1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston to bid for Super Bowl LI (UPDATE: Houston lands 2017 Super Bowl!)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Jet Blast, May 23, 2012.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

This is pretty awesome. :)

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...hes-dallas-area-s-chances-to-host-in-2018.ece

2. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

this hotel will be up by GRB in 2016 ready for the super bowl..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Fantastic!!! Let's celebrate by blowing up the Astrodome.

4. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

5. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

They brought up an interesting point on NFL Network earlier about Miami possibly falling out of the rotation due to the stadium, and the possibility of bad weather like in 2006 (lots of rich people got rained on). With the power outage in New Orleans a few months ago, I wonder if there's a chance that they have more places in regular rotation? If Houston does a good job as host again, perhaps we could get a Superbowl every 7 or 8 years.

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Would be interesting to see if the SB helps force a decision.

7. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Just rip down the walls, pave it and charge $1000 for covered parking.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

I don't get it, can somebody explain to me why the media or whoever doesn't like the fact that Houston will be hosting the Super Bowl? It's Houston in the Fall, so weather shouldn't be any issue right?

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Because it's the age of bloggers and Twitter where you're not allowed to like any decision that's made.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Ummm..I can assure you the stadium won't be empty for a Super Bowl.

11. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Great!
    Taj Boyd to the rescue!

:)

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it's the golden age of b****ing

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Did you just compare a boring venue such as the NBA all star game versus the Super Bowl?!

REALLY?

[​IMG]

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just wait till they start routinely going to cold weather cities.

I really hope the SB in NYC is a big flop this year. Nobody want to spend one night, let alone one whole week, in cold weather when they don't have to.

Houston now is the first city of the "new stadium" cities to get the game again... totally based on merit (and less on flash of the city). I doubt Detroit or Jacksonville ever gets the game again. Indy actually impressed (much like Houston did in 2004), so they probably will get one again.

Dallas is on the same "thin ice" (literally) that Atlanta was on before they flopped in their last SB. Atlanta will never get the game without an even newer stadium. Dallas only has one more realistic chance of showcasing a no flaw event or the NFL will have serious second thoughts about having it there as well.

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I would think Phoenix, Arizona would be in the same "new stadium" cities category and the stadium in Glendale is getting the SB the year after New York.

16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed... but I put Phoenix in the "ideal city" category... much like why San Diego has gotten tons of Super Bowls with a crappy stadium. Also, Tampa fits in this category as well.

Phoenix has possibly the best stadium in the NFL (i feel its better than Reliant and Dallas mainly due to their ability to grow a full grass field), and the area is very conducive to the bilionaire lifestyle (good weather, golf, spas, close proximity to west coast).

Houston is the first "non-ideal city" to get a repeat run. As I mentioned before, this includes Detroit, Jacksonville, Indy, and southern oklahoma.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones on Houston landing Super Bowl LI: "The presentation was one of the best I've ever seen."</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/336997354534215681">May 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>More Jerry Jones: "Bob McNair came into the league as maybe 1 of the top 4 or 5 owners &amp; has probably elevated himself up to the best one."</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/336998294792327168">May 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>More Jerry Jones on Houston landing Super Bowl LI: "I congratulate Houston."</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/336998589458944000">May 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Patriots owner Bob Kraft on Houston: "We're so happy.1st of all I love Houston Super Bowls. I have a very fond memory of being down there."</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/337001192674701312">May 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>More Kraft on Houston &amp; SB LI: "To be very frank I think there was a certain goodwill factor for Bob McNair &amp; what he means to the league."</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/337001734595571712">May 22, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Eagles owner Jeffrey Lurie on Houston/Super Bowl: "It's really well deserved. Wonderful owner in Bob McNair. It was a no-brainer.Overdue"</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/337004347252678656">May 22, 2013</a></blockquote>

#117 J.R., May 21, 2013
    Last edited: May 21, 2013
  18. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Hopefully this will expedite in fixing the freakin' roads, especially inside the loop.

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Not sure of your point...or are you just being contrary?

Among all the NFL fans I know IRL, they all consider the Pro Bowl a joke that nobody ever tries at AND it is normally in Hawaii which costs many times more to get to than continental US sites. I dont know anyone who has actually watched that worthless waste of time in years.

TL;DR Nobody gives a crap about the Pro Bowl and therefore has nothing to do with my point.

20. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Jerry with the compliments.