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Dynamo

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

shhhh..if you're quiet, maybe he'll go away.

2. Republic

Republic Member

Yeah um, I didn't say you did. That was directed to the "fan-when-I-feel-up-to-it"" MadMax. You can even see his name on the quoted text.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What does "fan-when-I-feel-up-to-it" mean? Based on Max's comments, I am probably in a similar boat. If a Houston team is playing I follow the game, but I have other things that pique my interest more than some random NFL, NBA, MLB game.

4. msn

msn Member

Hence the prefacing "Personally" in my comment. If you want to have a private conversation with Max, e-mail him.

"Fan-when-I-feel-up-to-it" indeed. It's amazing how people can assume airs of superiority based upon their perceived affinity to something as unimportant in the grand scheme of things as a game. It's a *game*.

5. MadMax

Damn, I thought we lost you.

6. MadMax

Oh my Lord, stop it!!!!! It's bad enough it's here.

7. msn

msn Member

my bad! although i have to say i agree with some of his commentary on congress.

8. Republic

Republic Member

Go away? Yes because certainly one who disagrees with you and demonstrates a different point of view is certainly "less" than you eh? Please bud, 42,000 posts doesn't equal genius, it equals a lot of free time. I have not been disrespectful to anyone here in spite of being called a few names, etc.

Message boards are like cow pastures sometimes. The weak need to seek the protection of the herd for survival. If you'll take notice, I don't really require a herd. Often, especially in sports subjects, different opinions are just that. They aren't more right or more wrong than others. They are just different. I appreciate most of them so long as they are backed with some kind of logic (whether or nor I personally agree with them). More people should adopt this attitude here.

Don't insult someone different from you (didn't your momma teach you this growing up?). Instead, ask yourself what you might be able to learn from them. Peaceful co-existence can happen. A Rockets forum such as this can bring Cowboys, Oilers, Texans, Titans, Steelers, and (the lowest form of life known to man) Redskins fans.

Let's focus on what we have in common, the Rockets, rather than what we don't. At the very least, let's drop the passive-aggressive insults. I'm pretty sure that's beneath all of us.

9. msn

msn Member

WHAT???????????

You have referred to our city as a bunch of bandwagonners. You have said that our city doesn't matter. You have said that if a Houstonian is not a Titan fan he's not a "true football fan".

You expect to spew crap like that and not get a backlash? Your first statement here is full of juicy irony.

Now you're calling those who disagree with you "weak".

Starting with you. Because your behavior here is nowhere near what you're typing. We're not true football fans because we don't think like you, right? Surely that's the only explanation, right? We're bandwaggoners because we want to follow a team from our own beloved city rather than one that bolts for another, right? That's the only explanation, right?

Two men have good advice for you:
    Agreed! Now, take back all the insults you hurled at us to start this crap. Yeah, I thought I'd hear crickets chirping.

In other words, let's all play nice while Republic hurls insults.

10. MadMax

I have not called you a name. I haven't insulted you. I have not touted my stupid post count, which I typically make fun of myself about here.

I'm just hoping the condescension goes away.

11. msn

msn Member

Condescension is a much better term for what has been going on here. It's amazing how someone can employ a tone like that, then respond to "i wish he would go away" as if he and his earthly line were being mortally insulted.

12. MadMax

You only feel that way because you're weak and need a herd, though, msn.

13. msn

msn Member

Too bad I changed my sig! It would be so timely now! I kept it ever since 2002; I knew I shouldn't have changed it.

Always drink upstream from the herd.

14. dtowninyourtown

dtowninyourtown Contributing Member

Well I was never old enough to watch the Oilers so whenever the Texans came into the league, I started watching football. If the Texans were to leave town like the Oilers did, I don't think I'd stop watching them immediately but I probably would once Andre Johnson, Steve Slaton, and Mario were gone. And if we were to get another new team, I'd most likely be a fan of that team because they represent my hometown.

BTW, I also drafted Slaton with the last pick in my fantasy league. He ended up being one of the most consistent players on my team behind Andre and Calvin Johnson.

15. Republic

Republic Member

eh, no I didn't. What I said was it wouldn't matter how many sports teams left Houston, they simply aren't as much of an impact on the league as the Cowboys. Anyone conscious in the past 30 years knows the Cowboys are one of the elite sports franchises (i.e. Celtics, Lakers, Yankees, Canadiens, etc.) And no, I don't like all of them, I'm just aware of their respective history, etc. Also, I said that in my OPINION (based upon my own personal experiences, approach to supporting my teams, etc.), that Houston football fans should be Titans fans. Opinion isn't fact. I didn't feel it necessary to disclaim that my opinion could be taken or left.

eh, no I'm not. I'm saying all this passive-aggressive tough guy talk is pretty weak. How about you speak for yourself rather than posting quotes from others to make your points? That might be a little more respectable.

I believe in your first comment to me, you called me r****ded. Since then, I think I've been really decent not to get down in your gutter. You've even taken it lower more recently (prick).

I'd settle for you taking things in context and speaking for yourself. Hurling different points of view should not equal hurling insults (r****ded, prick, among others).

/shrug

16. msn

msn Member

For the record, I quoted someone else who called you r****ded.

It is as I suspected though: you flat don't see it. It's pretty common on Internet BBS's, really. Someone comes flying in with an inflated view of his own intelligence and his own goodness, talks down to everybody else, then pontificates with an even more condescending tone when everyone else responds in kind. The common denominator: they never see their own puffed-up-ness.

"shrug", as you like to say.

17. msn

msn Member

one more thing bro: get it right--I rarely toss out an insult, so when I do, I want it properly represented.

I did not call you a prick. My insult was much more sweeping than that. I called all Cowboy fans pricks. Got it? :p

(in case anyone actually needs a disclaimer, this post is pure tongue-in-cheek trash talk. cowboy fans, current company included, are not pricks. even when they insult entire cities)

18. Republic

Republic Member

I see. Then um, why quote them if you didn't agree with/mean the sentiment yourself?

Own up cowboy, you'd at least be more respectable. Don't play the word game with me. You posted the quote (which didn't even originate in this thread) as a direct insult to me. Fact is, it was your opening statement to me. Nothing you've said since has mattered.

Your ass can't cash the checks your mouth is writing. Period. Say what you mean and mean what you say. Even those who disagree will usually respect that.

19. Republic

Republic Member

Eh, that was a mistake above. What I meant to say was the quote didn't even originate as an insult meant the way you were using it. I didn't take the original statement to be as insulting as your usage of it, as it was more of a point of not understanding my original statements (which have been subsequently explained more than enough times for the original person flinging that word around to understand). That's acceptable to me.

20. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

In the order of your poll options.