1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houstonians or transplanted Houstonians Only, Who is your favorite team?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by texanskan, Feb 10, 2009.

?

Who is your number 1 Houston Team?

1. Rockets

119 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. Texans

29 vote(s)
    15.3%
  3. Astros

36 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. Dynamo

5 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

well I voted for the Rockets

the Astros and Texans are about the same for me since I enjoy the NFL more but have history with the Astros

I see it different, yes Drayton and this era has been the best in Houston baseball history but still I demand more I want titles and even if T-Mac/Yao era does not work out we will see Les rebuild this thing and give it another run.

The Texans seem to be doing things the right way but it is too young in their history for anyone to have as deep as passion as we did with the Oilers

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

that's fine...but you asked if Drayton had an effect on me being an Astros fan. That's the question I answered. Honestly, if you can't be an Astros fan during his ownership period, when can you be??? They were pathetic and an after-thought for nearly all of my life growing up. They were in freaking receivership before McLane bought them.

I can certainly understand someone liking the Rockets or Texans more...nothing wrong with that. I can't understand someone saying they used to be a fan of the Astros but Drayton has soured them on it....not if they were really a fan of the Astros pre-Drayton.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Would you agree that the Astros have been more successful in the last 10 years than the Rockets?

4. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

Rockets

Texans

Astros

Dynamo

5. MadMax

he demands more....like 10 years of not winning a playoff series.

6. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I agree, they had one of the best runs of any team in the late 90s and 2000s. They may not have won a World Series but the Astros in recent years have always been in contention for the playoffs, which isnt too bad

7. Republic

Republic Member

So then, if you have no hometown team, you aren't a sports fan? Tell me what that existence is like. I can't relate.

8. MadMax

When the Oilers left town, that's exactly right...I found myself completely disinterested in the NFL. I lost my team. They left.

You use a daughter analogy....I'll use the cheating girlfriend one.

9. Republic

Republic Member

I'm not sure I understand the thinking that being pro-Cowboys is necessarily being anti-Texans. /shrug

I never said I was against them, I'm glad we have a team simply to make it easier to enjoy the NFL product on the field. Also, being a Cowboys fan (or any other team) doesn't mean I'm colorblind and can't see the crap around my team. I cannot tell you how much I hate the fact TO is a Cowboy. I have disliked Jerry Jones from day 1. I cannot stand the treatment Jimmy Johnson received. I wish they would end the experiment of "virtual convict" player projects. etc. Anyway, this isn't a Cowboys forum, I think I'm going too far off subject. My main point in this post is there's no way I'm completely accepting of some of the crap around my team.

That said, I'm a huge Andre Johnson fan. I've had him on my fantasy team for 3 years running. This year, I also picked up Slaton (for which I was severely mocked in our pre-season draft). As the season went on, well, let's just say THAT mockery stopped.

In any event, I'm not anti-Texan. I'm just anti-fairweather. To me, there was a LOT of fairweather following of the Oilers. That's all.

10. MadMax

How old are you? Where were you when the Oilers were playing in Houston?

In the 8 years leading up to Bud's demands for a new stadium, they sold out the Dome at 110% capacity. He was demanding a new stadium at least in part because he wanted more seating capacity...because he didn't have enough seats to sell.

I grew up here and loved the Oilers. I lived through all that crap and my team being ripped away. Stop with the fairweather crap.

11. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Another example, my dad is from Baltimore and was a HUGE Colts fan. He lived down the street from Johnny Unitas and that was his hero growing up. But when the Colts up and left Baltimore, his love for the team went away. I don;t know anyone who hates the Colts today more than him.

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I rooted for the Oilers from the time I was 9 years old in 86 until they left for Tennessee. My family had season tickets most of my life in the Dome. Weak analogies can't change that

The day they changed their name to the Titans was the day I was done. After my team moved cities and changed identities.

I highly doubt that if the Cowboys moved to Sacramento and changed their name to the Trojans you would still be pulling for them

13. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

1)UH Coogs Football/Hoops
    2) Rockets
    3) Stros
    4) Texans (Oilers was my 1st love but they ripped my heart out)

14. msn

msn Member

McMullen. I know that's what you meant, but just clearing it up for those who weren't yet born. :p

15. Republic

Republic Member

...and ultimately you finally reached the bottom line difference between us...

I'm a bigger football fan. I can't imagine losing interest in that way.

16. Republic

Republic Member

100 sports teams can come, move in, play in, and then leave Houston and it won't matter much. The Dallas Cowboys leaving Dallas throws the earth of its axis. Luckily for their fans, they can exist without ever having to worry about that.

17. Republic

Republic Member

That's a shame. You missed out on seeing one of the best RB's to ever put on pads (Earl Campbell).

18. Republic

Republic Member

In any event, back on track here...

In my opinion, the Astros are the most significant and meaningful sports franchise to this city. That said, I consider it a tie between the Rockets and Astros as my favorite Houston team. As the Gamblers wasn't a poll option, I'd rank the Texans 3rd ;)

19. MadMax

:D If this will end the discussion, I'm fine with it.

20. msn

msn Member

Personally, I didn't lose interest in NFL football in the least. I really enjoy it. I still watched two or three games a week when work permitted. My favorite teams before the Oilers left were the Oilers and whoever was playing the Cowboys. After they left, my favorite teams were whoever was playing the titans and whoever was playing the Cowboys. I've always had an affinity for the Dolphins, Packers, and Patriots, too.

You'd think the Titan hate would subside, but they keep doing things like having number retirement ceremonies for Warren Moon and Bruce Matthews and hanging those numbers up in freaking Nashville. They belong HERE. In HOUSTON.

Ever wonder why Houstonians hate the Cowgirls and their prick fans? Houston doesn't have to matter to you. But it matters to us. And, the earth would be "thrown of [sic] its axis" due to a couple million Houstonians falling to the ground laughing their asses off.

The 'boys aren't nearly as relevant as every deluded cowgirls fan likes to think. The NFL is actually bigger than Dallas. For me, the less I hear about the character-void prima donnas from South Oklahoma, the better.